Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

I am totally confused about the CB160 / 175.. I mean, late 60's early 70's.. Kinda odd bike to be looking for a classic !!

Now there was some talk about a VTR250 becoming legally imported.. Little mini monster twin thats supposed to handle tight.. every once in a while you see them come up booked and non booked..

Hi LivinLos ( or is that totally confused of Thailand ? ) ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa :o

sorry mate I just couldent resist the sly dig, Im just messing with you, promise.

Late 60s Honda CB whatever, it still means its got to be likley over 40 years old & as I have owned/restored lots of bikes in UK, Douglas dragonflys, Dominator SS, various Bonnies a Goldie, Guzzi le mans ( ugh ) & lastly a Benelli 654 & spent hours getting them right only to generally amuse myself & end up doing money in the long run I figured why not try a Jap, ( bike, not girl ) did that back in 1963.

I figured why not do an early Honda, & as the fabulous 1960 125 twin CB 92 sport doesent appear to have ever arrived in Thailand ( very sad ) the next best thing I thought of is what came after it, hense the Cb or later inclined twin in 125, 160 or 175 form.

As to being confused sport, just dont worry, I know the feeling well I have to talk with the people offering such stuff for sale, & thats a total world of pain & utter confusion. ( generally the phrase endemic cheats & liars comes strongly to mind along with strong whiffs of B S )

Still lookin but I will admit Im getting fed up with it !

Bros

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys. The following is an E-mail i received from Pariya at Tiger.

Dear Allan

Thanks again for the comments. I informed my boss about your report, and he want me to ask you to advise us how to improve the seat. Or if you have any suggestion, we are very welcomed. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Pariya

So any one who has ridden the bike, give me your ideas about how to improve the seat. I have a few ideas but would like your feedback before i post my ideas.

Thanks Allan

Eat reduced ammounts off a smaller plate Allan,

then in a month or two your Butt-ox ( thats Forest Gumps spelling ) will fit the seat better. Tee Hee hee ( how do I know ? I experienced the same problem )

Bros

TIGER BOXER 125 Rs READY FOR SHIPMENT TO JAPAN

First

Yesterday I was at the factory and i was surprised again. Tiger was preparing their first shipment to JAPAN.

Tiger checked everything on my bike with 10000 trouble fee km on the clock. I have to be back on the 16 th March. The third generation fairing and cockpit brackets will be ready.

I was surprised to see the TIGER boxer 125 cc same bike as mine but only 125 cc i had a test ride on it and it was ok. A little less torque but still impressive for a 125 cc . WELL DONE TIGER

TIGER is taking part on a JAPANESE MOTORSHOW probably together with their sole agent.I'm sure more orders will follow. Too conclude TIGER is taking slowly but steadily an ever growing chunk out of the motorcycle market .

SECOND

I have been speaking to the engineer from TIGER he showed me the first test results from the 250 cc on E85. he told me this year their will be a kit available to ride the tiger on E85 which costs only around 15 baht. I dont know if E85 is already available in Thailand.

THIRD

I tested the tiger smart 135 cx it is a well balanced torquey bike going strong in any field. There is a dirt track at the back of the Tiger factory and i rode it there well i can say it surprised me. smooth absorbers and the high torque is usefull. The frame is very firm and stable.The extra bar in the middle helps it a lot.

Nice reception and service from TIGER again. I thin I become part of their furniture :o:D:D:D

post-69913-1235873610_thumb.jpg post-69913-1235873641_thumb.jpg

thats all folks

Charlie

Hi Charlie, just curious ok, in your paragraph numbered 3, you say the xtra bar in the middle helps a lot ????

What bar are you talking about Charlie & where on the bike is it situated please ?? if this is a stupid question or I have missed something from earlier I apologise in advance ok.

Bros.

Hi tony bros,

Its not a stupid question at all.

I rode the smart cx 135 cc . i mean the frame is fortified with an extra bar . The bar is from underneath the handle bar towards the seat. I jumped with that bike and is amazingly strong. Its a four gear bike and also available with an auto clutch.

I'll probably order one for my GF she's 1.71 m tall and her Honda wave 100 cc is falling apart after only 4 years in use.The smart looks a lot stronger .

On monday i'll go to the BMS again ill take some picture from the smart and ill mail them to you .

cu l8r

Charlie

Hi tony bros,

Its not a stupid question at all.

