Shipping - From Uk To Th

davewil

Hi all,

just a quick question:

We are selling up in the UK and moving over to Pattaya permanently. We've had our house on Nern Plub Waan for about 5 years and it's time to cut the ties to the UK and move over permanently.

We obviously have some household items (nothing too large, we're talking a couple of 'Tea-Chests' maximum) and I've been looking for ways to get this shipped over ready for when we arrive. We obviously don't want to have to pay import duty etc. and I am aware that we only get 1 sea + 1 air container excluded from this normally. I've found this website (https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/seafre...seafreight5.asp) which appears to have reasonable prices for what we are looking to ship (around £140.00 per tea chest), does anyone know of a better/cheaper whay of us taking these items with us, or would we be better off selling everything and buying new (supposing that we can replace everything of course).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

PS: the wife & son are both Thai nationals so we can claim the allowance for repatriation etc. for them.

Edited by davewil

Hi all,

just a quick question:

We are selling up in the UK and moving over to Pattaya permanently. We've had our house on Nern Plub Waan for about 5 years and it's time to cut the ties to the UK and move over permanently.

We obviously have some household items (nothing too large, we're talking a couple of 'Tea-Chests' maximum) and I've been looking for ways to get this shipped over ready for when we arrive. We obviously don't want to have to pay import duty etc. and I am aware that we only get 1 sea + 1 air container excluded from this normally. I've found this website (https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/seafre...seafreight5.asp) which appears to have reasonable prices for what we are looking to ship (around £140.00 per tea chest), does anyone know of a better/cheaper whay of us taking these items with us, or would we be better off selling everything and buying new (supposing that we can replace everything of course).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

PS: the wife & son are both Thai nationals so we can claim the allowance for repatriation etc. for them.

My advice is unless it is personal stuff you cant replace - dont bother

Edited by misterman21

Hi all,

just a quick question:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

My advice is unless it is personal stuff you cant replace - dont bother

Thanks MisterMan, thats just what I was thinking.

Dave

you can import duty free only as a returning citizen (i.e. Thai national that has been living abroad for a while) or as a holder of a Work Permit not older than 6 months. In any other case, you pay duties.

for more info feel free to send me a PM, I am in the freight business.

/edit: just saw that your wife is a Thai national. If you are legally married, her household goods will be considered yours. Catch 22.

Edited by raro

When we shipped some tea chests we used a company in the UK called Excess Baggage. Excellent door to port service. Deliver the boxes you pack or they pack up to you. They state the boxes should be no heavier than 35 kgs for a 1 man lift. Heavier will cost you more...2 man lift!

I'm sure their web is www.excessbaggage.com

We moved 10 boxes different sizes all in all including tea money at Bangkok around 1,000 pounds.

Best of luck

begs

Interested to know when you shipped those tea chests. I was quoted 630 pounds sterling on October 07 for a one cubic metre box of household items, Glasgow to Bangkok as a returning Thai National

PS

That was the cheapest quote.

you can import duty free only as a returning citizen (i.e. Thai national that has been living abroad for a while) or as a holder of a Work Permit not older than 6 months. In any other case, you pay duties.

for more info feel free to send me a PM, I am in the freight business.

/edit: just saw that your wife is a Thai national. If you are legally married, her household goods will be considered yours. Catch 22.

HER goods will NOT BE CONSIDERED yours, JEEZ.

Hi all,

just a quick question:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

My wife an I shipped our goods from the Uk 12 months ago using half of a 40 foot container. we used a company called 'Coles Removals' ( London) and the agent at Bangkok was 'Asian Tigers' . Total cost £1300. We paid NO import duty - AT handled this for us and both my wife and I are English, but held 'Retirement Visa's' at the time.

Hi all,

just a quick question:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

My wife an I shipped our goods from the Uk 12 months ago using half of a 40 foot container. we used a company called 'Coles Removals' ( London) and the agent at Bangkok was 'Asian Tigers' . Total cost £1300. We paid NO import duty - AT handled this for us and both my wife and I are English, but held 'Retirement Visa's' at the time.

Your Correct. Holding a non O visa with a retirement extension allows you to ship household goods duty free, although their is some Tea money involved on certain ocasions.

Barry

Hi all,

just a quick question:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Try looking at http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ .A friend has just shipped three tea chest sized boxes to Thailand with them, door to door, for about £120 for all three (I think any extra boxes would have been £35 per box). They delivered the empty boxes to his house in the UK, collected them when packed and delivered them direct to his house in Chonburi,and there was no import duties to pay either and it took about 6-8 weeks in all.

Whatever you do use a company that 'delivers door to door' and not one that just delivers 'door to port' like I did. The UK company I used arranged for an agent to organise things and contact me this end when my goods arrived at the Bangkok port. He did, then demanded 11000 baht 'tea money' before he would get my goods through customs.

Hi all,

just a quick question:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Try looking at http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ .A friend has just shipped three tea chest sized boxes to Thailand with them, door to door, for about £120 for all three (I think any extra boxes would have been £35 per box). They delivered the empty boxes to his house in the UK, collected them when packed and delivered them direct to his house in Chonburi,and there was no import duties to pay either and it took about 6-8 weeks in all.

Whatever you do use a company that 'delivers door to door' and not one that just delivers 'door to port' like I did. The UK company I used arranged for an agent to organise things and contact me this end when my goods arrived at the Bangkok port. He did, then demanded 11000 baht 'tea money' before he would get my goods through customs.

Just checked on their web site and they're now quoting £205 for three boxes door to door. Still seems competitive though. :o

I think a lot of us that shipped boxes, now wish we had added another box or 3

Silly things that we gave away/ put out for the rubbish in the Uk, but now find it is impossible to buy here..

maybe a list should be started of what we wish we had packed, so other just moving out can not make the same mistakes.??

I have seen a Land Rover Freelander for sale "S" reg priced at £1995 which I thought would look nice parked outside my house in Ban Sarey. Any info on the price of shipping it to Thailand and import duty ?

if its a petrol model,dont even think about it,they are a disaster and if it is a diesel it will come out way overpriced

I have seen a Land Rover Freelander for sale "S" reg priced at £1995 which I thought would look nice parked outside my house in Ban Sarey. Any info on the price of shipping it to Thailand and import duty ?

if its a petrol model,dont even think about it,they are a disaster and if it is a diesel it will come out way overpriced

theres a shipping import/export office in lk metro just off soi bukaoi suggest you go there for the correct info

• 3 weeks later...

I used a company called seven seas in the UK (see sumrits earlier post)

They dropped the boxes off at my house flat packed and collected them again when I was ready, the total price for four boxes was £170. The drop off and collection was an extra £45 and I also paid another £45 for insurance.

The boxes left the UK on 14th Jan and when they arrived at the port in Bangkok on 23rd March the agent contacted me and said he needed my passport in order to clear them through customs. I wasn't prepared to send it to him so I took it there myself and waited while he went to the port it took about 3 hours in total.

I had a multi entry non o visa in my passport and there were no import duties or tea money to pay.

The agent then told me that the boxes would be delivered to my home within ten working days. After ten working days they had not arrived so I called the agent who told me they would be delivered in about another four days I told him I wasn't happy with this and I had already waited long enough and they were delivered at 5pm that afternoon - nothing was damaged, everything was exactly as I packed it - it didn't even look as though the boxes had been opened.

I've had clothes sent over before the person sending them has to fill in a form saying what is in the package (etc) but doesn't seem to be a problem if they tick on the form that it is a gift. They also have to sign to say there is nothing dangerous or prohibited in the package. Cost about £9 for parcel weighing 1 kilo from UK.