My First Impression Of Koh Phangan

wow, people have some serious issues with koh phangan. you either like a place or you don't, why all the anger? some things people are saying are just ridiculous, like:

ton nai pan he brought me to first saying it is a really nice beach, it totally sucks!, and the bungalows he reccomended dolphin where a shithole that is undescribable

dolphin gets rave reviews from just about everyone who ever comes here. if you actually took the time to sit there with a cocktail and talk to a few people you probably would have fallen in love with TNP too, like most people. the bungalows are not shitholes at all, but they aren't 5 star either, if that was what you were looking for you could have done your research. you sound like you had a bad attitude to start with.

i wasn't sure i liked KPG the first time i came either... it takes a week or so to "come down" and adjust to the lifestyle here. it is insidious though, it grows on you, there is a lovely community of expats here.

for me, koh phangan has some great beaches and nice people (once you get past all the short term tourists), and a peaceful lifestyle you are not going to get on more populated islands like samui. the food isn't great here, but i think that will change as the island progresses, and the nightlife options are already changing and becoming more diverse. it is a great time to be here!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KP has nothing going for it ... 6 hours is plenty

and samui is not much better

It is all relative. If you live in a warm, developed country, this is perhaps true. For you. However if you live in a county with half a year of frost-rain-snow, both islands are sheer paradise :o

Sure, OK for a one time first time tourist eith no travel experience

If you'er going to travel halfway around the world, may as well pick someplace decent.

Been coming over and over in the last 17 years. Love it. Been to about 50 countries. Still love it.

It's hard to generalise, we are all different. Which is a good thing, I believe.

Girlx comment on my post about my first impression off this island where i, among other things, said:

"ton nai pan he brought me to first saying it is a really nice beach, it totally sucks!, and the bungalows he reccomended dolphin where a shithole that is undescribable"

Sbk say:

"I agree girlx, either you like it or you don't but there really is no need for such aggressive posting."

I say:

??????????? :o

The thread is a guy who told us about his first impressions about Phangnan. As a contribute to this interessting and rare "travelreview" i did the same thing after being there 1 time.

The fact that expats from this island have to come in and say everything we say is wrong make me wonder. And they even feel that our "reports" from these trips are aggression?????!!!!!

Now, get a grip please. Its first impressions, nothing else. Only that. And if say that my impression of dolphin is that it is a shithole and that the beaches sucks, thats nothing anybody can say is wrong. My impression is my impression.

I had a full week experience on Phangan, and came away with exactly the same opinion as our 6-hour's experience Opening Poster. I had a motorbike and explored the island in full, sampling nearly every settlement and business $hithole on the island. I hiked kilometers in the heat to "natural beauty waterfalls" pointed out by the signs only to find half-dried-up 1-meter-high brown-water rivulets.

My take on it: I was treated with the utmost rudeness from songthaew drivers, to motorcycle rental shops, to resort owners. Particularly, the resort owners were a thieving lot. Nothing was safe. :D The feeling I had there was the opposite of ..... :D

The average tourist was the scum of the earth, just there to get laid or stoned. :D

Never, ever will I ever go back there. The happiest day of my vacation was the day I could leave the dump.

Someone should drill a hole in the middle of the island and sink it. :D And then post this :o at the Samui ferry dock.

Edited by toptuan

easer, There are quite a few other posts that have given negative opinions with aggressive language so try not to take sbk's comments so personally as they werten't directed specifically to you but fyi, your last post was agressive & further posts of a similar tone will not be tolerated ok?

I had a full week experience on Phangan, and came away with exactly the same opinion as our 6-hour's experience Opening Poster. I had a motorbike and explored the island in full, sampling nearly every settlement and business $hithole on the island. I hiked kilometers in the heat to "natural beauty waterfalls" pointed out by the signs only to find half-dried-up 1-meter-high brown-water rivulets.

My take on it: I was treated with the utmost rudeness from songthaew drivers, to motorcycle rental shops, to resort owners. Particularly, the resort owners were a thieving lot. Nothing was safe. :D The feeling I had there was the opposite of ..... :D

The average tourist was the scum of the earth, just there to get laid or stoned. :D

Never, ever will I ever go back there. The happiest day of my vacation was the day I could leave the dump.

Someone should drill a hole in the middle of the island and sink it. B) And then post this :o at the Samui ferry dock.

