Configuring Gmail Via Outlook

ashacat

Hi All,

I am trying to configure my GMail account on my Outlook (2007) so that I can receive emails directly without having to log into gmail etc.

However I am having trouble setting it up.

Should I use POP3 or HTTP? If it is POP3 then what setting should I use for the incoming and outgoing servers? Do I need to tick the "SPA" box?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ashacat

best is to go to setting on gmail web page, select the pop option and then use the button that tells you in simple steps how to set up Outlook - it has all the pictures. Note with care the port numbers to use as one of then is unusual.

You should wait until you can log into gmail and use the set up page it has a step by step for most every type mail program and OS.  You'll get a lot of info you need smtp pop ports etc. and maybe some other options you have yet to think about.

Hi All,

I am trying to configure my GMail account on my Outlook (2007) so that I can receive emails directly without having to log into gmail etc.

However I am having trouble setting it up.

Should I use POP3 or HTTP? If it is POP3 then what setting should I use for the incoming and outgoing servers? Do I need to tick the "SPA" box?

Thanks in advance.

I'm using IMAP to synchronize GMail with my Outlook Express. It's easy to implement and works fine.

Actually, I'm using Google Apps. I have enabled this service just a couple of days ago, and still learning all the "tricks".

You must have access to GMail to implement whatever synchronization you want.

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I am unable to view the gmail website due to restrictions in my office. Is there any other way of finding out the correct settings?

It's a long time since I set my Gmail account up to work with Outlook but, if I remember correctly, there is also a setting in Gmail that is essential--something along the lines of 'allow POP3 Forwarding'--go to Gmail website one way or another.

port 995, server is pop.gmail.com, use SSL authentication, username is your full gmail email address. Depending on how your office blocks access to gmail, you if these settings do not work, try server as 64.233.167.109

Edited by OxfordWill

It's a long time since I set my Gmail account up to work with Outlook but, if I remember correctly, there is also a setting in Gmail that is essential--something along the lines of 'allow POP3 Forwarding'--go to Gmail website one way or another.

Just to clarify...

Technically, email forwarding (which means sending mail to another email address) and email synchronizing (between two programs on-and-off line) are not exactly the same thing.

P.S.

If someone has an experience with Google Apps - any comments would be appreciated.

Go to an internet cafe, log into your g mail account, look for instructions on how to set up outlook, download and print. log out making sure you have not ticked the box "remember me" I have Office 2003 and had no problems configuring Outlook as opposed to Outlook Express which would not accept g mail, hotmail or yahoo unless I purchased an add on programme.

Thanks guys, I have done as suggested by Lopburi and Oxford Will, but I am still having problems. When I press Send/Recieve a little box pops up asking for me to put my password in again (it is already in the settings). Even when I enter this it keeps coming up with the same box asking for my password?!

Should both the incoming and outgoing servers be pop.gmail.com?

Edited by ashacat

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=77689

Outlook 2007

To set up your Outlook 2007 client to work with Gmail:

1. Open Outlook.

2. For new setups, select 'Do not upgrade.'

3. Select 'Yes.'

4. Enter display name, email address (including '@gmail.com'), and password.

5. Click 'Manually configure...'

6. Select 'Internet E-mail.'

7. Settings: name, full email address (including '@gmail.com')

* Select IMAP; use given incoming/outgoing servers.

* Username should be full Gmail address, including '@gmail.com.'

* After this screen, clicking 'Next' takes you to the end of the setup.

8. Select Tools > Options > Mail Setup. Under 'Email Accounts,' click 'E-mail Accounts.' Select account, and click 'Change' above the list of accounts. Click 'More Settings,' then the 'Advanced' tab.

* Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL encryption.

* Outgoing server can use 587, TLS encryption.

9. Click 'Outgoing Server.' Make sure that 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' is selected. The radio button 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' should also be selected.

10. Click 'OK' > 'Next' > 'Finish' > 'Close' > 'OK.'

you can send through your ISP smtp servers. did you select SSL auth? (and check your capitalisation of your gmail password). Its likely you wont be able to send through gmail if you cant access gmail.com.

Edited by OxfordWill

Regarding outlook express, I suggest giving the new Windows Live Mail application a try.

To set it up with gmail all I had to do was to enable IMAP and POP in the gmail accounts' settings and type in my username and password.

It worked perfectly, first time with ZERO hassle. I was impressed.

For outgoing mail, be sure to use your ISP's SMTP address.

(Get Windows Live Mail here)

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I am unable to view the gmail website due to restrictions in my office. Is there any other way of finding out the correct settings?

You could have any number of problems then. First of all if you are trying to access Gmail at work using Outlook it may not work if restrictions are in place. You would need to check with your IT manager.

2ndly if you have no restrictions (like on a home ISP) you simply type in your email adress, password and do not select manually configure - Outlook 2007 takes care of all the settings for you which can been seen later by editing them. (Earlier Outlook and Outlook Express versions didn't do this but the Gmail web site offered download programs to do it for you).

Thanks guys, I have done as suggested by Lopburi and Oxford Will, but I am still having problems. When I press Send/Recieve a little box pops up asking for me to put my password in again (it is already in the settings). Even when I enter this it keeps coming up with the same box asking for my password?!

Should both the incoming and outgoing servers be pop.gmail.com?

Outgoing should be "smtp" not "pop".

It should be set to use the same log on information as pop.

As it appears they use various settings/security believe you need to access outside using your browser and see what it says for you to use for settings and then try - but as mentioned the ports you need may be blocked by your company firewall.