Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

Try and get as many Freebies as possible. I think that a bike with a round headlight, conventional forks, radial tyres and of course a different seat with a lower price tag say 55,000. then they and you would have a winner. PS the engine is superior to the Cbr150 in midrange and roll on. it has way more midrange as it should have carrying an extra 82cc.

If any body has questions just ask.

WHAT WAS INTERESTING IS THAT NO ONE WANTED TO TEST RIDE IT. even though it was offered a few times. they did sit on it then decide ........no thanks . That seat

THAICBR Says:

WHAT WAS INTERESTING IS THAT NO ONE WANTED TO TEST RIDE IT. even though it was offered a few times. they did sit on it then decide ........no thanks . That seat

Alter replies:

This is a lie.

There have been at least 40 people test-riding the boxer so far.

I might even be mistaken, for the test-riders may have been probably 100 and more.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Ride report.

1st the disclaimers. the bike i used was one of the 1st production models . due to a miscommunication between myself and Pariya (my fault not his).

Any way first the things i really didn't like. the seat is awful my arse was sore after about 100km's......umm.

ok here is what i did then i will talk about the bike....call this background info.

I started my journey about 8.45 Friday morning, cruised out of BKK on highway 9 then up highway 1 onto 2 and all the way into KK. I arrived in KK at the showground about 2.45pm.. not bad i was still feeling fairly fresh (except for my bum). then onto the KK Orchard Hotel (lovely hotel, modern rooms and parking for bikes).Had a few beers to fully relax, met Ray and some other guys an gals. so very chilled out.

Tony finally turns up after seeing every Yamaha shop between BKK and KK. And we finally organised to go out and eat. There were me and Jason (230kg's between us) on the Tiger and the others were on Ducatis and an Er6. it was funny seeing two big Farangs on the little Tiger. but she held up no problem and kept up with the big boys around town. ok so food was eaten and beer was drunk. we headed back to the hotel happy. Saturday we were going on the Charity Fun run. Got out about 9.30am and headed for the show ground. started the run it was about 200km's all told. and the midrange of the Tiger was really shining through. My arse was also.......had to stand up while riding a few times to ease the tension.

Back to the hotel, few beers and shower then off to the main event. other people will have written stuff. So i will just say i thought it was great, well organized etc.....only grumble. shit beer you could only get Chang (Thai wife beater).

Anyway Sunday morning and thinking about the ride home. to be fair i really was not looking forward to it (that <deleted>+king seat). so i got a towel from the hotel, folded it up and tied it to the seat....better but not perfect. i started off at about 9am after getting lost a bit on the way home (i missed the 9 cos i was in so much pain) finally got home about 5.30pm. other than my bum i was still in pretty good condition. 1300km in 3days. not bad.

OK NOW THE BIKE.

The inverted fronk forks are good. as are the rear shock's they did seem to bottom a few times (but not sure if that was my ultra sensitive butt because i only felt it on the way home, and when 2 up). the engine is a 232cc air/oil cooled lump with a 5 speed gearbox. it was capable of keeping up with normal highway traffic easily (100-120) but got very buzzy at higher speeds. looking at the newer models in the factory. they have a different downpipe and clocks. also a more substantial front mudguard holder and exhaust bracket.

the midrange and roll on are where this engine has it. it is a very relaxing bike to cruise around on. if your cruising at say 100kmh in 5th you just roll on the throttle for instant go. ideal for overtaking etc. it aint no speed demon though. the lack of 6th gear stops that.

Fit and finish.

It's good to ok. good in places and ok in others (I am refering to the newer models, not the test bike)

example the rear brake and clutch lever are from the Tiger scooter range and it shows. On the other hand the exhaust is made by Tsugiki and the front forks are a lovely gold pair of inverted forks. wheels are the same as the Cbr150, same sh+t IRC tyres as well. get Radials much better. Paint work is good and the newer stickers seem to stick (unlike the test bike ).

All in all would I buy one...................NO

But that does not mean its a BAD bike its not. i think it's a little expensive for what you get 72,000 should be 62,000. If you want a small, lightweight bike with reasonable looks and a good cruising engine.

