Using The Ed Education Visa To Stay In Thailand

I know alot of younger people who can't qualify for any other long term visa are using the education option to learn Thai and also stay in Thailand. The percentage of those have a real passion to learn Thai I couldn't say, but certainly there are many who are just going to study route as a visa loophole. I don't blame you, I am on your side if you want to stay in Thailand.

However, I am somewhat puzzled about this for the long term. So, let me ask you this. Eventually, you will learn your Thai, and your ED visa will be no more. Then what? Leave Thailand well versed in Thai, and for what purpose will you use that Thai outside Thailand?

Edited by Jingthing

I know alot of younger people who can't qualify for any other long term visa are using the education option to learn Thai and also stay in Thailand. The percentage of those have a real passion to learn Thai I couldn't say, but certainly there are many who are just going to study route as a visa loophole. I don't blame you, I am on your side if you want to stay in Thailand.

However, I am somewhat puzzled about this for the long term. So, let me ask you this. Eventually, you will learn your Thai, and your ED visa will be no more. Then what? Leave Thailand well versed in Thai, and for what purpose will you use that Thai outside Thailand?

I study at Webster Uni. Thailand (soon to transfer to BUIC). I'm doing just this. i just want to be in thailand. I dont care much for my education. I do enough freelance work that lets me make 10 times the amount of money i need to actually live. After graduation, i'll just find some easy job (probably teaching) that I only have to work a few hours a week, but gets me a work permit...

Easy easy.

I think thet the Non-ED "loophole" as you put it, is fine and dandy. The old way of endless visa runs are long over, That has made some people get Non-ED visas and they have to attend school in some form. Heaven forbid someone who stays long term in LOS learn to speak, read, and thereby better understand Thai and Thailand . Heck, I'd get one if I needed it.

GunnyD

Yes, I think its great to learn Thai. But I think it would really suck to spend years learning Thai in Thailand and then be kicked out because you don't qualify for any other long term visa. As we know, the days of visa runs and tourist visas buying you a long term stay here are history. Now, I wouldn't wonder the same thing of people living in Peru for some years to learn Spanish and then being kicked out for visa reasons, because you can use Spanish everywhere. Thai is so limited outside Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

I thought that Ed visa for learning Thai was only issued once for one year (I had one many years ago). I know that Uni etc get renewals.

Yes, I think its great to learn Thai. But I think it would really suck to spend years learning Thai in Thailand and then be kicked out because you don't qualify for any other long term visa. As we know, the days of visa runs and tourist visas buying you a long term stay here are history. Now, I wouldn't wonder the same thing of people living in Peru for some years to learn Spanish and then being kicked out for visa reasons, because you can use Spanish everywhere. Thai is so limited outside Thailand.

There are other options. Once a person speaks more Thai then all sorts of opportunities exist like getting married, supporting a family, getting a work permit, or taking other higher education programs.

For me the ED visa gets me closer to Non Imm O with the over 50 requirement.

If you want to stay and your under 50 and have extra 20 to 50K bt a year to throw around then its very easy. Its basically a visitor tax.

Thanks Cobra. I had imagined some people are wisely using the ED option as a transition phase. I do feel bad for people who don't have a plan B for after the ED visa who will have to leave when they don't want to.

a crazy idea, but after education how about getting a non-immigrant B/work permit and working...

I'm on an ED visa now at Chula. I'm 49, so it could be seen as a stop-gap before I turn 50 and can get a retirement visa. (Although I'm married, we didn't have the correct tax papers last year to enable me to get an O marriage visa).

I'm lucky that I also have the option next year of getting a visa to support my Thai son. But my plan is actually to extend my ED as a marriage visa and then waiti a couple of years (working/paying tax) and get PR. I'm only just over 2 years away from that, with 5.5 years in Thailand already under my belt.

Simon

I'm on an ED visa now at Chula. I'm 49, so it could be seen as a stop-gap before I turn 50 and can get a retirement visa. (Although I'm married, we didn't have the correct tax papers last year to enable me to get an O marriage visa).

