Official Dates Of The Songkran Period

cali4995

I saw a sign in a shop's doorway reminding me they would be closed from

Sunday, April 13th through Saturday, April 19th. And then, realistically we

need to have a "lead-in" phase and a "taper-off" cycle so it looks to be easily

10 solid days of water-soaked fun. The only approved apparrel for the event

would appear to be flip-flops, hawaiian shorts and a plastic bag for your money.

I'm also thinking strongly about some of those swimmer's goggles this year. :o

Never forget Songkhran is FUN FUN FUN and you WILL enjoy it no matter how often you get soaked whilst trying to live some semblance of a normal existance. Any voice of dissent will NOT be tolerated and will be the subject of verbal and aquatic abuse verging on CIA sanctioned interrogation techniques.

Songkhran IS great fun but it is just getting hijacked by the farang led hooligan element and, certainly in Pattaya, going on too long. Fortunately my leave cycle straddles the festival so I don't have to try and avoid it. If I could be there for the 19th, and only the 19th, I'd be there like a shot but life aint like that.

So, for those that enjoy Songkhran have a happy and safe time, and for those who don't remember it is a good time for a vacation or extended visa run.

I saw a sign in a shop's doorway reminding me they would be closed from

Sunday, April 13th through Saturday, April 19th. And then, realistically we

need to have a "lead-in" phase and a "taper-off" cycle so it looks to be easily

10 solid days of water-soaked fun. The only approved apparrel for the event

would appear to be flip-flops, hawaiian shorts and a plastic bag for your money.

I'm also thinking strongly about some of those swimmer's goggles this year. :o

13, 14, and 15 April are the official days.

Songkhran IS great fun but it is just getting hijacked by the farang led hooligan element and, certainly in Pattaya, going on too long.

Songkhran is no fun at all....especially if your sole form of transport is a motorcycle. It's one thing to go out for the day expecting to get soaked, but it's an entirely different matter if you need to go shopping or do any other necessary chores. Even a raincoat and leggings won't keep you dry because they (farang led hooligans) make sure the water gets in...and of course they must use ice.

I had a very difficult time keeping a doctor's appointment once during Songkhran (PIH) as there was absolutely no way to get there dry, and hanging out in the aircon at the hospital soaking wet is no way to travel if you're feeling sick.

I HATE SONGKHRAN!

13, 14, and 15 April are the official days.

I thought these were the national days, but the Naklua's official day is the 18th, and Pattaya's the 19th, hence the reason it gets dragged out for so long, but I don't think you will see it extended beyond these dates.

In Chiang Mai, it is no problem to go shopping in the morning or the evening. I would guess that Pattaya is the same? :o

Yes it is UG, but some people will whinge regardless.

As for the 'farang led hooligans' I think the Thais would be doing a pretty good job without us. Most first timers get a little over exuberant because they see the Thais doing it, and naturally follow suit.

In Chiang Mai, it is no problem to go shopping in the morning or the evening. I would guess that Pattaya is the same? :o

Songkran in Chiang Mai is pretty unique in my experience - it's actually a lot of fun because it is contained and the people show restraint. It's the only large scale destination I have seen where they abide by the rules and you can indeed go shopping in the evening after a day of water throwing, without fear of getting attacked. Bangkok and Pattaya, well, the farangs have lost the plot I'm afraid - don't know about Phuket yet but I'm going to find out pretty soon.

The problem in Pattaya is that the water 'fun' begins early: I expect there will be some who try to start it on April 10th. In all fairness however after the last day of madness. That IS it and any extension beyond that last day is not tolerated by anyone even in Pattaya.

• 3 years later...

I'd like to disagree with @ex member. Song Khran in Chiang Mai is absolute madness.

On the Super Highway motorcyclists are treated with heavy waterattacks that might run you of your wheels.

Like everywhere in Thailand it seems to be fun to attack a family of three on the moped from a overtaking pick-up truck with

of course iced water. If that hits the moped driver in the face he/she and the family will probably end up in hospital or worse.

Sure, 2day there are so called quiet zones in Chiang Mai. No booze and only the respectfull ritual as it used to be.

Harder to find these places and how to get their dry? No containment, I am sorry. The crowd has no mercy.

Like poster 'tropo' stated; you cannot get to an appointment without arriving soaking wet. That means only that you should not make any appointments of interest during Song Khran. Absolute madness for a week and almost everything closed for a week.

Till far out in the countryside of Chiang Mai you are water treated by young and older people. Silly, they sit all day next to the road to 'surprise' their victim coming around the corner.

Mostly I used to dive into the scene for one day and that was more than enough. At Loi Kroh...yes, the farang are worst. It seems that for them Song Khran means hurting people with ice cubes, ice cold water or blazing water bazookas.

I certainly have had it. Yes you are right. I stay home alright.

For all lovers anyways...have fun!

Edited by hugocnx