:D:D:D

Just remember folks, even the guide books say, "nothing for the tourists in Udon Thani". :D

2 Toptuan: in you short message, you succeeded to trash pretty much everything I

love about Koh Phangan, even "an average tourist", me that is. In all 17 years I've been coming to Phangan (not to get laid & stoned :o ), I've never heard or read such a negative review of the island. Honestly, toptuan, something negative happened to you during your stay and you blame the island on it? The island has its problems, but they are much smaller than you describe. The sea is clean and warm, the nature's beautiful, the people are friendly, and I never was ripped off. Of course, Koh Phangan is not the centre of the world, but most people who come there look for a quiet place to have rest. Others should spend holidays in London.

easer, There are quite a few other posts that have given negative opinions with aggressive language so try not to take sbk's comments so personally as they werten't directed specifically to you but fyi, your last post was agressive & further posts of a similar tone will not be tolerated ok?

Got you boo. And my sincere apologies to anybody that felt personally attacked or intiminated by my posts. That was not my intention.

I was glad when i first saw this thread, first impression reviews are rare to find and for a short time visit i dont see the point of listening to expats or tourists that been there for 17 years. So then when i went there myself i thought i share my first impression aswell incase there are others that, like me, visit this thread for the "review" the title promise. However, the thread turned into a match between lovers and haters of the place, with agression, and i also dont see the point of this.

Im sure Kohpagnan is a great place for many people. My first impression of the island was not good. Sorry for the strong words in previous posts.

It is all relative. If you live in a warm, developed country, this is perhaps true. For you. However if you live in a county with half a year of frost-rain-snow, both islands are sheer paradise :D

Sure, OK for a one time first time tourist eith no travel experience

If you'er going to travel halfway around the world, may as well pick someplace decent.

...which?

Over here

large.jpg

3rd largest province in Thailand with history, views which are breath-taking if it does no rain. With two rivers and

yes our very own "beach". Sand is from the rivers and not imported from the sea beaches BTW :D

large.jpg

Thai style, but still good, hills and lots to do for a family. Good food (mostly Thai), places to stay and easy to access from Bangers and Mash.

Compared to Koh Samui price wise, Kan is much, much pocket affordable than the Islands. :o Smilies says it all :D

Having said that, folks come to Thailand for whatever reason and the sea. Try a river or two, might change your thinking about holidaying in Thailand.

Yours truly,

Kan Win

P.S. and yes, Life Kan be a Beach :D

Someone should drill a hole in the middle of the island and sink it. :D And then post this :o at the Samui ferry dock.

somebody would say : this is a French's community who dribbles on the rubbish :D

Be cool, peace love and ......drink a beer :D

On Koh Phangan we have : big holes on the fuc_king roads; the Full Moon Party; a lot of drunk's people; the coruption; sometimes no water, no electricity and no phone; the fuc_king dogs who want to bite you at night; a lot of fuc_king parties; the Thai's guy who make you crazy when you would like to take their taxi after 5 o'clock pm; the snakes inside your rooms at the rainy season; the Songserm compagny who change often their schedules; the ladies bar; Robert with his band of crazy musicians who makes you totally addicted; :o Etc.....

You know what ! If all were perfect, i will not be there and all people who lives here since longer than me, wouldn't be staying there too. :D

You don't like KPN, does it matter, KPN doesn't need you. :D

On Koh Phangan we have : big holes on the fuc_king roads; the Full Moon Party; a lot of drunk's people; the coruption; sometimes no water, no electricity and no phone; the fuc_king dogs who want to bite you at night; a lot of fuc_king parties; the Thai's guy who make you crazy when you would like to take their taxi after 5 o'clock pm; the snakes inside your rooms at the rainy season; the Songserm compagny who change often their schedules; the ladies bar; Robert with his band of crazy musicians who makes you totally addicted; :o Etc.....

You know what ! If all were perfect, i will not be there and all people who lives here since longer than me, wouldn't be staying there too. :D

You don't like KPN, does it matter, KPN doesn't need you. :D

BEST comment yet. And who asked these people to come and expect it was Malorca? :thumbsup:A topic I read as from (mostly) spoilt brats!

Edited by SamuiJens

• 3 weeks later...

