Shaky Hands

sbk

Ok, I guess its age, tiredness, I don't know what. But I find my pictures coming out blurry on a regular basis. I just cannot seem to hold myself still when pressing the shutter. :o So, what kind of image stabilization would be best for me? I am looking at buying a nicer camera when I go to the US later this year, thinking of getting a mid-priced superzoom. I currently have a very basic cheapy small point and shoot. A guest had the Fujifilm s700 which has dual stabilization. But would optical be better at controlling my shaky hands?

the higher the zoom setting used to take the shot , the more likely that camera shake will blur your shots.

a simple but effective way of keeping the camera still is to press your elbows into your sides when holding the camera up to your eye when pressing the shutter. a feather light soft press on the shutter button is all that is required , a determined quick press will move the camera

going a step further , you could attach the camera to a monopod or tripod , although for point and shoot type shots this might be inconvenient.

if you have some manual control over the camera settings then try a faster shutter speed coupled with a slightly higher iso rating.

OK, I have something called white balance settings (not sure if this will affect the ISO or not) and something called exposure settings no ISO numbers just a plus or minus from zero in increments of .3 .7 1.0 and 1.3

And I do the hands on the chest thing, it still comes out a bit blurry, and yes, it is usually on zoom shots.

white balance wont affect the iso settings , white balance should be adjusted according to the type of light (daylight , cloudy , fluorescent , tungsten etc.) present.

exposure settings , it sounds like exposure compensation , will affect the amount of light hitting the sensor either by adjusting the shutter speed or the lens opening or a combination of both , but unless you adjust the iso rating as well your shots will come out either underexposed (dark) or overexposed (light).

i'm afraid i dont know too much (anything) about the different types of image stabilisation.

White balance is to adjust the color balance - you point at a white or gray card (good A4 like Double AA will work) for the light in the room to make the photo come out with correct colors. Auto will work most of the time but I have a room with warm spiral bulbs that only a manual setting gets it right. Most of the time not used for point and shoot but worthwhile having.

If you consistently over or underexpose shots you can use the exposure setting to compensate. I would try to adjust my use of spot meter unless you know the camera has a problem. But you can also use it for special effects or compensate when you have a bright background and want the local face better exposed and such.

For shake I would highly recommend optical image stabilization. It does work. But with extreme telephoto you really do need solid support rather than trying to hand hold.

Well, looked my camera up and it lacks manual ISO, so its not me being blind as well as shaky! It was very inexpensive and I would like something with a bit more options anyway. Just am not ready for DSLR!

Ok, I guess its age, tiredness, I don't know what. But I find my pictures coming out blurry on a regular basis. I just cannot seem to hold myself still when pressing the shutter. :D So, what kind of image stabilization would be best for me? I am looking at buying a nicer camera when I go to the US later this year, thinking of getting a mid-priced superzoom. I currently have a very basic cheapy small point and shoot. A guest had the Fujifilm s700 which has dual stabilization. But would optical be better at controlling my shaky hands?

Good evening sbk.:o

Any chance of telling us your camera model so that we could possibly help you? :D

But would optical be better at controlling my shaky hands?

If you have shaky hands and as mentioned use the “Sports Mode”, but having said that my wife still has your problem as well in that Mode using me old (Oly 8080) blurry sometimes. :D

Do you use the view finder when taking a photo or the little screen at the back of your camera?

You are asking far too many questions, we do not know what type of photos you are taking, landscape, low light, etc.....or are they all blurry ? :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. I am back after 6,000 km up and down Thailand for the last 2 months hence my absence.

Edited by Kan Win

I find I can no longer take a clear photo with a light camera like a phone, or simple point and shoot.

However with the heavier Canon 10D I had no problem,

or with my replacement 40D which does have an image stabilised lens.

As a general rule you need a shutter speed to match the zoom length in use.

200mm lens 1/200th second at the least.

Arms into the side and a gentle squeeze of the shutter button will help,

otherwise invest in a tripod for the longer shots.