Then its ok. if you want boyracer top speed (me) its no good for ya.

Anybody that was in the market. my suggestion is go and look at the factory. every thing is made and assembled here in Thailand including engines ( they aint Chinese built. some parts are sourced from China)

Try and get as many Freebies as possible. I think that a bike with a round headlight, conventional forks, radial tyres and of course a different seat with a lower price tag say 55,000. then they and you would have a winner. PS the engine is superior to the Cbr150 in midrange and roll on. it has way more midrange as it should have carrying an extra 82cc.

WHAT WAS INTERESTING IS THAT NO ONE WANTED TO TEST RIDE IT. even though it was offered a few times. they did sit on it then decide ........no thanks :o . That seat

-------------------------------------------------------------

To Allan...THAICBR?

Anyway,...

Thanks on behalf of the many here on this forum for having posted your ideas on the Boxer based

on your test-ride of last week.

I can take much of what you say but please can you tell me one thing?

72.000,- Baht is what one has got to pay for the Tiger Boxer 250RS, (let us assume, this is the amount that one pays

for the latest model...right?).

Ok, can you please tell me what Ii can buy here in Thailand for that amount?

Please, come forward and inform me gently or roughly as you wish.

;-)

I often walk, literally "walk", down the streets of Bangkok and, so often do I see

these old 400cc/600cc etc... bikes by Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc... being sold for ridiculously high prices, such as

250.000,- B and more.....

Now I wonder, we have a company in TH, (Tiger Motor CO. Ltd),

we have their direct assistance, replacement parts centre, advises, expertises etc...

and we are still complaining about counting down 72.000,- B for a brand new fun bike such as the Boxer 250cc RS?

Honestly, I too believe that perhaps Tiger might seriously consider to

take a colser look at the price of the Boxer and if possible cut it down to say something like:

55.000,- B / 60.000,- B.

But, provided that we managed to get this bike for that price range.....after this is done,

I believe that any complaint about the Boxer that comes up to this forum without a motivated reason or a well supported

explanation, have got to be cleared off from here for ever.

By the way....Thaicbr, if I had 72.000,- Baht and an enormous wish to buy a 250cc bike here in Thailand,

what would you suggest me to buy?

;-)

No cynicism but a simply a real question.

Waiting for your answer...enjoy your days.

Best,

Ok. Ride report.

1st the disclaimers. the bike i used was one of the 1st production models . due to a miscommunication between myself and Pariya (my fault not his).

Any way first the things i really didn't like. the seat is awful my arse was sore after about 100km's......umm.

ok here is what i did then i will talk about the bike....call this background info.

I started my journey about 8.45 Friday morning, cruised out of BKK on highway 9 then up highway 1 onto 2 and all the way into KK. I arrived in KK at the showground about 2.45pm.. not bad i was still feeling fairly fresh (except for my bum). then onto the KK Orchard Hotel (lovely hotel, modern rooms and parking for bikes).Had a few beers to fully relax, met Ray and some other guys an gals. so very chilled out.

Tony finally turns up after seeing every Yamaha shop between BKK and KK. And we finally organised to go out and eat. There were me and Jason (230kg's between us) on the Tiger and the others were on Ducatis and an Er6. it was funny seeing two big Farangs on the little Tiger. but she held up no problem and kept up with the big boys around town. ok so food was eaten and beer was drunk. we headed back to the hotel happy. Saturday we were going on the Charity Fun run. Got out about 9.30am and headed for the show ground. started the run it was about 200km's all told. and the midrange of the Tiger was really shining through. My arse was also.......had to stand up while riding a few times to ease the tension.

Back to the hotel, few beers and shower then off to the main event. other people will have written stuff. So i will just say i thought it was great, well organized etc.....only grumble. shit beer you could only get Chang (Thai wife beater).

Anyway Sunday morning and thinking about the ride home. to be fair i really was not looking forward to it (that <deleted>+king seat). so i got a towel from the hotel, folded it up and tied it to the seat....better but not perfect. i started off at about 9am after getting lost a bit on the way home (i missed the 9 cos i was in so much pain) finally got home about 5.30pm. other than my bum i was still in pretty good condition. 1300km in 3days. not bad.

