1st Border Run

DavidOxon

Is there any alternative to having 20,000 in baht on your person? I don't like the idea of walking around all day with that much money. Can you show a bank statement instead?

I understand that if and when they ask, they want to see currency.

The whole purpose of this is to prevent indigent/penniless people from entering the Kingdom....not really such an unfair proposition, when you consider the much more stringent laws on entry to western countries.

It's not always enforced; a lot depends on one's personal appearance/profile. I wouldn't take the chance- if you have the money, take it! cool.gif

I know this thread is few months old but I am about to make a border to Mae Sai soon. I have done it twice before and have never brought anywhere near the 20k requirement or have been asked to show it. But having read on this thread that an ATM card (with available funds) may not be any good if I cannot access a ATM machine, will they accept a combo of Thai and other currencies such as US dollars?

I understand the rule behind the 20k requirement (prevent indigent/penniless people) but it would feel so strange and bewildering if one just left the Thai border and then upon returning 15 minutes later being denied re-try. :o