Roast Beef

Lickey

Mrs went to the village market yesterday, i told her to buy some fillet or sirloin beef cut, it was 75bht for 1/2 kilo, she put it in a pot with 1pint of water, covered with silver paper in the oven for 2 hours at gas 220, then let it rest for 30mins while roasting the veg ect, when it came to carving the beef, it fell apart, just like stewed steak, you know, just like the Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies, but it was really tender, so the next time we do roast beef, there must be a cut-off time to stop stewing and start roasting, or the other way round? anyway, the water and fat from the beef with a beef oxo made an excellent gravy!! any ideas to cook it and slice it, like real roast beef? Thanks, Lickey,,

Mrs went to the village market yesterday, i told her to buy some fillet or sirloin beef cut, it was 75bht for 1/2 kilo, she put it in a pot with 1pint of water, covered with silver paper in the oven for 2 hours at gas 220, then let it rest for 30mins while roasting the veg ect, when it came to carving the beef, it fell apart, just like stewed steak, you know, just like the Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies, but it was really tender, so the next time we do roast beef, there must be a cut-off time to stop stewing and start roasting, or the other way round? anyway, the water and fat from the beef with a beef oxo made an excellent gravy!! any ideas to cook it and slice it, like real roast beef? Thanks, Lickey,,

To cook a roast that will allow you to slice it put in a roasting pan with very little water. Cook 30 min a lb. @ 350 degree F or 176 C. Add potatos rubbed with olive oil and seasoning to the pan.

Where on earth were you able to find sirloin for 150/kilo? Are you in Bangkok by any chance??? :o

Here's my standard for roast beef:

Preheat your oven to very high 500f or 240c.

I like to use the large top end of carrots and the stalk end of celery for making a base to rest the roast on, along with some thick sliced onions.

Arrange these in the roasting pan to make a bed for the roast to sit on. Add some crushed whole garlic cloves, and throw in a couple bay leaves and a sprig or two of rosemary.

Add some red wine and stock to cover the veggies by about half.

Bard the roast with some streaky bacon. That is place slices just overlapping to cover the roast.

You can also add other veggies around the roast, and potatoes.

Place in the oven and turn down to around 300f-325f, can be higher but I like lower, but takes more time.

Replentish the stock in the pan if it starts to dry out.

For me I never cook by time, only internal temperature. Normally I pull at an internal temp of 135f. Let it rest covered for at least 20 minutes. This will produce a med rare roast, at least for me.

For the gravy:

Take the veggies out you want to serve, and pop the rest thru a food mill along with all the juices.

Make a brown roux and add to the juices to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.

I never heard of or seen cooking a roast in water.

We always used a small amount of oil or fat in the pan and cover the meat in it also. The juices from the meat come out and facilitate the cooking, so not much oils required.

Add vegies around it and this produced a delicious roast.

Over here though we cook a roast beef on the spit over the bbq, basted with virgin olive oils and herbs as it cooks. Again juices facilitate the cooking and turns out excellent.

I have bought some amazing local beef in Bangkok for prices from 300 to 600 per kilo.