OK NOW THE BIKE.

The inverted fronk forks are good. as are the rear shock's they did seem to bottom a few times (but not sure if that was my ultra sensitive butt because i only felt it on the way home, and when 2 up). the engine is a 232cc air/oil cooled lump with a 5 speed gearbox. it was capable of keeping up with normal highway traffic easily (100-120) but got very buzzy at higher speeds. looking at the newer models in the factory. they have a different downpipe and clocks. also a more substantial front mudguard holder and exhaust bracket.

the midrange and roll on are where this engine has it. it is a very relaxing bike to cruise around on. if your cruising at say 100kmh in 5th you just roll on the throttle for instant go. ideal for overtaking etc. it aint no speed demon though. the lack of 6th gear stops that.

Fit and finish.

It's good to ok. good in places and ok in others (I am refering to the newer models, not the test bike)

example the rear brake and clutch lever are from the Tiger scooter range and it shows. On the other hand the exhaust is made by Tsugiki and the front forks are a lovely gold pair of inverted forks. wheels are the same as the Cbr150, same sh+t IRC tyres as well. get Radials much better. Paint work is good and the newer stickers seem to stick (unlike the test bike :o ).

All in all would I buy one...................NO

But that does not mean its a BAD bike its not. i think it's a little expensive for what you get 72,000 should be 62,000. If you want a small, lightweight bike with reasonable looks and a good cruising engine.

Then its ok. if you want boyracer top speed (me) its no good for ya.

Anybody that was in the market. my suggestion is go and look at the factory. every thing is made and assembled here in Thailand including engines ( they aint Chinese built. some parts are sourced from China)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Allan .....

one last:

Mind you, I too have critics to the Boxer 250cc by Tiger....but these are constructive rather than destructive ones.

;-)

For instance, I am sure that Tiger could improve the annoying trembling

of the front part and the seat comfort too.

Also....at times while waiting still at the red-light I had problems in finding the 1st gear for starting off.

And often...as the Bangkok traffic is crazy and it demands that you take off as a rocket

when the green light shows up, I experienced this very clumsy situation in which

my bike (being on 2nd gear) would not pick up speed and switched off in the middle of the road.

And stood still there...surronded by the millions smiles of young speedy boys on Yamaha Fino's, Blade's, and the likes

:-)

I am not sure if this depended on my inability to find the 1st gear or if it depended on the

miscoordination between the clatch and the gears.

Fact is that it happened quite a few times....so,I gather that perhaps there must have been something wrong with the bike.

(consider also, that it was a test-ride bike and not a brand new one.....and only god knows who rode it before me....).

;-)

What else?

I would love to see Tiger discussing the possibility to build a bike of their own make

that goes beyond the

mere 250cc.

Only the future will tell and....

only thanks to these postings of ours I believe Tiger will make the present Boxer an ever better

bike to be loved and cherished for.

Best regards,

Alter, I can't say for sure, but I think that Allan may be almost as cheap as I. If you read through the first Ninja 250 thread you'll see I was bitching up a storm that it cost so much more than other bikes. Personally I think that the extra 10k that Tiger is charging is probably in line with the extra bike you get over the CBR, but the factory reusing the same (not that good) tester is quite a cause for concern. Many would comment on Tiger's lack of commitment to excellence upon hearing that. This of course seems to be contrary to what else Tiger is doing, so perhaps it was a freak co-incidence.

And by the way, I hate the saddle on my Ninja also; was thinking about getting a Corbin but for as cheap as Charley got his seat resahped it probably isn't worth it.

Alter. first of all if you read my post again you will see that "WHAT WAS INTERESTING IS THAT NO ONE WANTED TO TEST RIDE IT" meant that no one i spoke to at the KK show was interested in riding the Tiger. SO it's not a lie. you need to read the thread a bit clearer. as for telling you about a good 250, that's up to you to find.