I rode the smart cx 135 cc . i mean the frame is fortified with an extra bar . The bar is from underneath the handle bar towards the seat. I jumped with that bike and is amazingly strong. Its a four gear bike and also available with an auto clutch.

I'll probably order one for my GF she's 1.71 m tall and her Honda wave 100 cc is falling apart after only 4 years in use.The smart looks a lot stronger .

On monday i'll go to the BMS again ill take some picture from the smart and ill mail them to you .

cu l8r

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

You are to be congratulated for your enthusiastic effort to share your experience with all of us regarding the Tiger products, always interesting, always informative, & you havent managed to bore me yet, so just please keep up the good work ok, & if someone out there doesent like it they dont have to read it do they.

Now when u have time & can drag your sorry skinny ass off your "yellow peril " for just a few mts can you possibly call me please,

theres something I want to know re Tiger that Im sure u can ansa, but it would take forever for me to type it here, 087-1487325 any time up to 2am but not Sunday as its my birthday evening.

Thanks Sport,

Bros.

happy birthday mate

ok ill give you a call.

Whatever others think i dont care anymore. If they wanna spent double for the same pleasure up to them anyone is free to do what they like .

I did another 3k tour without any troubles im still happy with my boxers performance .

still the speedo can be better but tiger is working on it.

charlie

happy birthday mate

ok ill give you a call.

Whatever others think i dont care anymore. If they wanna spent double for the same pleasure up to them anyone is free to do what they like .

I did another 3k tour without any troubles im still happy with my boxers performance .

still the speedo can be better but tiger is working on it.

charlie

Hi charlie,

I did not even do a 1000 km on my Boxer 250 rs yet( i got it 7 days now) but 700 km...but i have to say that the bike is really great, this threat(which has a lot of info from you), the boxermc website & richard-bkk gave sufficient info for me to be highly focused on this bike, a further visit in the Bkk showroom and a test with the bike and a talk with khun pariya gave me the confidence to go for it. Besides the product, the service is a big plus of Tiger , they are keen to move forward and listen to new ideas/suggestions & if there is a fault( my speedo had a small issue - yes you're right they need to work it out and sure they will- they have the drive to do it) i live 240 km northwest of bkk ...i reported the fault on thursday last week on friday pm they came with a whole new console and installed it ....problem solved. I would like to see who else would send a service team that distance and repair in the same swiftness. Hope others will be convinced too as i hope they are growing, 'cause they are on the right track.

mbox

Hi Mbox,

Thanks for your compliments and thanks again to confirm what im saying already for 3 months. Many didnt want to believe,Thinking i was telling shit or on Tigers payroll. or got paid for my articles i had to hear it all.

I didnt know that there are still so many people on this globe without any respect or willing to accept info .... whatever up to them ......i did it all selflessly....

I received always a lot of respect from TIGER because my critics where constructive and my Thai is good to talk with the mechanics so they do understand everything better now. Tiger decided to put my color scheme on the show .nice move from Tiger (respect)

If you have any critics forward them to Pariya

I should say LET'S BUILD TOGETHER.)

Charlie

Hi again Mbox

Dont worry about tiger .They are doing very well they are nearly producing at 100 %.

A lot of bulldogs 150 cc are leaving the factory weekly.

The tiger smart is taking of again too.

every week they receive 2 orders from the boxer 250 Rs only In Thailand . So Thais start to buy little by little Tiger again.

70 e-boxer units were shipped to the States .

1 unit in NORWAY .... many other European countries are interested,tiger needs to modify the boxer a bit according to the EC rules .....

1 container of BOXER 150 Rs went to Japan

Last but not least.

The Boxers engine has proven its qlty they already produced more than 80000 engines for the police bikes the 250 Rs is based on the 200 cc I never heard a police complaining about the engine . only about other minor issues.... which seems to be solved by now

charlie

I'm not ready to buy a Tiger just yet, but I sure do love their models :o

040509TigerGirlZm.jpg

130.gif130.gif130.gif

Hey Big Bike,

just do the right thing & buy the 250 Tiger boxer ok,

then if you call at my home in Scamland ( Pattaya ) "That beautiful gal " or her younger sister will make you a fresh coffee, cup of tea or even open you a cold beer, now close mouth cos you are drooling on your T shirt ha ha haaaaaaaaa.

Thats a suprise for you hey !

Bros.

Edited by soundman
Fixed formatting. Take care with your quote tags please.

She had some friends also

Your right about " Her " friends Richard but theres also family to consider as well.