I spent 2 nights in samui and live in KPN where I run my bungalows. :D

Tastes are different but I think the point with the critics is that you cannot going to a place and write a review if you don't get a clue on that place before. I mean that if you titled your review: "First impressions on Haad rin" was different. I live in the north west of the island and I never go to had rin or ban tai where they hold these crazy techno trance parties. :D

Anyway KPN is a good place for relaxed people, who don't care to go shopping for girls, who don't play golf, who can enjoy a vacation abroad without mcdonalds or pizza everyday, who enjoy a wild place, and who enjoy an amazing coral reef (samui and tao don't have any coral reef) or jungle trekking (here the jungle is still pristine) :D

Obviously if you want a fake place (i.e. cancun, bahamas, maldives, ...) where your money can make you feel like home, phangan is not your place. Here you have frequent power cuts, no high standard restaurants, no marina, no golf and tennis, no traffic lights, no big supermarkets (but the first tesco is being built) and the thay people still own a lot of businesses. :D:o

To end up with I just think the 2 islands are still too different and who like one surely is not going to like the other one. :D

All the best to everybody :D

I spent 2 nights in samui and live in KPN where I run my bungalows. :D

Tastes are different but I think the point with the critics is that you cannot going to a place and write a review if you don't get a clue on that place before. I mean that if you titled your review: "First impressions on Haad rin" was different. I live in the north west of the island and I never go to had rin or ban tai where they hold these crazy techno trance parties. :D

Anyway KPN is a good place for relaxed people, who don't care to go shopping for girls, who don't play golf, who can enjoy a vacation abroad without mcdonalds or pizza everyday, who enjoy a wild place, and who enjoy an amazing coral reef (samui and tao don't have any coral reef) or jungle trekking (here the jungle is still pristine) :D

Obviously if you want a fake place (i.e. cancun, bahamas, maldives, ...) where your money can make you feel like home, phangan is not your place. Here you have frequent power cuts, no high standard restaurants, no marina, no golf and tennis, no traffic lights, no big supermarkets (but the first tesco is being built) and the thay people still own a lot of businesses. :D:o

To end up with I just think the 2 islands are still too different and who like one surely is not going to like the other one. :D

All the best to everybody :D

I agree with Lucpez. I don't understand why so many people hate KPG so much. May be because there are'nt so many hookers like in Samui? No real estate developments? No big traffic? No airport?

Personally I like Samui too. It allows me to make good shopping, find some real good restaurant, go government offices.

I've been on Samui 7 months and look out towards Koh Phangan almost everyday. But I had never been until yesterday.

This was just a day trip - took 11:00 ferry there and 17:30 ferry back. Arrived in Haad Rin - ate and drank at a few places. Hung out on the beach. Then went to Thongsala for an hour and returned to Haad Rin for some more drinking before hopping on the ferry back.

First impressions: This is Thailand? Where are all the Thais? 95% just white 20-somethings. Looked more like MTV's Spring Break in Florida than Thailand. The Full Moon Party is a week away. I'd hate to be there then. There were no Thais on Haad Rin Beach. On Chaweng Beach, you see a lot of vendors selling footballs, corn, souvenirs, etc in addition to other Thais. Nothing but young farang as far as the eye could see. We stopped off at one place to use the toilet and even ordered a drink first. My friend went in the wrong door and the woman there started screaming for him to get out of the bar and refused to serve us. I've been drunk in a lot of bars on Samui and I've never seen rudeness like this. I would guess it's just like Spring Break destinations in Florida where the business owners see so many drunks destroying things that they hate them even while taking their money. Songthaew prices were even higher than Samui. From Haad Rin to Thongsala was 100 baht per person firm. On a Sunday afternoon? Should be half that at most.

Certainly not long enough of a trip to form a complete picture of KP but this is only my first impression. I'll go back again - but stay away from the southeast part of the island.

Been there only one time also and i was not too impressed with the place either. I didn´t hate it in any way, and living in Samui its still an ok 2-3 day holiday destination. Might go back for that again. Still i have to say i wouldn´t recommend any tourist that have , lets say, a month in Thaiand, too waste any time at all on koh pagnan. There is (to my surprice) nothing there that you cant find better and cheaper in samui, hua hin, and pattaya. And by that i mean beaches, food, accomondation and so on. Not that everything sucks, it just did not live up to my expactations. And for the short-time tourist its just not worth the hasse and time-waste of even getting there since there is no airport.

Btw, nice thread. :o

Been there only one time also and i was not too impressed with the place either. I didn´t hate it in any way, and living in Samui its still an ok 2-3 day holiday destination. Might go back for that again. Still i have to say i wouldn´t recommend any tourist that have , lets say, a month in Thaiand, too waste any time at all on koh pagnan. There is (to my surprice) nothing there that you cant find better and cheaper in samui, hua hin, and pattaya. And by that i mean beaches, food, accomondation and so on. Not that everything sucks, it just did not live up to my expactations. And for the short-time tourist its just not worth the hasse and time-waste of even getting there since there is no airport.