I'm lucky that I also have the option next year of getting a visa to support my Thai son. But my plan is actually to extend my ED as a marriage visa and then waiti a couple of years (working/paying tax) and get PR. I'm only just over 2 years away from that, with 5.5 years in Thailand already under my belt.

Simon

Can you get a work permit on an ED visa?

I think everyone is just trying to find a way to play with the system and stay here, not so much thinking about the future in terms of us not being able to live here..I'm 46, a freelance photojournalist, cannot get a work permit with what I do, but have enough income to stay here no problems...i'm waiting for 50 and the retirement visa...at this point, I've gone 3 years getting double entry tourist visas and one Non B as I travel to enough countries frequently enough to have this method make more sense economically than getting an ed visa or paying for a one year non B. We all do what we need to to make things work.

We all do what we need to to make things work.

Yes, I appreciate that. I played all kinds of games to stay here when I was 48 until I turned 50. This was before the day counting frenzy and the tourist visa crackdowns. It wasn't bad at all to get to know Malaysia and Singapore.

I didn't think you could get a WP on an ED VISA - being married, isn't a 'o' non-imm and doing visa runs for 15 months (and then the required trip abroad to renew your non-imm 'o') better (ED required a 1.9k fee each quater too, this covers the cost of the Visa run).

I just got a new Non-Imm 'O' from my home country's consulate without any finance requirement at all; other than a signed declaration that I can afford it.

My understanIing is you can renew (out of country) an ED Visa for Thai for up to 3 years as long as you are advancing (taking a higher course). However, if you are taking an accademic course, then you can cover the whole course - especially if it is a government Uni.

Edited by wolf5370

Can you get a work permit on an ED visa?

[\quote[

You used to be able to, but they changed the rules..

For PR via marriage/family route, my interpretation of the application requirements is 3 years on an extended non-immigrant visa with 2 years of paying tax/work permit etc. (For PR due to employment, it is 3 years of tax/WP). So that's why I need to change to a marriage visa so I can pay a bit of tax...

Simon

• 4 months later...

I just posted this one on another thread, seems relavant here also...

I was searching for a similar topic. I think I'll post a new thread for my case, but just want to add a comment on the above here.

I have a work permit and am on a non immigrant ED so it is indeed possible (I read so people saying it was not possible before I tried and succeeded), I am not working as a teacher though. I have been studying at Bangkok University (BBA Marketing degree) for the past 3 years and had a work permit for the past 2. Renewal have been quite painless, in my case the work permit has probably been the easy part.

My question was the feasability of obtaining an Non-Immigrant B as I want to work full-time and therefore will not meet the minimum number of course to renew the Non-immigrant ED.

Is there any limit to one's ability to renew the non Imm ED visa? I am also financially secure and don't need to work in Thailand though if I found a suitable way to work for myself I would as one can always use more money. I have been researching this as my recent posts in other threads indicate.

In the meantime i am studying Thai, I am a good student and take it seriously but it should be no secret I am also enjoying the benefit of being in Thailand. I don't see any harm in this as I'm here on an ED visa and I am studying as it requires. I just wonder how long I can do it. In my opinion people like me should be just as desirable as retirees as the only thing I do is bring money into Thailand but don't take any out.

I can afford to do this for quite a while but how long will immigration allow it? If there is some type of limit for studying Thai then I would like to know if I could study at the University level to keep it going. As long as I am following the law as to what the visa is intended for then why not allow me to keep doing it? I wonder what the requirements are in regards to University study as far as minimum hours required. For the Thai Language visa I have been told it is 3 hours a day every week day. If I could study Thai or be a University student part time for remainder of my stay in Thailand which may be several years from now I'd be pretty happy. Are there any long, long term students here that can chime in?

It is my understanding new work permits will not be issued if you are on an ED visa entry. This is a recent change (June I believe).

As long as you study do not believe there is any set limit to the amount of time you can obtain ED visas. For the language believe it is limited to several years but that seems to cover you.