Tax ?

Lawnmower

^ Pretty much what he said.

It can vary from school to school though. I've always got money back from them and I've never not worked a full year (if you're married with kids you get better tax breaks etc.).

British Council teachers don't pay tax, but then they don't have WPs either!

They get a special Non-imm F or something like that Visa. Basically 'cos they're like a government special thingy doodah wotsit...if you know what I mean? They're very special! :o Same all over the world I think (Russia was recently having a big moan about the). I've heard they charge up to 3,000 Baht an hour to teach here (nice if you can get it!).

If they don't deduct taxes for you, that's great. But if your taxes don't get paid, you'll have a problem at immigration when go back for a new extension. Tax records for your employer, and you, are among the required documents

British Council is a semi(?)-governmental organization, and a WP isn't required. When I worked for the UN in a refugee camp many years ago, it was the same deal. Though we still got Social Security benefits, like free medical, as would any legal worker in Thailand

I hope every teacher knows that being legit means you also get free health care in Thailand- even a pension! And soon, unemployment insurance!... :o

I have a valid wp and a tax card, and the school certainly does deduct from my wages- and a good thing, too, because I still have to pay a bit sometimes when taxes come due!  On the first year, if you haven't worked a full 12 months, you get a refund, though...

"Steven"

For a teacher with a wife and child, what's a typical withholding percentage for a teacher? (In the states lots of people have 33% withheld, including social security).

If they don't deduct taxes for you, that's great. But if your taxes don't get paid, you'll have a problem at immigration when go back for a new extension. Tax records for your employer, and you, are among the required documents

British Council is a semi(?)-governmental organization, and a WP isn't required. When I worked for the UN in a refugee camp many years ago, it was the same deal. Though we still got Social Security benefits, like free medical, as would any legal worker in Thailand

I hope every teacher knows that being legit means you also get free health care in Thailand- even a pension! And soon, unemployment insurance!... :o

Holy #*?(^ Batman,

Teaching with a WP(even as a non-citizen) gets you all that?

Does the medical include dental and drug coverage?

Is the medical care minimally sufficient, or would one wantto purchase insurance separately that would cover treatment at a private hospital? And are the Thai wife and child included in the free medical?

:D

Yes, every legal worker in Thailand has all the same rights and priviledges, including S.S. . And the Labour Laws are actually quite good for the worker...

It might include oral surgery, but it doesn't cover dental, as far as I know. Outpatient meds are not covered. I don't think it covers anyone outside of the worker...If you want to expand your insurance, I would recommend Blue Cross.

As for taxes for teachers, if I remember correctly, it is 5% after deductions (around 60,000 last I knew) and either 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5% for your SS share. I'm pretty much out of the loop on these now, so maybe someone can offer some numbers that are more current...

Edited by Ajarn

...I don't think it covers anyone outside of the worker...If you want to expand your insurance,  I would recommend Blue Cross....

Blue Cross - are you a yank - and that's a US (non-profit)Company isn't it ? Does it have a subsidiary in Thailand ?

As for taxes for teachers, if I remember correctly, it is 2% after deductions (around 60,000 last I knew) and either 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5% for your SS share. I'm pretty much out of the loop on these now, so maybe someone can offer some numbers that are more current...

Tax withholdings of around 5% - downright cheap compared to the US.

:o

khup khun khup

But Ajarn, is this health scheme you're talking about the notorious "30B scheme," or something else? [i'm covered under private insurance at the moment, so I've never found out about this].

If it IS the 30B scheme, better just to go out and buy a box of bandages! :o

"Steven"

Something else- that's why it has a different name :D

Long before Thaksin, and much more effective :D

Not necessarily, Ajarn. It depends on what your salary is and if your school is very helpful in completing and submitting your tax return for you! You can get a yellow tax receipt saying '0.00 baht' to pay even if no deductions have been made for tax (welfare contributions are deducted though).

Not necessarily, Ajarn. It depends on what your salary is and if your school is very helpful in completing and submitting your tax return for you! You can get a yellow tax receipt saying '0.00 baht' to pay even if no deductions have been made for tax (welfare contributions are deducted though).

My omly point was to make sure the taxes are filed on, by you or your employer....Immigration will ask for a tax receipt before giving you a one-year extension

Thanks, SM. Any details would be appreciated, especially the new rates for employee, employer, and government...

I did some searches, but I couldn't find anything recent about it...I remember there was an argument about the govt. contribution, and they ended up agreeing to the lowest percentage of the options presented...

...If you fax me or scan me in the paperwork I can get our staff here to translate and I'll then type it in?

you're a bud! :o:D

I can't freaking believe they'd give unemployment insurance to farang teachers!

Still let you extend an O or B on unemployment payments? I don't think so.

