Amd Processors

Richb2004v2

I recently bought a new Acer laptop after years of managing with an ancient old Sony. After some deliberation, but not enough research, I plumbed for a machine with AMD chip set. With this I got a bigger screen, faster processor and more memory for the same price as the Pentium machine. My old Sony had an AMD processor as did one of my old desk tops. However I am a little concerned as when I took the machine to a man to install software I noticed the intense heat emanating from the back of the machine. When compared to the Pentium machine running by the side of it there was a huge difference. The man said this was normal as the AMD is faster but hotter. I am now wondering is this going to be a problem later, especially as I primarily want to use it in my garden. I have one of those USB fans that I can direct on to the machine but I don’t think that will do much. The processors are AMD Turion 64 X2 1.9GHz.

Has anyone else had experience of these or any problems?

I also have an acer with the TurionX2 CPU. It indeed can run quite hot, however, using the acer software you can set the cpu to throttle down automatically when idling. You usually use this setting to increase battery life, but can also use it when running on the mains.

This reduces the heat generated by a huge margin, and when CPU processing power is required by an application, the clock frequency gets upped to the max immediately. I do not feel any performance hit using this setting, but the machine stays appreciatively cooler!

If you monitor cpu temp in a laptop its not uncommen to see 65c at times.  Mine runs 50 52 and the fan kicks in around 60c. under a load. The only thing I do is make sure the air intake is not blocked I rise the back of the laptop  1 inch using a little block.  Like the little tabs that fold out on a keyboard.  The air temp around you will get you before it even starts to effect your laptop, but I would not leave it out in the sun. :o

I recently bought a new Acer laptop after years of managing with an ancient old Sony. After some deliberation, but not enough research, I plumbed for a machine with AMD chip set. With this I got a bigger screen, faster processor and more memory for the same price as the Pentium machine. My old Sony had an AMD processor as did one of my old desk tops. However I am a little concerned as when I took the machine to a man to install software I noticed the intense heat emanating from the back of the machine. When compared to the Pentium machine running by the side of it there was a huge difference. The man said this was normal as the AMD is faster but hotter. I am now wondering is this going to be a problem later, especially as I primarily want to use it in my garden. I have one of those USB fans that I can direct on to the machine but I don’t think that will do much. The processors are AMD Turion 64 X2 1.9GHz.

Has anyone else had experience of these or any problems?

I have used AMD processors in everything I build and/or buy with no problems at all. Yes, they historically run hotter but the manufacturer knows this and produces them accordingly. If you are concerned about laptop heat, when at home use one of those laptop cooler pads powered by your USB port. They do work and are relatively inexpensive.

Nanu Nanu

I've got one of those as well ... make sure you don't put anything that will melt within a meters radius of it ha ha!!! :o

Aren't those USB cooling fans a bit like leaving the fridge door open to try and cool the house ..?

Edited by malcolmswaine

Hi :o

I have used nothing but AMD since the K6-2/350 and never had one die on me - and i built a LOT of machines.

My boyfriend also has a Turion-powered Acer (following my advice) and it, too, runs fine even if kept on the whole day.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I agree, with Thanh-BKK, I maybe have the same notebook. But even for network servers I still prefer, AMD processors over Intel processors. Speed is not always the most important.

I can tell a story of a office who switched from a Intel Pentium 3ht, to a AMD 2x4000 system and saved almost 500 Baht per month on electric. No, joke, even today if somebody wants to know,, I advice a AMD of Intel for servers, as they are just as good and just use less energy.

Not forget, I have the latest Intel Dual2Core quarto pumping in my desktop, I'm surely not against Intel.... Just value to performance...

Another thing to consider is making sure that all the software updates are installed. Sometimes Windwos doesn't want to run the correct drivers, and this could be a problem of it not issuing calls to speed up/slow down the fan. You may also want to look into a program such as Speedfan that allows you to manually control the speed of the fans, which you could set higher and thus cool off the processor better.

I bought a fan stand thing today from Tuk.com in Pattaya. The laptop sits on the satnd with inbuilt fans to cool it. Afterwards a friend pointed out that the idea of these fans is sort of self defeating. After all the fans run from USB and therefore draw power to be used. That made sense. What do you all think?

I installed and configured RMClock on the gf's AMD laptop. I was able to undervolt the processor by a lot and most importantly enable dynamic cpu speed switching, not natively supported by XP for this processor evidently. Her battery life more than doubled and it runs cooler as well.