Hyundai

Stumbled upon some Hyundai models at the local Carrefour.. A really nice minivan with loads of seats, starting aroun 1million baht, and something that I previously thought was the new Accord but actually was the Hyundai Sonata, also starting around 1 million baht.

I say that's very tempting... LOADS cheaper than comparable Toyota/Honda models. In fact some of the higher end Toyotal Corolla/Altis type models are almost costing that..!

Thoughts?

If your going to keep it for many years than they are a good buy here....

If your going to sell it in 2 years than don't expect any good price, maybe will get if your lucky 50%, as Thais only buy Toyota, Isuzi, Honda. = these have only lost 20%

Just pick up a Thai Motoring Mag and look through..

I don't like Hyundai. Some models look good but when you hear something about his brand it's mostly negative..

My ex gf had a Excel. After the 85.000 km the troubles begun.

No actually the troubles begun when it was still new.. If i had the choice between Toyota or Hyundai.. Toyata for sure!!

Hyundai Sonata doesn't look anything like the new Accord, it's the most boring vehicle imaginable and it's not a lot cheaper than Japanese cars though reportedly it has some good points.

So far it appears they are not ready for the market yet, maybe later this year they'll try to make themselves noticeable. The brand has appaling history here and they need a miracle to overcome the general perception.

Hyundais are good cars for the price. Thais don't buy them, because they dont want accept anything new on the market. It's simular like Chevrolet Colorado and Isuzu D Nax. the same car, exactly, but Chevrolet doen't sell overhere. Hondas and Toyotas are overpriced in compare what you get. In Europe and America, many Hyundays arfe sold, no problem at all. I' my self had a Hyunday S coupe until 150'000 km and i never got any major problems with this car. Technically it's all Mitsubishi, engine and drivetrain, but nobody knows and nobody want's to know. By the way the hyundai S Coupe i had, was fun to drive, and had a lot of power, and all options including cruise control, in compare with a Honda Civic Coupe, wich is very boring to drive. I had also a 02 Hyundai Santa Fee last year with a 3 liter 6 cylinder engine, much better power and torque than a Honda CRV, wich have only 4 cylinder. I would prefer allways a Hyundai than a Honda or Toyota.

Edited by stingray

Hyundais are good cars for the price. Thais don't buy them, because they dont want accept anything new on the market. It's simular like Chevrolet Colorado and Isuzu D Nax. the same car, exactly, but Chevrolet doen't sell overhere. Hondas and Toyotas are overpriced in compare what you get. In Europe and America, many Hyundays arfe sold, no problem at all. I' my self had a Hyunday S coupe until 150'000 km and i never got any major problems with this car. Technically it's all Mitsubishi, engine and drivetrain, but nobody knows and nobody want's to know. By the way the hyundai S Coupe i had, was fun to drive, and had a lot of power, and all options including cruise control, in compare with a Honda Civic Coupe, wich is very boring to drive. I had also a 02 Hyundai Santa Fee last year with a 3 liter 6 cylinder engine, much better power and torque than a Honda CRV, wich have only 4 cylinder. I would prefer allways a Hyundai than a Honda or Toyota.

:o

'Hondas and Toyotas are overpriced in compare what you get. In Europe and America'

Sorry don't follow this statement.. My Honda was over £4,000 cheaper new here than in the UK, even now my Honda is worth over £1,000 more in the UK than a brand new one here, like for like and year for year my Honda here is still £4,000 cheaper here.. Therefore like for like the Hyundai is a lot more expensive here than in the UK.

Hyundai sell well in the UK because they are much cheaper + did have [maybe still do?] have a much better warentee than the main stream cars + a lot more standerd equipment

Technically it's all Mitsubishi, engine and drivetrain, but nobody knows and nobody want's to know.

We don't have a single competitive Mitsu car here and the brand is at the bottom of the car sales chart, so it's good that nobody knows Hyudai is a Mitsu knock off.

Santa Fe cost 2.5 million here and it doesn't come with 3l V6 engine, I think they offer unremarkable 150hp diesel instead.

Chevrolet captured third spot in the market in a just a couple of years after the launch. Hyundai can do the same, if they play it smart. But GM chose not to enter the market under Korean name in the first place and build Chevrolet name recognition on its solid Isuzu derived truck with killer looks before slipping through their rebaded Dawoees.

Hyundai have come a long way in terms of quality. In 2006, they came out in first place in J D Power's new car quality awards for "non premium" cars in the USA, ahead of #2 Toyota.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news46

Here is another survey that puts Hyundai in the lead of a "total quality index"

http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=27

True, you will take a big hit on depreciation if you buy a Hyundai in Thailand and sell it in the first year or two, since the Thai mindset is fixed on Toyota and Honda and deplores anything "new", but if you plan on keeping it for a while, a Hyundai would seem worth a careful look.

Hyundai is not "new" to Thai customers. It's been here for years and probably is the main reason they put so much trust in Japanese over Koreans.

Catch 22 - you won't build an image of reliability until you sell a lot of cars, and you won't sell a lot of cars without the image.

Solution - advertising. Does Hyundai advertise aggressively, like GM did with Chevrolet truck? NO.

What are they waiting for?

Try the new Genesis when it comes to Thailand.

Build with the Lexus and BMW performance as benchmarks, but half the price.

I have the business plan of Hyundai for the coming 5 years and they will follow very much the Toyota and Honda model.

They aim to become the nr.3 selling carmake within 3 years for Asia.

They acknowledged there was/is a perception of poor quality of Hyundai cars in the world.

After my audit about two years ago, they agreed they had to improve many things.

And so they did.

Problem is that when you want to change something it all has to be approved by the labour union.

Labour union is very strong in Korea.

But we/they are getting there, it just takes some time.

So I would say, if you wanna buy a good and reliable car for a nice price, and with good after service, yes Hyundai is a good choice.

Just my two cents

Alex

They aim to become the nr.3 selling carmake within 3 years for Asia.

Problem is - every man and his dog wants to be no 3 after Toyota and Honda but there's only one position. Who will get there? Nissan? GM? Ford? Suzuki? Late surge from Mitsubishi? Tata?

I don't like Hyundai. Some models look good but when you hear something about his brand it's mostly negative..

My ex gf had a Excel. After the 85.000 km the troubles begun.

No actually the troubles begun when it was still new.. If i had the choice between Toyota or Hyundai.. Toyata for sure!!

I used to have the same idea in the 90's. Hyundais with 60 or 70 thousand miles would be in the transmission shop for a new transmission.

But then I started to meet Hyundai owners who said they drove and drove and never had any trouble with them. Then a mechanic told me Hyundai came in with the top rating from JD Powers Customer Satisfaction Survey. He said Hyundai had diligently studied Honda for quality control and that as a result modern Hyundais are as good as Honda and Toyota. So I took a chance on his word and had a 2001 in the US that was great, and now a 1998 here that is great.

John