My First Impression Of Koh Phangan

I've been on Samui 7 months and look out towards Koh Phangan almost everyday. But I had never been until yesterday.

This was just a day trip - took 11:00 ferry there and 17:30 ferry back. Arrived in Haad Rin - ate and drank at a few places. Hung out on the beach. Then went to Thongsala for an hour and returned to Haad Rin for some more drinking before hopping on the ferry back.

First impressions: This is Thailand? Where are all the Thais? 95% just white 20-somethings. Looked more like MTV's Spring Break in Florida than Thailand. The Full Moon Party is a week away. I'd hate to be there then. There were no Thais on Haad Rin Beach. On Chaweng Beach, you see a lot of vendors selling footballs, corn, souvenirs, etc in addition to other Thais. Nothing but young farang as far as the eye could see. We stopped off at one place to use the toilet and even ordered a drink first. My friend went in the wrong door and the woman there started screaming for him to get out of the bar and refused to serve us. I've been drunk in a lot of bars on Samui and I've never seen rudeness like this. I would guess it's just like Spring Break destinations in Florida where the business owners see so many drunks destroying things that they hate them even while taking their money. Songthaew prices were even higher than Samui. From Haad Rin to Thongsala was 100 baht per person firm. On a Sunday afternoon? Should be half that at most.

Certainly not long enough of a trip to form a complete picture of KP but this is only my first impression. I'll go back again - but stay away from the southeast part of the island.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on Samui 7 months and look out towards Koh Phangan almost everyday. But I had never been until yesterday.

This was just a day trip - took 11:00 ferry there and 17:30 ferry back. Arrived in Haad Rin - ate and drank at a few places. Hung out on the beach. Then went to Thongsala for an hour and returned to Haad Rin for some more drinking before hopping on the ferry back.

First impressions: This is Thailand? Where are all the Thais? 95% just white 20-somethings. Looked more like MTV's Spring Break in Florida than Thailand. The Full Moon Party is a week away. I'd hate to be there then. There were no Thais on Haad Rin Beach. On Chaweng Beach, you see a lot of vendors selling footballs, corn, souvenirs, etc in addition to other Thais. Nothing but young farang as far as the eye could see. We stopped off at one place to use the toilet and even ordered a drink first. My friend went in the wrong door and the woman there started screaming for him to get out of the bar and refused to serve us. I've been drunk in a lot of bars on Samui and I've never seen rudeness like this. I would guess it's just like Spring Break destinations in Florida where the business owners see so many drunks destroying things that they hate them even while taking their money. Songthaew prices were even higher than Samui. From Haad Rin to Thongsala was 100 baht per person firm. On a Sunday afternoon? Should be half that at most.

Certainly not long enough of a trip to form a complete picture of KP but this is only my first impression. I'll go back again - but stay away from the southeast part of the island.

you were only on the island for 6 hours or so and by the sounds of it most of that time was spent in a bar. as sbk said 'not much reason for a review'.

Edited by 5tash

.....edit.... 20 years ago with the little wooden bridge across to the Reggae Bar...).

Just my opinion.

as it became so worn and unstable that it had to be torn down... first people arrived on Samui with fishing vessels from suratthani...things do change...once upon a time Malorca, Tenerife, Gomera, Kos, Goa, Nepal and numerous other places have been virgin, untouched what to do, tell everyone to "stay home"?

Besides before "the little wooden bridge" the RP was twice on a different location....!

Guess we have to move with time and the changes... my opinion!

Hadrin is not the entirety of Koh Phangan, just as Chaweng is not the only place in Samui. Given your limited experience, not much of a reason for a review.
you were only on the island for 6 hours or so and by the sounds of it most of that time was spent in a bar. as sbk said 'not much reason for a review'.

touchy, touchy.

At the end of my original post you'll see this, Certainly not long enough of a trip to form a complete picture of KP but this is only my first impression.