The 2nd gal from the left in the last photo is Nois younger sister- Gib a little darling, stunning, single, & drinks San Mig lights ! both of gals very easy on the eyes.

To keep this Tiger topic on subject ( & avoid upsetting someone ) I have 2 questions please, do you or anyone else have any idea of the correct horsepower produced by the ( is it a ) single overhead cam 2 valve Honda copy ?? 125 cc motor which is fitted into the all New Boxer 125 retro bike & the regular Tiger 125 please ?

For some reason 12 hp is ringing a bell but I cant recall where or from whom I heard it.

2nd question does anyone have knowlege of a "Bigger Bore " cylinder bore & piston kit supplier for the above engine ?

A local thai motorcycle taxi guy said yes, for 125 Hondas they are available somewhere in Bkk but did not know which shop or any other info.

Thanks in advance,

Bros.

He Bros,

With Tiger Boxer Retro, I hope you mean the Tiger TT150, as the name says it is powered by a 150cc engine. Currently I have no idea about the power this engine generates. But I belief that this engine is also used for Tiger Bulldog 150cc, which is sold in the Philippines so some power specifications should be available soon.

The Tiger Boxer 125, which is exclusive for the Japanese market, and is not for sell in Thailand.

Big bore kits are available, theoretical you can upgrade a 150cc to 250cc without to much problems.

About Tiger being a Honda copy engine? If by some means the engine looks somewhat to a Honda engine then it is more likely that Honda copied it from Cagiva (which is Italian).

(But then Italians also say they invented spaghetti, which is much discussed as not completely true.... One thing I know for sure Marco Polo did not travel on a Cagiva to China)

Edited by Richard-BKK

He Bros,

With Tiger Boxer Retro, I hope you mean the Tiger TT150, as the name says it is powered by a 150cc engine. Currently I have no idea about the power this engine generates. But I belief that this engine is also used for Tiger Bulldog 150cc, which is sold in the Philippines so some power specifications should be available soon.

The Tiger Boxer 125, which is exclusive for the Japanese market, and is not for sell in Thailand.

Big bore kits are available, theoretical you can upgrade a 150cc to 250cc without to much problems.

About Tiger being a Honda copy engine? If by some means the engine looks somewhat to a Honda engine then it is more likely that Honda copied it from Cagiva (which is Italian).

(But then Italians also say they invented spaghetti, which is much discussed as not completely true.... One thing I know for sure Marco Polo did not travel on a Cagiva to China)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, the 125 engine Im refering to is as you say fitted in the retro TT bike, & yes I agree it looks the same as the Bulldog engine so I guess it is.

For sure that 125 does not look anything like the engine fitted in the Tiger 250 boxer bike.

Now unless I have my false eyelashes on upside down again ( very possible ) that Tiger 125 cc engine visually appears to strongly resemble the 100 & 125 motors fitted in older Honda CG (?) 125s,

also from memory a lot of the Chinese 125s also appear to have a fairly similar looking Lump fitted, so in my ignorance I assumed that it MAY BE an old style Honda engine thats now common to both Tiger & the Chinese & manufactured wherever.

IF that is the case & lets say it is a copy Honda you said that theoretically it can be stretched cc wise possibly up to 250cc, & that there were kits available,

Ok heres the burning question Richard , Do you have any idea where they come from, or who sells them in Thailand, any web site or shop addresses etc ??

I have looked on a couple of sites from Bkk but no luck at all, so I assume Im putting the wrong requests on my browser bar,

a lot of you guys have much more local knowlege than me so any starting point addresses or whatever would be gratefully received, thank you.

Bros

Maybe I was not clear, the Tiger TT150 is powered by a 150cc engine.

The Tiger 150cc engine in the Tiger TT150 is producing about 15 brake horse power in the rear wheel. Comparing this to what Honda CBR-150R lovers say, the Honda CBR-150R is producing somewhat around 16 to 17 horsepower. It is not clear if this in the rear wheel, but we surely can assume that the CBR-150R engine is more powerful then the Tiger TT150 engine.

The Tiger TT150 being about the price of a scooter, is what I call a fun bike. If you really want to compete to a Honda CBR-150R buy a Tiger Boxer 250 RS... Even the Tiger Boxer is more an all-round bike and the Honda CBR-150R is a sport bike it is not actual comparing ... but the Tiger Boxer 250 RS outperforms the CBR-150R on performance and fuel consumption. (And actually the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is 4,000 Baht more expensive then the Honda CBR-150R, the Tiger Boxer 200 R... Which still performance well is probably a better competitor to the Honda CBR-150R to price, power, and cost)

Also the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is set to be produced for 2 years from now and comes with a 3 year warranty. It is believed that the Honda CBR-150R is moving out of production this year and within 1 year part production licenses would be sold to third parties... Likely you will get "Made in China" parts....

