The Bigger Thailand Condo Jomtien Beach

awayfoe

This cliche thing is infectious. :o Dark Satanic Mills! Just look at Salts Mill in Bradford. What a beautiful, stately, noble building. In its time it had the largest room in Europe. http://www.saltsmill.org.uk/index.php?setPano=mainfloor

Its still loved today and attracts visitors from all over the world to enjoy the Hockney Galleries and the structure itself.

Many mills have been retained and adapted to serve as Arts Centres, museums, heritage centres or even shopping malls. Some are still magnificent today and reflect the spirit and optimism of the developers.

Ocean 1 is best judged by its local setting and purpose. Q1 is probably its nearest equivilent.

Jomtien is a holiday resort and not an ancient spacious city with tree lined boulevards and open spaces. Q1 in Surfers Paradise is also squeezed into a skyline of high rise condos and short roads feeding onto the beach road. see http://www.q1.com.au/home.html

Eventually if visitors continue to be attracted the skyline in Jomtien will be very similar.

By then the low rent, low quality structures around it will have been redeveloped to the financial benefit of all involved. The structure will be completely in scale with the neighbourhood that its construction will help create.

Whether it is ugly or not is a matter of taste but Sim City is a wildly popular game with the younger generation.

When the much loved and now protected Georgian Terraces were built in Bath there were similar protests. It was claimed the buildings were monstrous, out of scale and reflected the developers greed not public need. Some things never change.

Just so you know, the “clichéd” phrase belongs to a poem written by William Blake in 1804. He wasn’t referring to the gentrified, condomised, prettified mills of your experience, filled with high end retail, exposed brick walls, and charm. He was referring to the industrial mills of his own time, which blighted the landscape, choked the air, and exploited workers. The poem is not a rugby anthem. Just so you know.

Also, Sim City is not, never has been “wildly popular with the younger generation.”

Your admiration of Q1 astounds me. It’s not a very distinguished building at all, and its scale is far more modest than Ocean 1. But, no problem. If you like the Gold Coast so much, that’s the place for you to invest. It has the infrastructure and deep beach to support development on that scale. Queensland also, I’ll wager, has developers and constructors who know what they’re doing. If I were you, I would get my investment out of Ocean One, rush down to Brisbane, and put a deposit on Q1. Just go down to Bruno and ask for your money back.

So why turn Jomtien into the Gold Coast? Isn’t one enough?

Believe it or not, many of us come to Thailand because it is Thailand, and not Abu Dhabi Beach. We like the serendipity and scale, even the sleaze, of the narrow sois. We don’t want huge ugly buildings casting long shadows. We don’t want another shopping mall.

I’m sure even you might protest if some developer were brazen enough to construct a huge, silly tower in the middle of Bath.