A FIRST IMPRESSION is not a complete review. When you go to a nice restaurant, your first imression comes from the person who greets you at the door. When you go for a job interview, the first impression you give is your appearance and how you greet your potential employer. Living in a place for a year isn't required for a FIRST IMPRESSION.

I realise those of you living on KP love it and get defensive easily. I'm sorry it upsets you, it wasn't my intention. If it was, I would have chosen a different title for the thread.

People living in paradise should be more relaxed.

.....edit.... 20 years ago with the little wooden bridge across to the Reggae Bar...).

Just my opinion.

as it became so worn and unstable that it had to be torn down... first people arrived on Samui with fishing vessels from suratthani...things do change...once upon a time Malorca, Tenerife, Gomera, Kos, Goa, Nepal and numerous other places have been virgin, untouched what to do, tell everyone to "stay home"?

Besides before "the little wooden bridge" the RP was twice on a different location....!

Guess we have to move with time and the changes... my opinion!

True, we all change with time. Chawang has changed for the worse with over development. It now looks and smells like Bangkok. Not my kind of beach destination.

Each to their own.

Any chance of keeping this on the topic of Phangan?

Here's a suggestion. I wrote that I would return (but not to Haad Rin). How about some suggestions on other parts of the island to check out? Is there anything in the north? What about inland?

Here's a suggestion. I wrote that I would return (but not to Haad Rin). How about some suggestions on other parts of the island to check out? Is there anything in the north? What about inland?

The North East in my opinion is by far the best part even though the inevitable development is now taking place.

My overall view of KP is that it is more laid back than Samui, but the South Eastern part is generally to be avoided ,and that

the Thais are generally unfriendly. I think that this is because many of them are not local and have not been exposed at length to the boorish behaviour of the lager louts who infest Had Rin etc.

Try the beaches and restaurants on the NE they are worth a visit. :o

Haad Yao - "Long Beach", ...Haad Salad, Haad Mae Had with Ko Ma...in the west, Sunset side of KPG...Haad Tien North East of Haad Rin..Than Sadet Waterfall...

Hadrin is not the entirety of Koh Phangan, just as Chaweng is not the only place in Samui. Given your limited experience, not much of a reason for a review.

touchy, touchy.

At the end of my original post you'll see this, Certainly not long enough of a trip to form a complete picture of KP but this is only my first impression.

A FIRST IMPRESSION is not a complete review. When you go to a nice restaurant, your first imression comes from the person who greets you at the door. When you go for a job interview, the first impression you give is your appearance and how you greet your potential employer. Living in a place for a year isn't required for a FIRST IMPRESSION.

Indeed, but neither would I go to a restaurant, have an appetizer and a drink and then post a review about it giving the place a failing grade comment. :o

As for nice places on Koh P, sorry, I don't get around the island that much, once every year or so over to TNP, round the western side, much more often, so I couldn't give you an up-to-date report, just my accumulated perceptions over the years.

I haven't been to Mae Haad in a few years, but it used to be very quiet, very beautiful, with good snorkelling off Koh Ma. Haad Yao, on the west, is a nice beach but, IMO, very overbuilt. Haad Salad appears to be heading that way, or at least it seems that way to me judging by the number of new resorts that appear to be springing up there. Still a very relaxed place tho, friends of mine have the very nice Salad Huts there.

Ban Tai and Ban Kai are both pretty nice and laid back, not the greatest beaches but more readily accessible to the nightlife than the other beaches. And now that the jungle parties are being shut down at 2am, bound to be a tad less noisy than before.

As for Hadrin, I've always described it as Khao San road on the beach.

Indeed, but neither would I go to a restaurant, have an appetizer and a drink and then post a review about it giving the place a failing grade comment. :o

I guarantee if I asked you about that restaurant you would tell me what you thought and not "Oh, I don't know enough to give a properly informed opinion". And if you couldn't tell anything about the place after going in, reading the menu, ordering some food and drink and spending some time there I would have to wonder. :D

As for Hadrin, I've always described it as Khao San road on the beach.