I merely stated my opinions about the Tiger 250. it sounds like the Tiger250 you rode was the same red one i rode. interesting as that only had 168 km on the clock when i got it. i rode over 1300km's on varied roads so if you feel that my feed back isn't detailed enough then feel free to ask some more questions. BUT PLEASE READ THE POST CORRECTLY. as being called a liar does make me a little annoyed.

On your question about the other 400cc and up very expensive bikes. there is a huge difference between 'proper' Big Bikes and the Tiger 250. The Tiger is derived from a 20 year old Cagiva 125 design. That's why it is so small, but well suited to the Asian market. It is a low tech design made in Thailand. So i ask you WHY is it more expensive than a high tech Honda Cbr150....................

'For instance, I am sure that Tiger could improve the annoying trembling

of the front part and the seat comfort too.'

This is from your last post. Tiger have known about all the problems on the demonstrator for a long time but still nothing is done. it is not even the same mechanicals as the bikes that they currently sell( the exhaust and clocks bracket is different to name a few things)

In conclusion i would like to see Tiger prosper. I would like to see new and better bikes become available. but they have a lot of work ahead of them before that happens. As i stated the The Tiger 250 is not a bad bike. but it is let down by some bad detailing and the price is to high, for what you get. which is a reasonable but small, low tech air/oil cooled 232cc motorcycle.

Allan

Thanks to Alan (thaicbr) for an extensive report of a long trial of the old factory's test bike.

Let me defend the list price of 72K. That is a bargain in Thailand for a 232cc bike, new. If you have good reliability and good local dealer support, that is an excellent bargain.

The seat is easily, cheaply changed.

Any demonstrator is better than none at all. Even if there is only one in all of Thailand.

Small correction, the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is 239cc. Also the Tiger Boxer design is not based on a 20-year old 125cc design. Matter of fact most frames and suspensions we see used now-a-day for motorcycles are developed about 15 to 10 years ago.

The Tiger Boxer series is based on the Cagiva F4 150, which is basically a design project of the 80's to beginning of the 90's, on the project, called "po'di moto" worked engineers from Ducati, Cagiva, Harley-Davidson, Husqvarna and MV Augusta. The 150cc po'di moto did never got really going as Cagiva was already leader in the 125cc range (and still is with the worlds fastest and most powerful 2-stroke production motorcycle).

THe Cagiva Raptor and Mito bikes where a overwhelming success, with simple modifications this bikes could produce up to almost 40 horsepower (in the rear wheel). The success of the 125cc 2-stroke motorcycles and the knowledge that the European Union would not ban smaller 2-stroke motorcycles did not work well for the po'di moto. The project moved to the archive, and was resurrected after Malaysian Proton Auto bought MV Augusta, Proton was confident that a small motorcycle would bring lots of cash. For Proton building a domestic factory was to costly, importing motorcycles from Italy to expensive due to import taxes. So Proton looked for Southeast Asian partners, theyfound them in Momos Moto in Malaysia and Tiger Motorcycles in Thailand.

The old po'di moto project was updated and with the help of all old partners it was started as the Boxer. Momos was the first who got a Boxer 200 on the road in Malaysia. They had the biggest experience, they where manufacturing parts for MV Augusta (Cagiva, Husqvarna and MV Augusta) years before they where asked to join the Boxer project.

The project failed, mainly because Proton had underestimated the cost of owning a high profile motorcycle manufacturer. Proton was forced to sell MV August to a Italian investment company, which has relations to the old daughter Ducati and good friends Piaggo, for one Euro.....

The relation between MV Augusta and Tiger Motorcycle is what we call good, even today that MV Augusta is again moved hands, now it is owned by once again a former daughter company Harley-Davidson.

Finally to answer the question "how much was MV Augusta involved in the development of the Tiger Boxer" you just need to look at the two company logo's

post-12170-1235533186_thumb.jpg

post-12170-1235533194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

No Richard it is definitly a 232cc motorcycle. based on the bore and stroke on your website. i do not know who told you 239cc.

