Programs Running

bluebear

Another thread got me wondering about the list of programs running when you do the CTRL ALT DEL combination.

I got my laptop about a year ago (runs on XP ) and as always have loaded lots of stuff deleted lots of stuff. The result is I am sure I have got a lot of unwanted and un-needed junk that clutters up the memory/cpu etc. Some of the names are easy to recognise like Explorer, rundll but others I havent a clue about LSASS.EXE QTTASK.EXE anyone?

So the question is, is there a way of easily finding out what everything is.

Perhaps even someone could list all the stuff that should ( windows os junk ) and shouldnt ( spyware etc ) be on there - make it a sticky and update it ?

Monty, about your recommendation of MalWhere.

Looked at the website, seemed a good idea so l downloaded it. However l have serious issues with any freeware product that requires agreeing to the following to install it.:o

Supported by Contextual Marketing From Save!

Save! A free offer companion is included with MalWhere and includes SearchBar, to provide you with contextually relevant offers and information, including search results as you surf the Internet.

SearchBar gives you easy access to powerful Internet search capabilities, while presenting you with special offers, and websites right inside the toolbar.

By downloading MalWhere, you are accepting the license agreement for the Save! bundle.

I don't know about you, but that sets alarm bells ringing for me bigtime. :D

Save! A free offer companion is included with MalWhere and includes SearchBar, to provide you with contextually relevant offers and information, including search results as you surf the Internet.

Got exactly the same response from me HM. Which is a shame because the software actually sounds really useful. :D

And to call it freeware and then try to FORCE you to install their own version of ?ware is deception! :o

I'm staying clear....

BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD MALWHERE READ THIS!!!

Well, it looks like l'm not the first person by a longshot to have doubts about this product.

Doing a Google search on MalWhere comes up with some interesting information including postings on Spyware Warrior.com a trusted anti-spyware forum. Comments include:

Malwhere - is really malware

Sometimes I act against my own best intentions and take shortcuts. I could have checked this program out before I installed it but I figured I could undo any changes it made because I use Total Uninstall and I also have good antivirus and antispyware shields. I installed it and my protection softwares were all screaming "kill it!". It took me 2 hours to remove everything this program installed. Most of it seems harmless but they don't tell you about all the junk in it on the website. It had toolbars, bho's, search redirections, and something that acted like a trojan all in this neat little package.

It installs:

BargainBuddy

CommonName

Ie Driver

NetPal

Favoriteman

Promulgate

UrlBlaze

Win32.Wintrim.Trojan.B

So if you've already installed this you may also want to consider installing and running a few anti-spyware utilities like Spybot and Ad-aware Sometimes even reputable download sites like Tucows can carry dubious products so if you're still considering downloading MalWhere then do some Google searches on MalWhere spyware save etc. before you do.

Sorry guys,

had no idea about all that Malwhere stuff :D

I installed it from the cd which came with issue 151 of the PCHome magazine.

The version on that cd certainly is clean and has no such thing as agreeing to let it install that nasty "Save bundle".

Perhaps the guys at PCHome cleaned it up first although they don't mention anything about it in the magazine where they talk about how good the program is!

When I posted I did a quick search on Google to see if I could include a download link in my post. (Which obviously unfortunately I did)

Mea Culpa :o

To answer Bluebears original question, here is is one of the best sites to check out what all those running programs are.

Answers That Work.com

Just click on Task List

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites is probably the best such list on the web. A good idea to check before installing any anti-spyware program as not all are what they claim. :o

MalWhere gets a mention btw.

The increasing problem you have searching for this information with Google is that you find a lot of links where the system process is listed as part of a Hijack This log that doesn't really tell you very much. Using the Answers That Work list saves wading through a lot of irrelevant information but when you do find something out of the ordinary further searching on Google etc. is useful.

regcleaner, registry cleaner will take out all the old registries. you have to look around to find the good one, called regcleaner. i have version 4.3 by jouni vuori. i don't remember where i downloaded it from, but it took a little bit of searching at the time, because i didn't know who the author was. funny thing was i already had it on my machine, but in the thai language, and couldn't figure how to translate it, but it has a translator in the toolbar also.