For your unsuccessful searching for Tiger, most searches in combination with Tiger, motorcycles, motorcycle, Boxer, 250, 200 ... etc give a clear list of websites who have information... in English... Try that on a Honda Airblade...

Edited by Richard-BKK

The Tiger 150cc engine in the Tiger TT150 is producing about 15 brake horse power in the rear wheel. Comparing this to what Honda CBR-150R lovers say, the Honda CBR-150R is producing somewhat around 16 to 17 horsepower. It is not clear if this in the rear wheel, but we surely can assume that the CBR-150R engine is more powerful then the Tiger TT150 engine.

The Tiger TT150 being about the price of a scooter, is what I call a fun bike. If you really want to compete to a Honda CBR-150R buy a Tiger Boxer 250 RS... Even the Tiger Boxer is more an all-round bike and the Honda CBR-150R is a sport bike it is not actual comparing ... but the Tiger Boxer 250 RS outperforms the CBR-150R on performance and fuel consumption. (And actually the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is 4,000 Baht more expensive then the Honda CBR-150R, the Tiger Boxer 200 R... Which still performance well is probably a better competitor to the Honda CBR-150R to price, power, and cost)

Also the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is set to be produced for 2 years from now and comes with a 3 year warranty. It is believed that the Honda CBR-150R is moving out of production this year and within 1 year part production licenses would be sold to third parties... Likely you will get "Made in China" parts....

For your unsuccessful searching for Tiger, most searches in combination with Tiger, motorcycles, motorcycle, Boxer, 250, 200 ... etc give a clear list of websites who have information... in English... Try that on a Honda Airblade...

/quote]

Sorry Richard if I confused you, ( happens to me a lot ) Thanks a lot for the initial Tiger information, thats a good start.

what I was asking is do you have any actual names or other info on who may supply big bore kits for the old style Honda 125 singles in Bkk or elsewhere in Thailand please ??

Thanks again & apologies if I missled you.

Bros

Actually nobody has as yet strapped a CBR 150R onto a dyno; so we don't know! There's been numbers thrown around that were probably measured at the wristpin (22 if I recall correctly is the amount that was being reported from Malaysia-about 2 too high if you ask me), but if I had to guess it would be right there around 17....and that's based on extrapolation from the carb'd Ninja's numbers.

But that's peak numbers. If Tiger was smart their TT would be a 'lil grunt monster, well as much torque as you can get from a 150 anyways. A bike like that is for cruising around town and looking good. Going for a 'big' HP number wouldn't be the best decision.

I really want to like the Boxer, but if I were to have one, I'd have the same worries I have when I'm on the Ninja. Not worries about whether it will get the job done of touring; but rather being out touring in Nakhon Nowhere and having some problem that the local Somchai wouldn't be able to address due to lack of knowledge and or parts. Notice I'm not besmirching either Kawasaki's nor Tiger's quality, just thinking about worst case scenario.

The Boxer definitely has the CBR 150R beat on power, at a really compelling price point. But just how does it compare on fuel consumption? I know that PeaceBlondie gets ~32km/L, and I've seen that as my low point. It was more often at or slightly below 40 for me.

And finally; does it really matter that the parts for the CBR 150R, assuming that the predictions of its demise are overstated, are made in China? Doesn't BMW source parts from there? I'd assume that the standard Honda quality controls are in place and there'd be little to worry about.

Oh, and a google search of "Honda Airblade" returned 39 000+/- entries; "Tiger Boxer" returned 42 000+/-. Filtering out non-English sites leaves Airblade at 20 000 +/- and the Tiger tying it at 20 000 +/-.

Yes, I have information where you can buy Honda bore-ups, but not to anger the moderators of this forum I would prefer you ask this off topic question by PM.

Why don't you post that information in the CBR 150R thread. Any helpful posts are appreciated.

dave he was on about cg125 bore up kits. we have been around the houses on this cbr/tiger250 thing before.