Peace. The price is slightly to high, but only for the reasons i have outlined, if Tiger were serious in making this bike a whole of what it should be then indeed it would be worth 72,000. examples are little details like the rear brake pedal is a stamped metal unit and the clutch lever and perch are from Tiger's scooter range. it's really just the detailing that lets it down. I honestly think that it's a decent bike. i think with a bit more work (and they have already made certain changes) it could be a very good bike for those people that like a cruising style of motorcycling but who don't like Chopper style bikes ie Phantom etc. Other than the seat i found it to be a very relaxing bike to ride. I made the ride to Khon Kaen in one go only stopping for fuel/toilet stops and was still fairly refreshed when i got there.

It's not for me as i like to have a bit more power available.

Richard 80's = 20 year old design

150= it was only 150 in Italy because that was the learner limit of the time for Italy and some other countries in Europe in other markets notably the Uk it would have been 125.

As for the design motif wholesale robbery of the MV logo's basic format.

I do find it hard to believe that the current Tiger engine owes to much to the great Italian designers. but ok i will take your word for it.

Edited by thaicbr

The Cagiva F4 150 was never sold in Italy, matter of fact the amounts produced Cagiva will, I belief, not even fill up a truck load. Learner motorcycles in Italy? You need to be older then 18 to ride anything bigger then 125cc, maximum speed 130km/h or if it rains or the road is wet it is 110km/h....

It is possible that they have introduced some learner rules in Italy the last few years, but surely 15 years ago there was nothing like that.

'You need to be older then 18 to ride anything bigger then 125cc,'

Ummmmmmmmm learner bikes are exactly what you just described. 125cc = learner

ALSO Dave boo was right i am a cheap charlie :o:D

Edited by thaicbr

Hi :o

If two companies work closely together in developing/marketing a product it is not unusual for their logos to be rather similar.

I believe Italy has a "learner" system as to my knowledge it is mandatory within the E.U. countries? Germany, as always, is most restrictive....

15 years old: max. 50cc, 25 km/h, theoretical test only

16 years old: max. 125cc, max. 80 km/h (!!), max 15 hp, full license (theoretical/practical tests)

18 years old: unlimited cc, max. 34 hp, full license (theoretical/practical tests)

20 years old: unlimited

Oh, of course each "step" requires it's own dedicated license and attached costs, except for the one at 18 years old, it becomes "unlimited" automatically after two years.

Best regards.....

Thanh

hi alter, I'm a bit surprised to read

(being on 2nd gear) would not pick up speed and switched off in the middle of the road. . I should rather say that the boxer is very torquey.

I never experienced these problems.In the contrary many thai boys try to take me on with their modified sonics etc. to no avail I all let them easily behind me braking off .On my way to um Phang many tried to follow me reckon me 80 kg GF 50 kg and 20 kg topcase my BOXER was the victor off the day only one bike past me (A ducati 600 cc not sure) not a shame he . I'm not a speed demon but I have a sporty riding style

Many of you are saying old TECHNOLOGY ... WHY....?

How many bikes are still produced ( Suzuki , Yamaha , Honda etc ) in the 250 cc range with carbu ......

Alter what fuel were you using ? E20? Gasohol 91 ? Tiger told me E20 is not that good for the engines power ....

MODIFICATIONS.

Tiger already redesigned the brackets and rubbers on the fairing and the cockpit.The vibrations is taken away there already .Let the engine thumping i like it.

The topcase holder is redesigned now the prototype is on my bike and holds a 20 kg topcase easily.

A larger windscreen for expats is available now .Again prototype is on my bike . is ready for production now.

TIGER is really listening to me , but i would like some of you to help me with that. Allan do me a favor send your report to PARIYA.

And others who had already a test ride make a constructive report and mail it to PARIYA. he is a nice guy to work with

Charlie

If two companies work closely together in developing/marketing a product it is not unusual for their logos to be rather similar.

I believe Italy has a "learner" system as to my knowledge it is mandatory within the E.U. countries? Germany, as always, is most restrictive....