Hi Ajarn:

I have the regulation - it's a three page document, but in Thai.  If you are who I think you are, that should not prove to be a problem.  Would you like me to email it to you as a .pdf file?

SM  :o

Thanks, SM...Not sure if you know me, but I'm pretty transparent, I feel. My website listed at the bottom really expresses who I am, and what my interests are. I pride myself on being a teacher, and I accept the responsibility quite seriously, hence, the transparency I offer....My reason for being in these forums is to learn, and hopefully support others through my experience in Thailand and life.... Frankly, I'm greatly impressed by the quality of the minds here in this forum, even the evil ones :D

Anyway, appreciate the .pdf But, my reading skills are no match for government-speak...I'll get a friend to help me with it...

My email address is [email protected]

Cheers

Lawrence

And soon, unemployment insurance!... 

Ajarn: FYI this became effective as from 01.01.2004.

I'll wager no falang has succesfully claimed it though.

Re the 'free' health cover that Ajarn refers to. I thought we all make a statutory contribution of 5% of our monthly salaries - up to a maximum of 750 baht. The cover is good, but I'm not sure I would describe it as free!

On the subject of taxes. My university isn't deducting it so I'll have to make a payment myself at the end of the year. I would like to budget for it, but asking the local tax office for some help with the calculation is a waste of time. Didn't there use to be a tax calculation spreasheet linked to TV? If so, could anybody direct me to it?

Sumitr Man - It's good to see you contributing. You used to make some of the most informative and helpful posts on Ajarn. I appreciate you were p*ssed off when your posts were lost, but it would be good to see you over there again.

And soon, unemployment insurance!... 

Ajarn: FYI this became effective as from 01.01.2004.

Re the 'free' health cover that Ajarn refers to. I thought we all make a statutory contribution of 5% of our monthly salaries - up to a maximum of 750 baht. The cover is good, but I'm not sure I would describe it as free!

On the subject of taxes. My university isn't deducting it so I'll have to make a payment myself at the end of the year. I would like to budget for it, but asking the local tax office for some help with the calculation is a waste of time. Didn't there use to be a tax calculation spreasheet linked to TV? If so, could anybody direct me to it?

Sumitr Man - It's good to see you contributing. You used to make some of the most informative and helpful posts on Ajarn. I appreciate you were p*ssed off when your posts were lost, but it would be good to see you over there again.

I'm pretty sure the employee SS contribution is more like 2%, but that was a few years ago, so it may be higher, but not 5 % I'm pretty sure. 5% sounds more like the income tax for teachers, maybe.

And yeah, you're correct. It's not quite free health care...But is quite good, even doing 750,000 baht surgeries that I recently read about in the Post. I had a heart problem from pesticide poisoning some years ago, and everything was covered. Excellent inpatient care, too, then.

I haven't paid university teacher taxes for a few years, but the last time I paid just over 1200 baht for the year @ a standard govt. 'Ajarn Piset' salary of 17,000 + 8,000 housing...Is your salary the same?

Do you teach in a government university? Since the new wage guidelines for one-year stamps has come into play, are farang university ajarns still getting the one-year stamp from immigration?

Hi Jowels:

Let's look at each of your issues in turn:

You're right. From my review of the new regulations, along side those of Thai immigration law/rules, it would appear to be neigh on impossible for a farang to claim unemployment benefit. That said, the regulation also includes certain quirks which would assist those of us who have Thai partners. For example, the last time I looked, I'm fairly certain there is something in there about benefits for wives having children if the husband is a legit tax-payer. There would be no reason why a farang could not benefit from these.

this is not just for healthcare; this is your whole social security benefit contribution month-on-month. IMHO, it's extremely good value for money. For example, although I'm sure it is nothing to write home about, those payments mentioned above are included in this contribution. Also, any state pension you may be entitled to is included in this contribution. There are various rights that go to make up this, beyond free healthcare. And, it is worth remebering that it is not a requirement that you be a tax-payer to benefit from this - so there's a whole additional group who, as tax-payers, we are helping (my M-I-L for one).

But, again, you're right: nothing for nothing these days!

Thailand works on a dual [personal income] tax system - one, which the Brits know as PAYE (Pay As You Earn); the other, a more American-styled tax return at the end of the year. I have to say, most Thais (including Thai companies) operate the PAYE scheme [and, if I was really being horrid, I would say the reason for that was because they submit the payments sometime after they have deducted them from your salary, thereby giving them extra working capital for a few short days each month, or interest on you money: but I'm not horrid :D ]

That said, as far Thai taxation goes, check out www.rd.go.th

:o I'm still there...

SM

^^ You mean to say that you're posting on ajarn.com under a different name, SM? You wicked man :-)

:o:D ...would I do such a thing... :D

actually, I got feed-up with explaining the UN, so just changed it to my name [much simplier that way].

Anyhow, good to see you're still around Paully.