Us Nuvi 200w In Thailand

jmicaelk

Hi, just wanted to ask and see if it was possible to use a Nuvi 200W from US in Thailand. My friend bought one and brought it with her, but now in BKK she only see the US map on it, can't seem to locate Thailand. So my question is, what do you need to do with it, it has Rotweiler maps of greater BKK on SD card loaded in it. Also tried to set it up for Thailand, but you can not chose Thailand as a country.

Please help

Regards Micael

Hi, just wanted to ask and see if it was possible to use a Nuvi 200W from US in Thailand. My friend bought one and brought it with her, but now in BKK she only see the US map on it, can't seem to locate Thailand. So my question is, what do you need to do with it, it has Rotweiler maps of greater BKK on SD card loaded in it. Also tried to set it up for Thailand, but you can not chose Thailand as a country.

Please help

Regards Micael

If your friend bought the maps from Rottweiler I'm sure they will offer support and help.

I bought a similar unit in UK and later added Thai maps by ESRI from Gadgetrend , no problems.

Regards

I presume your friend has taken the unit outside, away from hi-rise buildings & given it sufficient time to acquire satellites. When you move to a new location this can take a while.

That wasn't supposed to sound like a smart*ss comment, but the OP doesn't say whether they get a position fix. No position fix, the unit doesn't know where it is, obviously, so no map shown.

Rotweiler is very responsive to email and helping sort out problems. I know nothing about the Nuvi units other than they work different than eTrex and Street Pilots as far as map installation and map storage. On both of my units, if I use Garmin Map Source to install a new map, it deletes anything that was already on the memory card.

No worries, didn't see it as a smart*ss comment. Well I told my friend to take it out again and give it plenty of time away from buildings. So I hope that will take care of the problem.

Thank you all for your comments and sugestions.

Regards Micael

I presume your friend has taken the unit outside, away from hi-rise buildings & given it sufficient time to acquire satellites. When you move to a new location this can take a while.

That wasn't supposed to sound like a smart*ss comment, but the OP doesn't say whether they get a position fix. No position fix, the unit doesn't know where it is, obviously, so no map shown.

The gps unit has a memory of the satellites orbits around the earth, so it knows where to look for them next time you switch it on. If you move from the US to Thailand, it doesn't know that & is looking in the wrong places. There should be an option to give an approx location such as on a world map to help it. Once it has picked up one satellite it can download all the orbit info for the others.