16 years old: max. 125cc, max. 80 km/h (!!), max 15 hp, full license (theoretical/practical tests)

18 years old: unlimited cc, max. 34 hp, full license (theoretical/practical tests)

Oh, of course each "step" requires it's own dedicated license and attached costs, except for the one at 18 years old, it becomes "unlimited" automatically after two years.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Ok Here is another European Nation

16 years old: max 50cc with limit 2.5 hp and max speed 50 km/h (moped, just a theory in normal school)

16 years old: max 125cc with limit 15 hp, no speed restriction (light motorcycle license)

18 years old / or first 2 years of license: max 34 hp unlimited everything else

20 or 2 years of hp restriction: Whatever you want to ride mate

Also note that 2 strokes are still legal and sold in Europe.

When it comes to the Tiger Boxer IF it's really based on a Cagiva design from the 80's it almost 30 year old design. I remember Cagiva came with a 4 stroke bike in the 80's which was similar and had a 125cc engine, so it could be "based" or copied from that design as I never seen 150cc sold in Europe ever.

In the 80's here was the rules where I lived;

16 - 50cc moped with top speed 50 km/h and 2.5 hp (no license)

16 - Light motorbike (license) 100 cc and 7 hp no speed limit

18 - (license) Any bike you wanted

Other European contries had this concept

16- 50cc moped max 30 km/h no license

16 - Light motorbike (license) 125cc with either no hp restrictions or 12,5 hp or 15 hp depending on country

18 - Big Bike (license) whatever you wanted

So popular bikes was 50cc mopeds, 125cc or restricted to 100cc bikes, then 2 stroke 250's (NSR 250 RR) 350's (RD 350) for people on tight budget, some few 500cc 2 strokes as well. Then we had 750's very popular and 1100's popular plus the cruisers were available as usual in different cc. Did I ever see a 150 for sale in Europe? Never ever, and due to the regulations I fail to see anyone launching one. 600's came along at that time but was not popular at all, now it's changed to 50cc, 125cc, then 600's and literbikes some 250's are sold but not many. Still can buy Aprilia 2 stroke 125cc restricted to 15 hp or the unrestricted race version.

The CBR 125 or as sold in Thailand CBR 150 is not sold as 150 but 125 as who would want it? It does not fit the regulations at all and never have done.

It is possible the boxer is a 125cc with big bore to 232cc

Personnaly I think it is a cheap bike and must fit the purpose for the ones who buy it, would not call it an enthusiastic bikers bike but a bike for people who need transportation and either do not want to be stuck in traffic or see a car as to much money out. There is nothing wrong with that...

Alternatively you have the Honda Phantom which is comfertable to sit on for around 80k.

Cheers Bard

If they can afford to sell the tiger boxer 250 at big dicount to the police, then they can afford to drop the price on the open market. A local policeman tells me a few days ago he paid 44,000b for the 200. also says its poor for service, not comfortable. had starting problems,. Tells me, if i can afford 72,000b then better spend a bit more and buy honda phantom, which is what he thinks better for police bike.

Problem is that for 72,000 there isnt anything else as general purpose bike, nor apart from the ninja are there any other 250's at any price, and who wants an old steed or whatever for silly money.

Maybe honda will bring out a 250 all rounder, but then they dont sell that many phantoms or cbr150's so not worth it for them to do so

I think the starting problems that the police man had are probably due to Gasohol rather than the bike. it certainly is uncomfortable, which is an easy fix granted but you should not have to do it on a brand new bike. i really think that's one of the reasons the BIB are so grumpy. sore <deleted>..... :D .... I'm not sure about the Phantom. and as i have said before with a little more work this would be a good bike for a certain target market.

Allan

PS One thought i have had is maybe an sr or srx 400 engine in the Tiger. mmmmmm doable... :o:D

Edited by thaicbr

If they can afford to sell the tiger boxer 250 at big dicount to the police, then they can afford to drop the price on the open market. A local policeman tells me a few days ago he paid 44,000b for the 200. also says its poor for service, not comfortable. had starting problems,. Tells me, if i can afford 72,000b then better spend a bit more and buy honda phantom, which is what he thinks better for police bike.

Problem is that for 72,000 there isnt anything else as general purpose bike, nor apart from the ninja are there any other 250's at any price, and who wants an old steed or whatever for silly money.

