Cable Tv Chiang Mai

venturalaw

I think that Fox News is entertaining as heck and just as "unbiased" as BBC or CNN (because they are all biased). I read a number of news services on the Internet every day with different perspectives as well as blogs by liberal and rightwing nutjobs - all with their own agenda - so I don't think that anyone is going to "brainwash" me. :o

I think that Fox News is entertaining as heck and just as "unbiased" as BBC or CNN (because they are all biased). I read a number of news services on the Internet every day with different perspectives as well as blogs by liberal and rightwing nutjobs - all with their own agenda - so I don't think that anyone is going to "brainwash" me. :o

Well This explains a lot

The difference between the Fox propaganda and brainwashing service and news entities like the BBC or even to a lesser extent CNN, is that Fox is generally regarded as highly biased and has been proven on multiple occasions to "bend the truth" to support their own message. This has happened only once or twice in my lifetime with the BBC and, on each occasion senior heads have rolled at the corporation.

As an exercise, try doing a Google search for Bias and add your news service of choice, BBC, Fox, CNN etc.. Evaluate the reputability of the commenting entities. Even Al Jazera commands far more international respect than Fox for the standard and lack of bias of their reporting.

If you don't mind my correcting you CMT, the correct spelling is Fox "News". :D

Hmm, I thought it was "Faux News"..

While on Phuket a couple of weeks ago, my hotel advertised UBC but it was something else and I assumed it was We but perhaps not. No CNN and BBC was such terrible reception it was unwatchable. I could try contacting the hotel, or you could, to ask what they use. The hotel is the Local Motion in Karon Beach and I just got off the phone with a friend there and he is sure it is cable but doesn't know which one.

While sick for a few days there I watched quite a bit of Faux News since there wasn't much else on and was absolutely stunned how extremely American right-wing biased they are. And no, I am NOT a Democrat or a Liberal before anyone even starts. Presentation of so-called news, interviews, talk shows, news analyses.. almost all that I saw hosted only right-wing panelists and pundits and seemed to have no interest whatsoever in alternative viewpoints. I actually find it sad that such biased programs are viewed by foreign nationals and no longer wonder why America has lost the respect of so much of the world. Ah well...

Good luck finding your "professional wrestling" kind of entertainment... :o

I think that Fox News is . . . just as "unbiased" as BBC or CNN (because they are all biased).

That's as unsound a statement as saying that the air in Chiangmai is no more polluted than the air anywhere else in the world, because it is polluted everywhere. If something is a little bit whatever, it is not at all the same as being a lot whatever.

If you don't mind my correcting you CMT, the correct spelling is Fox "News". :D

Hmm, I thought it was "Faux News"..

While on Phuket a couple of weeks ago, my hotel advertised UBC but it was something else and I assumed it was We but perhaps not. No CNN and BBC was such terrible reception it was unwatchable. I could try contacting the hotel, or you could, to ask what they use. The hotel is the Local Motion in Karon Beach and I just got off the phone with a friend there and he is sure it is cable but doesn't know which one.

While sick for a few days there I watched quite a bit of Faux News since there wasn't much else on and was absolutely stunned how extremely American right-wing biased they are. And no, I am NOT a Democrat or a Liberal before anyone even starts. Presentation of so-called news, interviews, talk shows, news analyses.. almost all that I saw hosted only right-wing panelists and pundits and seemed to have no interest whatsoever in alternative viewpoints. I actually find it sad that such biased programs are viewed by foreign nationals and no longer wonder why America has lost the respect of so much of the world. Ah well...

Good luck finding your "professional wrestling" kind of entertainment... :o

Sorry Dustoff, I forgot there were two legitimate spellings.

I see your mad mate goes back to work Wednesday.

I think that Fox News is . . . just as "unbiased" as BBC or CNN (because they are all biased).

That's as unsound a statement as saying that the air in Chiangmai is no more polluted than the air anywhere else in the world, because it is polluted everywhere. If something is a little bit whatever, it is not at all the same as being a lot whatever.

I appreciate all of your supportive and helpfull comments regarding my request. Perhaps we will be able to meet face-to-face at Tuskers Bar on May 10.

I'm watching 'Fox & Friends', their morning soft news show, as we speak. (Apparently they do have friends then. :D )

And before that "The Beltway Boys" who reported that Angelina Jolie is 'on our side' as she seems to support the surge in Iraq and committing to keep doing stuff overthere. See, I wouldn't have known that if just sticking to the usual serving of liberal leftist news on BBC and CNN.

Can't post how I'm doing it though as that would break forum rules, probably, and we wouldn't want that now would we.... :o

Edited by Jefferson

The difference between the Fox propaganda and brainwashing service and news entities like the BBC or even to a lesser extent CNN, is that Fox is generally regarded as highly biased and has been proven on multiple occasions to "bend the truth" to support their own message. This has happened only once or twice in my lifetime with the BBC and, on each occasion senior heads have rolled at the corporation.

As an exercise, try doing a Google search for Bias and add your news service of choice, BBC, Fox, CNN etc.. Evaluate the reputability of the commenting entities. Even Al Jazera commands far more international respect than Fox for the standard and lack of bias of their reporting.

A few years ago when Lebanon captured an Israeli serviceman and was shooting missles at Israeli cities, I had both the BBC and CNN in my house, but I noticed that both networks did a lot of whining about Israel "invading" Lebanon while barely mentioning the reason why. As far as I could make out, Israel seemed to be attacking them just for the fun of it.