SO let me state my conclusions

1) the Tiger is a totally different riding beast compared to the Cbr, the Tiger 250 has way more midrange than the Cbr (which it should as its 82cc bigger) and is a far more comfortable long distant bike than the Cbr. for a relaxed engine and the midrange. and happily they have now fixed the seat :o:D

2) The Tiger has about the same top end as the Cbr which is a suprise considering the Tiger has a 5 speed gearbox not 6 speed like the Cbr , the Cbr is more fun if you are a sporty rider and like to stir the box.

3) You either like it or don't. i personally see a place for them both. but i think they aint the same place.

So this constant reference of the Tiger 250 to the Cbr150 IS NOT REALLY RELEVANT. They are 2 very different bikes, that fit their respective buyers well.

Ride happy and safe.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

I have been getting about 34.5 km/l on ethanol on my CBR150, including freeway runs up to 125 kph. I doubt we have enough reliable info on Tiger Boxer 250 to be sure the 250 gets much better than that. Mai bpen rai: once you get 35, you are not using enough fuel to save much more at a higher number. I imagine that being in a lower state of tune, and less aerodynamic, the Tiger Boxer does not outperform the CBR150 by much. And, without a tach or a dyno horsepower curve, how would you know when to shift?

Yes, I have information where you can buy Honda bore-ups, but not to anger the moderators of this forum I would prefer you ask this off topic question by PM.

Sent you a pm regarding the Tiger engine bore, but I may have done it all wrong cos its telling me strange messages back ( senility mate )

if you dont rec it heres my no 087-1487325 quick call & I will call u straight back.

Bros

He Bros,

It gets confusing for me, are you looking for Tiger bore-up kits or do you want to buy a Honda bore-up kit?

For the Tiger bore-up kit you can contact Tiger Motor Co Ltd and they can prepare a set for needed parts for you. For Honda bore-up kits you can contact http://www.akunar.com they have a wide range of bore-up kits.

He Bros,

It gets confusing for me, are you looking for Tiger bore-up kits or do you want to buy a Honda bore-up kit?

For the Tiger bore-up kit you can contact Tiger Motor Co Ltd and they can prepare a set for needed parts for you. For Honda bore-up kits you can contact http://www.akunar.com they have a wide range of bore-up kits.

Richard,

thanks very much for a fast reply regarding the bore kit info, very informative it looks like my PM did arrive with you after all.

I have contacted Tiger factory, & so has Charlie to find out if the TT 150 engine is something special to Tiger OR IS IT just a HONDA CG clone, truly sorry if I have been confusing you.

We are waiting for a reply now from Tiger, but maybe its already Sonkran & the factory could be closed for some days.

There are 2 choices as I see it Richard,

If Tiger TT engine is just another Honda CG clone then Im assuming CG Honda big bore kits from Akunar will fit.

BUT IF IT IS Tigers own 100% design then yes you are right, I would have to talk to Tiger about big bore kits.

I will keep you all posted when I find out exactly what engine Tiger are using in the TT, in the meantime, Thank you again.

Bros

I belief that the Honda CG and Tiger Boxer engine are not compatible in the form of swapping parts. Also I'm not aware that Akunar sells Honda CG bore-up kits, but everything is possible I did not visit them for some time.

I belief that the Honda CG and Tiger Boxer engine are not compatible in the form of swapping parts. Also I'm not aware that Akunar sells Honda CG bore-up kits, but everything is possible I did not visit them for some time.

You are probably right Richard that the CG Honda & Tiger 150 motors are not copies of each other & if that is the case then I agree parts cant be swapped. unless you got real lucky.

Soon as I do hear back from Tiger as to exactly what origins of the engine is that they are fitting in the TT 150 the truth will be revealed.

Reading the Akunar list there are 4 styles of piston that they can supply, 3 types are given in bore sizes only, but not in the model of the engine so difficult to identify what fits what without speaking to the supplier,

However the 4 th type, which are the bog standard El Cheepo pistons, are listed as to what engine they are intended to be installed in, & they do list a Honda CG 125 with a 2 mm overbore.

Now I have to wait to see what the Tiger 150 really engine is then give Akunar or Tiger factory a call, I will report back when I find something out.

Thanks for your previous input & help Richard.

Bros.

Hi Richard,

I just heard from Khun Pariya at Tigers in Bkk, the TT 150 engine IS BASED ON A CG 110 OR 125 Honda, amazing that a coat of black paint makes it look that bit different.

I have asked him about an overbore & a couple of other things & he is getting back to me, I will keep you advised if it of any interest ?

Bros