Maybe honda will bring out a 250 all rounder, but then they dont sell that many phantoms or cbr150's so not worth it for them to do so

I am sure if you can get as many people to buy the bike as the BMA police that you will be able to get that kind of discount as well.

But I think you may need to find out what else is involved in that contract :o

I am sure if you can get as many people to buy the bike as the BMA police that you will be able to get that kind of discount as well.

But I think you may need to find out what else is involved in that contract :o

Certainly there are a lot of people, whose have the qualification for that.

Beeing totally corrupt, drinks like hel_l, likes to killing people.

Hi Alan (thaicbr), I also suffer if the seat isn't in sympathy with my rear end. I've had some success with lambs wool seat covers but there are a lot of people turning to gel inserts now. Maybe if your regular ride is uncomfortable a gel insert could be the answer.

HI tomartoh

Is the policeman telling you the truth I really doubt about it. 44000 baht for a new bike seems to be good to be true. but ok.

I had a Belgian friend he owns a boxer 200 and he never had any problems like the policeman had . That was the reason i became interested in the TIGER coz it was reliable and a good rd bike. Some policeman in BKK told me that the boxer 200 - 250 are lazy and slow its just opposite . I learned one thing from Thai men , They aren't bikers at all.

I think same as ALLAN the problems are more likely caused by the fuel. I added while i was in Chiang Mai around new year gasohol 91 , 95 was empty in several pump stations. The morning after i nearly couldn't start my tiger . I forgot it was cold season in CM stupid me .....

I'm not sure if tiger is really interested to reduce their prices , Because currently they are producing at nearly maximum capacity . Pariya Told me they can produce 24000 units yearly now they are producing 21000 units per year and its steadily increasing . They receive more and more orders from the Philippines . They won some bike races there and the brand gained popularity.

I'm sure if TIGER should do the same in Thailand Thai people gonna start buying BOXER because Thai people believe in publicity .

Let's see what will happen in the future

Charlie

Best regards.....

Thanh

Ok Here is another European Nation

16 years old: max 50cc with limit 2.5 hp and max speed 50 km/h (moped, just a theory in normal school)

16 years old: max 125cc with limit 15 hp, no speed restriction (light motorcycle license)

18 years old / or first 2 years of license: max 34 hp unlimited everything else

20 or 2 years of hp restriction: Whatever you want to ride mate

Also note that 2 strokes are still legal and sold in Europe.

When it comes to the Tiger Boxer IF it's really based on a Cagiva design from the 80's it almost 30 year old design. I remember Cagiva came with a 4 stroke bike in the 80's which was similar and had a 125cc engine, so it could be "based" or copied from that design as I never seen 150cc sold in Europe ever.

In the 80's here was the rules where I lived;

16 - 50cc moped with top speed 50 km/h and 2.5 hp (no license)

16 - Light motorbike (license) 100 cc and 7 hp no speed limit

18 - (license) Any bike you wanted

Other European contries had this concept

16- 50cc moped max 30 km/h no license

16 - Light motorbike (license) 125cc with either no hp restrictions or 12,5 hp or 15 hp depending on country

18 - Big Bike (license) whatever you wanted

So popular bikes was 50cc mopeds, 125cc or restricted to 100cc bikes, then 2 stroke 250's (NSR 250 RR) 350's (RD 350) for people on tight budget, some few 500cc 2 strokes as well. Then we had 750's very popular and 1100's popular plus the cruisers were available as usual in different cc. Did I ever see a 150 for sale in Europe? Never ever, and due to the regulations I fail to see anyone launching one. 600's came along at that time but was not popular at all, now it's changed to 50cc, 125cc, then 600's and literbikes some 250's are sold but not many. Still can buy Aprilia 2 stroke 125cc restricted to 15 hp or the unrestricted race version.

The CBR 125 or as sold in Thailand CBR 150 is not sold as 150 but 125 as who would want it? It does not fit the regulations at all and never have done.

It is possible the boxer is a 125cc with big bore to 232cc

Personnaly I think it is a cheap bike and must fit the purpose for the ones who buy it, would not call it an enthusiastic bikers bike but a bike for people who need transportation and either do not want to be stuck in traffic or see a car as to much money out. There is nothing wrong with that...

