Terry Cloth

ollylama

anybody know where i might start looking for uncut terry cloth (the material used for towels and bathrobes)? i want to have some bathrobes tailored. i don't think it's available through the regular material shops at warorot market.

also, if anyone knows where i could find cheap ready-made terry cloth bathrobes, that would be cool too.

sounds odd in this weather i know. but there's a method to my madness.

also, if anyone knows where i could find cheap ready-made terry cloth bathrobes, that would be cool too.

Try any of the larger hotels. Their robes are often for sale. They'd certainly know a supplier.

Intriguing :o:D .

anybody know where i might start looking for uncut terry cloth (the material used for towels and bathrobes)? i want to have some bathrobes tailored. i don't think it's available through the regular material shops at warorot market.

I saw a 'white shop' somewhere in the Wararote Mkt area. Only sold white sheets, towels, quilts, curtains, etc. It's possible they sell terry cloth by the yard. The shop was outside, on the street rather than inside one of the market buildings. Sorry I can't tell you more.

However for the very best terrycloth robe you've ever worn, take a look at the L.L. Bean website. If they are still selling them, their terry robes are the thickest, densest, softest (I can't think of any other 'ests' but if I could they would apply) robes you'll ever find. An ex bought me one about 25 years ago as a birthday present. It's still going strong today. I can only use it here in Thailand on the coldest winter mornings, but it is pure luxury. I've never found one in any hotel to match the quality of the cloth.

I feel like I saw the white shop before too, but not for a long time now. I might be down in Warorot tmw, OrryRama and may ask around for ye. I've been looking into the bathrobe scene recently too and find there is scant supply, and hardly done to Farang tastes at that. Most that are here are produced for the Japanese market is my impression. I can point you to those stores if you just give the old RTD a ring. And you know.... the white store could very well have been Pik-Lik which makes their stuff well, but it's all quite bad for our tastes I'm thinking - everything looks like a cheap cotton tablecloth intended to be lingerie and pajamas. It's a Thai guessing at Northern Euro fashion and maybe Amer Mid West fashion at best. I think the biz does ok though, there are outlets in Airport Plaza and now I believe I passed a new one on ChangKlan down by the Changrillah. Best of my recollection though, ain't no terry cloth there neither.

I feel like I saw the white shop before too, but not for a long time now. I might be down in Warorot tmw, OrryRama and may ask around for ye. I've been looking into the bathrobe scene recently too and find there is scant supply, and hardly done to Farang tastes at that. Most that are here are produced for the Japanese market is my impression. I can point you to those stores if you just give the old RTD a ring. And you know.... the white store could very well have been Pik-Lik which makes their stuff well, but it's all quite bad for our tastes I'm thinking - everything looks like a cheap cotton tablecloth intended to be lingerie and pajamas. It's a Thai guessing at Northern Euro fashion and maybe Amer Mid West fashion at best. I think the biz does ok though, there are outlets in Airport Plaza and now I believe I passed a new one on ChangKlan down by the Changrillah. Best of my recollection though, ain't no terry cloth there neither.

I wish I could remember exactly where I saw that shop. I know it was in the Wararote mkt area, but have no idea exactly where other than it was facing a street and could be seen when passing. And I only remember it because at the time I was having a difficult time finding flat white cloth in very wide sizes for a photo shoot I was doing. After purchasing some regular bed sheets the day before, I passed that shop and was PO'ed that I hadn't seen it sooner!

As for the quality of robes offered by hotels here, the cloth could be used for stripping paint of old cars. No amount of fabric softener and beating in a tumble dryer will soften it up. Somehow the idea of a starched terry robe doesn't work for me.... On the other hand, you do save on hangers. These things can stand up by themselves.

Cotton, linen and silk robes are all found in the hotels and spas, in various styles.

Pick a style, find your fabric and have them made up. Post again if you need further help.

P.S. Night Market will surely have silk robes.

Edited by sylviex

Cotton, linen and silk robes are all found in the hotels and spas, in various styles.

Pick a style, find your fabric and have them made up. Post again if you need further help.

P.S. Night Market will surely have silk robes.

thanks. i've already got the design. what i need is terry cloth. know where i can get it?

I don't know.

But you might try calling Chiang Mai Fai Thong Silk Shop (05323-3419, 05325-2453, 0817167702, 0850376810).

The boss speaks adequate English, but may you may need Thai for specifics.

It's firstly a silk shop, but she's a very good business woman, and I have seen her produce cottons and other fabrics.

Worth a try.

Let us know.

I don't know.

But you might try calling Chiang Mai Fai Thong Silk Shop (05323-3419, 05325-2453, 0817167702, 0850376810).

The boss speaks adequate English, but may you may need Thai for specifics.

It's firstly a silk shop, but she's a very good business woman, and I have seen her produce cottons and other fabrics.

Worth a try.

Let us know.

P.S. Neglected to say that the shop is close to Warorot market, but I won't attempt to give directions. If you telephone, they will explain to you/your driver.