I just happened to visit Pattaya for a few days during that time and had Fox News in my room and they covered BOTH sides of the story very well for the whole time that I watched it.

I'm sorry, but I believe what I actually see a lot more than what the mass media or their mind controlled dupes (not you guys of course) tell me to believe. :D

...highly biased and has been proven on multiple occasions to "bend the truth" to support their own message. This has happened only once or twice in my lifetime with the BBC and, on each occasion senior heads have rolled at the corporation.

If I remember correctly, It was not very long ago either! :o

...highly biased and has been proven on multiple occasions to "bend the truth" to support their own message. This has happened only once or twice in my lifetime with the BBC and, on each occasion senior heads have rolled at the corporation.

If I remember correctly, It was not very long ago either! :o

BBC is rubbish and its been that way for a very long time. ITV news is perhaps least biased among british media these days.

Personal opinions about alternatives to an OP's search for something are normal, and often helpful, but shouldn't this thread remain a bit more on track in helping the OP find his/her desired programming?

The cable on Phuket not only carried Fox but quite a number of sports and English movie channels so should fit the bill. I have someone checking on Phuket and will let you know...

Perhaps, but at least you know what you are getting. What bothers me more are news organizations that pretend to be impartial while doing their best to manipulate the viewer to their point of view.

Al Jazera and Fox News make it easy to read between the lines. :o

If you PM me I will give you the address of my relatives in Issan who have over 19 water buffalos. They would be more than happy to part with a similar version of Fox News that accumulates in the field at the back of their house.

Looks slightly different than the original but deffinately smells the same.

Perhaps, but at least you know what you are getting. What bothers me more are news organizations that pretend to be impartial while doing their best to manipulate the viewer to their point of view.

Very good point, UG, and the reason I used professional wrestling as an analogy. While legitimage sports always have an undercurrent of betting and manipulation by Big Money, pro wrestling does not even pretend to be a contest and you never have to think about who is going to win since the outcome was decided long before the 'match'.

The people that disappoint me are the ones who have moved away from the Western bubble yet still think that mainstream American or British media, owned by 'Skull and Bones' corporate and communications giants, are anything but right-wing machines. While they are far more subtle than Fox or Al Jazera, their manipulation of the masses of our citizenry is the same.

A mildly interesting thread but I still don't see what this has to do with Thailand other than answers to the OP's original question.

Just a general observation about WETV (so, maybe a tad less :o )...........

When I moved house last December, I took the opportunity to give WETV a try - after a year of UBC at the previous place. Three months in and I can definitely say I'm glad I did. For 350 baht a month (less than 20% of a typical UBC package), I get a range of channels that suit me fine - three English-language movie channels that are not constantly repeating the same ones over and over (as does UBC) and a good range of news (or with ABC - part news) channels. Being a news junkie, I flip between BBC/CNN/ABC/AsiaNewsNetwork and yes......... Al Jazeera English. No premium sports channels available - but that suits me just fine.

The reputation of Fox/Faux "News" clearly precedes it - but I think many are falling into the trap of seeing Al Jazeera English in the same light (i.e. biassed to the hilt). I worked for 3 years in production at ITN and and have some knowledge of what it takes to provide the kind of full-on global reach service that Al Jazeera does - they have spent a fortune on facilities and high-reputation talent in front of and behind the camera......... and seem to be keenly aware of the need to gain and maintain a reputation for balanced reporting in as comprehensive a way as possible. No single channel (or print/online publication come to that) is going to give you the "master" picture of what's going on - the logistics let alone possible agenda just don't allow for it; as UG implies, you have to trawl around to even get close to that.

I did spend some time exploring Al Jazeera online before and it's really difficult to gauge to what extent their coverage (because of language comprehension and local/cultural targeting) is "slanted" in the way that we understand the term. After 3 months of watching their English service (in rotation with the other news channels mentioned as well as occasional forays into online NY Times/Washington Post/Guardian/Times etc reports and articles), I can only say that I find it very useful and much less predictable than many appear to think. If I also had Fox News available, I would at least be dipping into that too................ if only for what I hear is the entertainment value.

BTW, while being a Brit I'm also half-German - so maybe that's why I find myself puzzled by the regular comments about the BBC being "rubbish". Uh - compared to what exactly? These services are all ratings-driven to some extent - including the Beeb. They'll generally choose what to show based on "getting there firstest with the mostest" [sound familiar, UG? :D ]. Between its massive TV, radio and (increasingly) online correspondent presence and editorial/production firepower - that puts the Beeb in a handy position........... though they won't always make the choices all of us think best.

O.K. agreed. You are right about that.

I do like a good fox news bashing thread. I can only presume that the OP was setting us up.

"Do you know where I can get Fox News?" :D

I watched fox news for a year when it was the only available English language news on my cable service in PhraKanong. It was a funny light entertainment channel, but how do they get a broadcast license for a news channel?

On a par, or better than the BBC. Unbiased. :D UG, please Sir. Watch what you like, but don't defend that propaganda channel that has zero news coverage.

Though to be fair they do entertaining spots. I remember the one when one of the female presenters came on with a smug looking grin and said "We'd like to thank all of our watchers in Cuba." :o:D

Fox News is no worse than CNN, just the polar opposite. If you want real news I suggest do not watch, read AP/Reuters News wires - no opinion interjected. Tele News now is more entertainment than what it should be....

Great advice as usual brit! :o