Alternatively you have the Honda Phantom which is comfertable to sit on for around 80k.

Cheers Bard

Can't comment on everything you wrote, but the CBR 150 sold in SE Asia is not exactly the same as the CBR 125 sold in Europe (and Canada also I believe).  The CBR 125 is a proper 125(ish)cc, SOHC and fuel injection.  The CBR 150 is a proper 150(ish)cc, DOHC and carb'd.  My understanding is that they're pretty popular with the group that they're targeted at, but are quickly left behind when the rider gets to have his bigger mo'cyc.

Hi Kano85

The local policeman confirmed what the guy at the tiger shop on panyothin, [next to major cineplex] told my gf about 2 months or so ago, "because for big order big discount to 44,000b"

How else could they get policemen on piss poor salaries to buy the tiger boxer. there not going to pay 72,000 for a bike they dont like. maybe the powers that be didnt take their backhanders and passed them on to the policemen purchasing the bikes

Are they actually racing the boxers in the philipines? if so there should be equipment available for speeding them up. or is it the stepthroughs that they race.

Its hard to know if the Thais will ever want to buy the boxer in any quantity, it doesnt have anything special about it for them, and the young guys who race or want a tricked out bike seem to go for the 125/135 bikes which are a lot cheaper. Perhaps the government order keeps the boxer alive

Living in the North most of the time i am now thinking about the 135autocross, plenty of dirt roads here and family have a few hundred rai in the hills to thrash around

Tomartoh. that 135 autocross is an interesting machine. i had a good look at the one in the showroom. the brakes are the same as the Boxer. and i think for what you want it would be ideal. maybe get 2 sets of wheels. 1set with road tyres for if you go on longer trips by road and the knobby tyres for around the village. 37,500baht if i remember.

Allan

I missing something, did the Thai Royal Police not switched in 2007 from individual purchase to centralized purchase for police motorcycles? And do police stations around the country now not get a yearly budget to keep the motorcycles running?

I was told that the handguns they carry are private property, and some cost easily the same as a new motorcycle...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I learned one thing from Thai men , They aren't bikers at all.

Ahem, Charlie, it seems you are painting our hosts with a pretty broad brush there... There are plenty of REAL Thai bikers. If you don't believe it go spend a day at a race track or check out the Thai stunters that show up at most bike weeks or go on a Yamaha or Kawasaki sponsored ride- some of these Thai guys are amazing bikers!

Hi Big bikk BKK ,

Yeah you are right and i know what you mean i'vwe seen those stunters before. It's not because your a stunter that you know something about bikes.

You are talking about only a few. I've been talking a lot about bikes with thai men. My Thai is good . And sometimes i was thinking well well better talk about girls or football.

Yesterday i had the same experience I gonna save you the story what they know about TIGER and etc..... I had a nice evening with them talking about women

charlie

I learned one thing from Thai men , They aren't bikers at all.

Ahem, Charlie, it seems you are painting our hosts with a pretty broad brush there... There are plenty of REAL Thai bikers. If you don't believe it go spend a day at a race track or check out the Thai stunters that show up at most bike weeks or go on a Yamaha or Kawasaki sponsored ride- some of these Thai guys are amazing bikers!

I'm going to agree with Kano here.  While it's wrong to say there are NO Thai men who actually know about really biking (the prevelance of those gawd awful skinny tyres is proof enough), the minority is simply that, an extreme minority.  Can you fault them for being more interested in bling-bling to get the chicks?  Not if they're under say 25.  However, it seems systematic of the Thai male to continue in this thought process, long after what most cultures would have forced an abandonment of it.

It also depends on how you define a real biker. In logic, this is the "True Scotsman" argument. Was I more of a real biker by not owning a car for 7.5 years in Texas, and usually going about 18,000 miles every year, 12 months/year, on smaller bikes? Yes. Were the Harley dudes who only rode a few weeks of the year? Not really.

But bikes bigger than 125cc were virtually nonexistent in Thailand in 2002, less than one percent. Somchai grew up thinking 125 was a big bike.