Hi Kan and welcome back :o

its a Nikon Coolpix L10- basic little point and shoot, very light weight and the blurring happens when I try to take closeups of anything! I like to take closeup pics of my flowers (posted one in the Plants and Pets forum tonight) and had to take about 5 shots to get the least blurry one. Back of camera, it doesn't have a viewfinder. Like I said, basic!

I had carpal tunnel syndrome when I was about 20- I don't have pain anymore but have very weak wrists and hands, so that is probably where the shakiness is coming from.

I am more than willing to get a new camera, as this one doesn't really do what I want anymore anyway... so does anyone have the scoop on whats the best image stabilization? Dual, or optical?

(1)What lighting conditions are you shooting in?

Indoors or dusk/dawn shots will be difficult.

(2)Use a shutter speed twice the value of the focal length you are using.

(3)You are going to have depth of field difficulties with close ups.

The focal plane is miniscule on close up photography.

Use this chart to determine how much DOF is possible.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

(4)If you are using the LCD to frame your shots, it's possible you are flinching when hitting the shutter release.

Try using the viewfinder.

Thanks PTG, but its a very simple point and shoot, lighting conditions vary from bright daylight to dusk. And, as stated before, no viewfinder. Its basic!

Interesting article, lop, thanks! I guess its stating that optical image stabilization is the best way to go then, rather than the other kind (which alters the ISO etc)

Looking at the 2 shots you've posted on the "Plants" forum I suspect that the problems you are experiencing lie more with the camera than shaky hands.

The coconut tree in the second shot is (nearly) sharp, whilst the rest of the image is blurry. Assuming it wasn't a windy day this is unnatural.

The first shot is soft all over, ie. nothing is sharp. I suspect here a focusing/sensor problem. (as in shot 2)

Have you dropped this camera? I sense a camera malfunction as opposed to user problems.

The camera you are using is basically fully automatic. i.e. no ISO control or ability to select shutter/aperture priority. As such, and as is evident in both images, it's defaulting to a high ISO and producing soft and grainy images. Hardly the best combination for close-ups of flowers!

You need a camera with a little more user control.

I suggest an entry level DSLR, an "everyday" zoom of (say) 24-70mm and a 100mm macro lens for your close up stuff. AND A TRIPOD. The latter is essential to your close up stuff as you will want to set a small aperture (f16-f22) and a low ISO (say 100 ISO) which will result in shutter speeds too low for hand holding. And don't forget to buy the remote cable for shutter release.

You can also buy these screw on closeup adapters to produce nigh on 1:1 life-size images.

Most manufacturers produce these cameras/lenses but I would advise Canon or Nikon.

Hope this helps

Attached - Canon Eos1 - Velvia - Tamron 90mm Macro - scanned image

Thanks Vulcan. I could have dropped the camera-- can't remember doing it but that doesn't mean it didn't get knocked off the dresser and I didn't get told. If you see what I mean :o

Whew! thats a load off my mind. I couldn't understand why it wasn't so blurry before (I've had the camera a couple of years) and now, in the past few months, it has been quite bad. I thought, "well, there goes the carpal tunnel again, too much time on Thai Visa! "

So, that said, given that I am quite a newbie but would like to learn, what would be a good (not too expensive!) camera for me?

You don't say what your budget is but here goes

1) PhadThaiGuy was offering a nice kit recently - why not PM him as to availability and price

Or;

2) Follow this link - http://www.fotofile.net/product_cate.php?qid=22

I would suggest a used body (say)

Used Canon 400D 16,800

New EF 100/2.8 USM Macro 17,700

New Ef-s18-55 IS 5,900

Tripod and remote release and a bit of discount should see a total of say 40k.

Because of the cropped sensor of the 400D the 100mm will equate to a 160mm which will be a nice size for your intentions.

Maybe in the USA this stuff will be cheaper - but it's a guideline.