That's what I said to the friend I was travelling with. This morning I got a call from another friend asking how I liked it. He also mention Khao San Road. He should have told me beforehand so I would have been more prepared.

"If you asked me" is the key here, I said I wouldn't post a review :o

This is a forum for Koh Samui & Koh Phangan. It's inferred that readers want topics about Koh Samui & Koh Phangan. If all posts/topics must be researched thoroughly before posting then there wouldn't be many at all. Even so, my topic is "My First Impression of Koh Phangan" so thorough research isn't required to reprot a first impression. Now, if I had called it "Koh Phangan is a Bad Place" then it would be a different story.

Since you haven't been to Haad in years, I for one would love it if you went there and posted your opinion of what it is like today. I wouldn't need the bit about how it was so much better years ago - regular readers of this forum are familiar with that theme. I would be interested in your other thoughts about it though. Do you think you might be able to make time to check it out this week? Now I'm asking. :D

Anyway, if Hadrin is Khao San does that make Chaweng Sukhumvit? :D

No idea. Someone should start a new thread about it. :D:D

Full Moon, not a chance. I am assuming you are referring to Mae Haad, which is from all reports of guests who have been there in the past few days, still nice, still quiet. Haad means beach and there are quite a few places with the word Haad in them.

Just a thought, perhaps next time you should make your title a bit more accurate: "My first impression of Haadrin: a failing grade". :o

On Chaweng Beach, you see a lot of vendors selling footballs, corn, souvenirs, etc in addition to other Thais.

To me this is an advantage of going to Koh Phangan, no vendors trying to charge you silly money for crap every 5 minutes.

Took my parents (in their 60s ) to both Lamai and Haad Yao last year, without a doubt Haad Yao and Koh Phangan was favourite. No broken bottles on the beach, no vendors, and overall a nicer bunch of people.

But, the accommodation on Lamai was surprisingly much better value for money. And even Thai massages at Haad Yao were close to twice the price of massages on Lamai.

I avoid Haad Rin every time I go there, and have always proffered the quieter areas of the island such as Haad Salad.

Edited by burman

Agreed.

Samui: 7 months experience

versus

Phangan: 6 hours experience

Hmmmm...big deal and NOT fair.

LaoPo

Agreed.

Samui: 7 months experience

versus

Phangan: 6 hours experience

Hmmmm...big deal and NOT fair.

LaoPo

Christ Almighty. FIRST IMPRESSIONS. Already fully explained. My intention wasn't to compare one island with the other so please stop strying to steer the topic that direction. All I said was I didn't see any Thais like I have anywhere else in Thailand. You want my first impression of Samui from 7 months ago? I can't honestly say I remember. I was just happy to be here and wished they'd find my dam_n baggage (took 6 days).

Ban Tai and Ban Kai are both pretty nice and laid back, not the greatest beaches but more readily accessible to the nightlife

what do you mean by nightlife, the parties? i ask because i was thinking of moving to ban tai until i realized there isn't really any nightlife there other than girl bars, karaoke, and the crappy moon parties.

Well, Hadrin has bars, Thong Sala has a few bars that aren't girlie bars. Compared to the rest of the island, these are hopping places. Ban Tai and Ban Kai are generally halfway between these two places. I wasn't talking walking distance btw. You want walking distance then you should stay in Haad Yao, which has a couple of places, or Hadrin which is full of places to go out to at night, and not just places on the beach.

First impressions: This is Thailand? Where are all the Thais? 95% just white 20-somethings.

I assume this whole thread is a joke.

So you go to Chinatown in Los Angeles and complain: This is America? Where are all the Americans?

No one could possibly be unaware of the significance of Had Rin and the Full Moon Parties....

Well, Hadrin has bars, Thong Sala has a few bars that aren't girlie bars. Compared to the rest of the island, these are hopping places. Ban Tai and Ban Kai are generally halfway between these two places. I wasn't talking walking distance btw. You want walking distance then you should stay in Haad Yao, which has a couple of places, or Hadrin which is full of places to go out to at night, and not just places on the beach.

hmm never been in thongsala at night, maybe i will check it out.