Btw, nice thread. :D

That's so correct! That's why we love this place! that's why it is so amazing beautiful :o and stay there where you get the vibes. :D

I don't understand why so many people hate KPG so much. May be because there are'nt so many hookers like in Samui? No real estate developments? No big traffic? No airport?

I've heard there are too many police checkpoints over there searching for drugs and such. So many in fact that it's considered a common occurence by the local expats and not worth even bringing up. Of course the person I heard that from could be just another hater and FOS.

To make a long storry short.... Haad Rin....6 hours.... is not Koh Phangan!!!! I've been here 20 years ago and in Samui. Now I'm in KP for 10 years and it's more laid back than Samui. :D

I agree, BUT til when? Develoment like on Samui will soon ruin KP as well since the greed is spreading fast, as you should know! :o

To make a long storry short.... Haad Rin....6 hours.... is not Koh Phangan!!!! I've been here 20 years ago and in Samui. Now I'm in KP for 10 years and it's more laid back than Samui. :D

I agree, BUT til when? Develoment like on Samui will soon ruin KP as well since the greed is spreading fast, as you should know! :o

But not so fast SamuiJens...not so fast.

Most people, coming to Samui (Thailand first of course) traveled a long long way and are tired. They want to get off the plane and go to their accommodation and relax, swim.

For lots of people it's still a hassle to travel further, taxi, ferry/boat, taxi etc. and the further the island the more quiet. KP will never be as busy as Samui.

LaoPo

Most people, coming to Samui (Thailand first of course) traveled a long long way and are tired. They want to get off the plane and go to their accommodation and relax, swim.

For lots of people it's still a hassle to travel further, taxi, ferry/boat, taxi etc. and the further the island the more quiet. KP will never be as busy as Samui.

LaoPo

True, that's why Bang Rak got so big fast. BUT KP can't help but be hit by development, unfortunatly, don't shot the messenger! :D

LaoPo

KP will never have an airport?

LaoPo

Never say never.

But I doubt if there's enough market for an airport AND an operator wanting to exploit the same. I doubt it would be Bangkok Airways as they would kill a lot of their own business on Samui.

A public airport than ? Hmmm..doubt it, but again: never say never but it would be devastating for Koh Phangan.

In my opinion it's absolutely nuts to build another airport at 15-20 kms of each other, even of there's a bit of luke warm water between the islands :D

LaoPo

LaoPo

Never say never.

But I doubt if there's enough market for an airport AND an operator wanting to exploit the same. I doubt it would be Bangkok Airways as they would kill a lot of their own business on Samui.

A public airport than ? Hmmm..doubt it, but again: never say never but it would be devastating for Koh Phangan.

In my opinion it's absolutely nuts to build another airport at 15-20 kms of each other, even of there's a bit of luke warm water between the islands :D

LaoPo

I was thinking more on the lines of a BRIDGE! Maybe/maybe not, but there will be more and more ppl coming to KP in the coming years and that means development, unfortanitly! :D and all those dirty trucks and cars!

Edited by SamuiJens

LaoPo

Never say never.

LaoPo

I was thinking more on the lines of a BRIDGE! Maybe/maybe not, but there will be more and more ppl coming to KP in the coming years and that means development, unfortanitly! :D and all those dirty trucks and cars!

We could opt for a Poll:

1. Bridge

2. Tunnel

or

3. Tunnel/Bridge including railroad... :D

LaoPo

I don't understand why so many people hate KPG so much. May be because there are'nt so many hookers like in Samui? No real estate developments? No big traffic? No airport?

I've heard there are too many police checkpoints over there searching for drugs and such. So many in fact that it's considered a common occurence by the local expats and not worth even bringing up. Of course the person I heard that from could be just another hater and FOS.

Indeed!

:o:D:D:D

When you are a true thaivisa-reader these jokes are coming true and sure are funny! Spot on koohesti!!!

We don't want an airport here, is there not a rule by international airport laws, that around an international airport can not have another airport in a radius of 40 km? Samui to Phangan 40km??? But the bloody development is here already and not making things better. But YES(!!!) TESCO IS COMING! Fantastic!! But for you guys who hates eachothers island, everybody is a free man or woman in a free country!