Ok, I guess its age, tiredness, I don't know what. But I find my pictures coming out blurry on a regular basis. I just cannot seem to hold myself still when pressing the shutter. :D So, what kind of image stabilization would be best for me? I am looking at buying a nicer camera when I go to the US later this year, thinking of getting a mid-priced superzoom. I currently have a very basic cheapy small point and shoot. A guest had the Fujifilm s700 which has dual stabilization. But would optical be better at controlling my shaky hands?
:o

The Canon 400d is called the Rebel xt in the US. What do you think of this deal?

Canon Rebel XT 8MP 1.8"

3 Frames per Second

EF-S 18-55mm Lens

Bonus ATP 2GB CF Card

Battery & Charger

Compatible with more than

50 EF and EF-S Lenses

$499.99 US

The included lens appears to not have IS and one with IS must be bought seperately. Is it better to buy the body and the lens seperately then? Or do you think I might not need IS after all since an IS lens is another $400 or so!

EF Lens

The Digital Rebel XT is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses and including Canon's new EF-S series Lenses, manufactured specifically for the Digital Rebel series and the EOS 20D. The EF lineup employs advanced optical know-how to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Rebel XT users will find the all-new EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens a perfect match for their new camera. It offers a 35mm equivalent of a 27-136mm zoom range and includes Canon's Image Stabilizer (which adds an equivalent of 3 stops) and a full time manual focus mechanism, all in a compact, robust construction.

At the current rate of exchange that's a snip.

Often a kit promotion will be cheaper than buying individually and a few "freebies" usually get thrown in (2Gb Card). See if they'll include the remote release as well!

IS on such a "short" lens is really a gimmick. Ignore it.

The problem with IS is it will make you lazy - "why bother with the tripod" you'll think, "I've got IS" - Wrong. No IS will match the support and steadiness of a tripod for what you intend.

You still need to source the 100mm macro lens and a tripod for your close up stuff though.

You're in the right direction.

Well, looked my camera up and it lacks manual ISO, so its not me being blind as well as shaky! It was very inexpensive and I would like something with a bit more options anyway. Just am not ready for DSLR!

I would go for the Olympus 8080 WZ. Why,simple, you have seen my photos that I have posted on Thai Visa nothing wrong this camera, feels like an DSLR, it is not, but the photos that it takes just knocks the sock off you. (Well me anyway and a lot of our members as well)!

large.jpg

Tripod and a Remote Control, Kan take shots like this as well:-

original.jpg

Olympus C-8080WZ

1s f/2.4 at 7.4mm iso50

or action shots like this:-

large.jpg

Should be much cheaper than when I got mine 3 years ago and has served me very proud "sbk".

Now I have a "DSLR" Oly E-3 and I still use my trusted friend, 8080 as my back up.

Yours as always :o

Kan Win :D

Often a kit promotion will be cheaper than buying individually and a few "freebies" usually get thrown in (2Gb Card). See if they'll include the remote release as well!

True. I'd just buy it with a kit lens even if I won't likely use it.

Besides, it's probably easier to sell it with the lens when it comes to the time for you to sell the camera.

The problem with IS is it will make you lazy - "why bother with the tripod" you'll think, "I've got IS" - Wrong. No IS will match the support and steadiness of a tripod for what you intend.

Seconded. But I treasure it so much that I'd never leave home without a lens with IS especially when on trips as I simply can't be bothered with a tripod that's heavy enough to support my already decently heavy SLR. And I can freeze the image at shutter speed as slow as 1/2 sec with IS so unless I go for shutter speed slower than that I just can't be bothered with a tripod (I guess that just shows how lazy I became).

You still need to source the 100mm macro lens and a tripod for your close up stuff though.

But probably at the price as much as the camera body if not more? :o

I would go for the Olympus 8080 WZ. Why,simple, you have seen my photos that I have posted on Thai Visa nothing wrong this camera, feels like an DSLR, it is not, but the photos that it takes just knocks the sock off you. (Well me anyway and a lot of our members as well)!

It's been out of production for quite some time Kan. I know you liked that camera (and it was a good camera) but there are hundred other cameras you probably liked if you ever laid your hands on them. And no, it doesn't feel like dSLR.

Edited by Nordlys