First impressions: This is Thailand? Where are all the Thais? 95% just white 20-somethings.

I assume this whole thread is a joke.

So you go to Chinatown in Los Angeles and complain: This is America? Where are all the Americans?

No one could possibly be unaware of the significance of Had Rin and the Full Moon Parties....

I am aware of Full Moon Parties. They happen one day a month. I was there almost a week before. I was not aware that so many showed up so early. So does the FMP mean one week before and one week after for the partiers? I thought they were travelling around Thailand and stopped in for the party and then continued on with their journey. Now I'm aware that's not the case.

The Chinatown anaolgy is horribly flawed. Most of the residents are American citizens. I can't posssibly believe that someone here still thinks that Americans are all either black or white. That must be a joke. As for Haad Rin, are these white 20-somethings Thai citizens? Maybe Haad Rin should change it's name to Ban Farang?

OK, I get it. You are not aware that Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao are holiday resort islands that are frequented by foreigners. It's an understandable mistake. All those restaurants and bars and resorts along the beaches of Chaweng and Lamai (for example) were built for the enjoyment of Thai holidaymakers. Odd that there seems to be so many non-Thais there, even when the full-moon party is far away. Maybe they are attending a sunscreen convention of some sort. Best wait till they all go home and you'll feel better.

Of course you got a big dose of foreigners at Had Rin because you were just a tad too early; if you had come a few days before, you'd have seen that all the hotels and resorts, all the pubs and all the souvenir shops would be packed with locals and Thai tourists. It would be just like where you stay in Samui, staring at Phangan....

:o:D :D :D :D

Well I found this thread quite useful, I'm going to pop over from Phuket for a couple of days next month as KP is a place I've wanted to go for a while. I won't get much more than a first impression either but it's nice to hear peoples views even if they are based on just a day in the place. It's also given me an idea of what the places are like so that I have a rough idea of what to expect when I get there.

Good opening post, and interesting to hear how things have changed a bit since I was last on Koh Pga Ngan 2 or 3 years ago - for a start, a songtaew from Haad Rin to Thong Sala was 50 Baht then.

As for SBK and everyone else, give the poor guy a break! He went to Pha Ngan for 6 hours and decided to write about it here, and the result is an interesting and possibly useful topic. If I was the OP and received the hostile reaction that you guys have all given him (except for JonnyF, the most recent reply), I wouldn't post much again in the future...

Edited by dantilley

OK, I get it. You are not aware that Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao are holiday resort islands that are frequented by foreigners. It's an understandable mistake. All those restaurants and bars and resorts along the beaches of Chaweng and Lamai (for example) were built for the enjoyment of Thai holidaymakers. Odd that there seems to be so many non-Thais there, even when the full-moon party is far away. Maybe they are attending a sunscreen convention of some sort. Best wait till they all go home and you'll feel better.

Of course you got a big dose of foreigners at Had Rin because you were just a tad too early; if you had come a few days before, you'd have seen that all the hotels and resorts, all the pubs and all the souvenir shops would be packed with locals and Thai tourists. It would be just like where you stay in Samui, staring at Phangan....

:o:D:D:D:D

[well-deserved flame deleted] My comment was about the LACK of Thais not that there are a lot of foreigners. Maybe these people can help you.

If I was the OP and received the hostile reaction that you guys have all given him (except for JonnyF, the most recent reply), I wouldn't post much again in the future...

I might not have except that I've been coming here daily for more than a year so I know the amount of whining to expect. I can handle them. :o

And thanks for understanding and not getting offended.

If I was the OP and received the hostile reaction that you guys have all given him (except for JonnyF, the most recent reply), I wouldn't post much again in the future...

I might not have except that I've been coming here daily for more than a year so I know the amount of whining to expect. I can handle them. :o

And thanks for understanding and not getting offended.

I liked the post koheesti, there is a lot to be said for first impressions although many here complain you have not given it a chance.

When you do go back, give us a followup post, that would be cool.

Cheers, HB