Hotmail Fee

Highwayman

Stupid comment.

I take it you use outlook express?

do you have it set to display in html format?

do you forward those rubbish emails with the heartwarming messages that say forward this to 10 friends?

does it retrieve the 1x1pixel transparent gifs embedded within?

do the internet community a favour and use another email client.

works just like a pop3 server no adds no special requirements... only morons forward chain letters, when I relply to anything I strip all previous addresses if and when I forward somthing. If people used BCC it would be much more difficult for bots to grab addresses. True spammers used zombie networks not hotmail anyways...

hi'

hotmail sucks :D

there are so many free webmail on the web including ThaiVisa :o

the best might be to get yourself a domain name and a web site (1mb or so) that include

a pop server ... :D

this will cost you less and if you setup your own smtp server (assuming you have Xp pro)

you'll be free for around 12$ a year :D

and by the same way, quite no spam ...

just an idea :D

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

I use outlook (not express) for hotmail and have for a while, seems fine (although I sent myself a message from my work address and it got put into the junk mail faolder - not sure about that!).

So now I have two options, I either pay for my hotmail or change servers. Anyone got any good reviews of things like Gmail, or maybe one of those paid mail services like runbox?

True sells Hotmail Plus cards

Microsoft's MSN Thailand Internet portal has signed up True Corp to distribute pre-paid cards for a value-added Hotmail service.

Called Hotmail Plus, the service will provide an extra 2GB of storage space for Hotmail, and up to 20 MB for file attachments with a promise of no advertisements. It will also include anti-virus and anti-spam services.

Blake Irving, vice president for MSN Communication Services, said that Thailand was one of only three countries to get the pre-paid services along with Turkey and Argentina.

The prepaid packages are already available through 7-eleven stores.

There are two prepaid packages. A 175-baht service offers a 90 day trial of the Hotmail Plus offering while a 379-baht package will have an additional 30-days of unlimited Internet access from True.

Full article here

I take it you use outlook express?

do you have it set to display in html format?

do you forward those rubbish emails with the heartwarming messages that say forward this to 10 friends?

does it retrieve the 1x1pixel transparent gifs embedded within?

do the internet community a favour and use another email client.

Hi Stumonster! Of course I use Outlook Express and have done for years (since 1998). I don't seem to have any problems with it. Sure, I get junk mail, but recently Hotmail have managed to divert most of it into my Junk Mail folder, so I rarely see it.

But it's easy to select and delete all junk mail that gets through to my inbox. If I do this before reading them, doesn't this defeat the "1x1 pixel" problem? And then I move everything that's left onto my PC for filing.

I would like to use Outlook, but it can't cope with multiple email addresses. I have many email addresses set up in Outlook Express - one for ThaiVisa (Baht Simpson), one for Sci-Fi forums (James T Kirk), one for Windows/computer forums (Jean Luc Pickard), one for a comedy forum (Harry Enfield), etc, etc. I can pick up all my mail from OE in one click, but Outlook just won't do it - or is Outlook a problem too?

If you - or anyone - can advise me of an equivalent or better client (from a functionality viewpoint), then I will give it a try.

and if I use Gmail can I access this using outlook? Is it still invite only?

Shame to lose my hotmail address but I don't want to pay for a hotmail account - if I pay I want something with a little more style than that!

I believe GMail does not allow access by Outlook or Outlook Express. Have a look at this article about Hotmail and OE:

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020512a.htm

A recently added feature of Outlook Express (it's included in version 6, which comes with Windows XP) is the ability to read your Hotmail messages. This gives you an easier to use and nicer way to compose and read messages, compared to accessing Hotmail through a browser. If you are familiar with the features of Outlook Express for reading regular POP3 email, you will really appreciate having the same format and tools for using Hotmail.

To set up a Hotmail account with Outlook Express.....

OE will not really download your messages - instead it synchronizes them with the Hotmail web server. This can actually be convenient if you switch back and forth between using OE and using Hotmail from a browser. If you receive many messages, or have a really slow network connection, you may want to change your synchronization settings. Right-click the Inbox (or any folder), and hold the mouse cursor over "Synchronization Settings," then click "Headers Only." This means that only the title of the messages will be downloaded into OE, and the message itself won't be downloaded until you open it. This is also handy for SPAM, which you can delete without opening it.

You can now use Outlook Express for Hotmail in all the same ways that you use it for your regular POP3 email, including creating new folders, moving messages to different folders, contacts/address book, receipts, signatures, etc. Once you have OE set up for Hotmail, you can send a blank email message to [email protected], and you will receive an automatic response back from Microsoft with some useful information about using Hotmail with Outlook Express.

Simey, about using Gmail and Outlook. I did a bit of a search recently and could only find Pop Goes the Gmail for Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Outlook? Dunno. :o

Read the Pop user opinions in the link before downloading. You must have Net Framework installed if it's going to work. I don't and if l remember correctly it's about a 15mb download from Microsoft. I played around with the POP and SMTP settings to no avail. Pop Goes The Gmail uses 127.0.0.1btw.

Looking on the Gmail site l could only find how to import/export my address book, nothing about actually getting it to run in Outlook/Outlook Express.

I did find Gmail-notifier which sits quietly in the system tray and lets you know when you have Gmail.

Hmm, it says it can convert to POP3 for outlook express - I'm sure outlook can handle POP3 accounts (in fact I know it can). Still a shame you can't just enter your account details the way you do with hotmail - where I live my internet access is very dodgy and I usually do all my emails offline and then drag my laptop down to Samui IT centre and synchronise for a few minutes.

Maybe I'll have to consider one of the paid-for mail account providers. They claim that they can also read your hotmail folders and synchronise, but I guess that they will be under the same restrictions as a user with outlook - if you don't pay you can't synchronise. Sapmmers fill your inbox with junk and have now managed to mess up my email usage - they deserve everything that's coming to them.