Shipping And Duty For Used Pcs To Usa?

autonomous_unit

Here in Thailand, I have a PC and a laptop which were purchased for me to use when working on a project for a US-based client. We are approaching the end of the contract, and now they're wondering whether it is cost effective for them to have these computers of theirs shipped back to them or not.

We're talking about a very old IBM laptop that probably has a $250 used value on the market in the US, and a newer desktop PC and LCD that probably has a value closer to $750-1000. There is also an old VOIP phone which I do not know the value on. Does anyone know how duties are determined on these sorts of small, one-off shipments?

Guest Reimar

I don't know the US market but I don't think it's worth to send to the US. May if the HDD's have a lot data, I would just take the HDD's with me but not more.

The cost for shipping and handling will exceed the value of that products so it would be better to buy new systems in the US.

Cheers.

Unless you can prove that its personnal stuff and you had it more then 180 days then its going to be 25% of estimate market value.  Shipping by the slow boat is really not bad cost wise, but I think the used PC market in the US won't support this as many are being shipped to markets like PI and South America.not the other way..

Wow, 25%? Yes, the problem is that I'd be shipping it back to a company, while I remain an expat in Thailand... (not a personal item for a returning citizen, and not part of a larger shipment).

Are "slow boats" a cheap option for just a few small boxes? I got estimates of around $400-500 USD from FedEx and UPS websites just for the two boxes associated with the desktop PC and monitor. Add a 25% duty and it would really cost the same as a new or slightly used machine with similar specs in the US!

Wow, 25%? Yes, the problem is that I'd be shipping it back to a company, while I remain an expat in Thailand... (not a personal item for a returning citizen, and not part of a larger shipment).

Are "slow boats" a cheap option for just a few small boxes? I got estimates of around $400-500 USD from FedEx and UPS websites just for the two boxes associated with the desktop PC and monitor. Add a 25% duty and it would really cost the same as a new or slightly used machine with similar specs in the US!

If they can swing it, they would probably be better off donating it to a recognizable charity and taking a tax write-off.

Wow, most everything they try to hit 25%.  Its been a while but last time I shipped slow boat it was $1.50 per sq.ft. flat rate.  Rama I think was the name going into oakland, Calif.  If it n

eeds to go beyond that it would 

have other cost and I am sure the rate has gone up but would be cheaper then air

About 4 to 6 weeks trip, not bad really.