Beach Clean Up.

Richb2004v2

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a beach clean up or assisted in one. I live close to three beaches in Ban Chang and visit them a couple of times per week. I ride my mountain bike to them a few times per week and some times go there to eat or just relax with my wife. The beaches themselves are in general a complete mess. They are strewn with plastic waste and mess. There are always a lot of people there playing in the sea and having picnics but they seem obviously oblivious to the rubbish. For a while now I have wanted to do something about it but don’t know if it is even worth starting. I went yesterday to survey the situation and it is quite bad. I think that it would take a lot of work. However, slow progress is better than none. There are many bins there to put the rubbish in that I assume get emptied regularly. I am sure a few hands could make some impact over time even if only a day or so per week.

I did once see a ferang man collecting bottles there. Subsequently he appeared on TV and in newspapers. As far as I know he was only collecting the bottles to return for cash.

Has anyone else attempted such a task? Is it worth starting or will so much more be washed up anyway?

If anyone in the Ban Chang area is interested in giving me a hand PM me.

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a beach clean up or assisted in one. I live close to three beaches in Ban Chang and visit them a couple of times per week. I ride my mountain bike to them a few times per week and some times go there to eat or just relax with my wife. The beaches themselves are in general a complete mess. They are strewn with plastic waste and mess. There are always a lot of people there playing in the sea and having picnics but they seem obviously oblivious to the rubbish. For a while now I have wanted to do something about it but don't know if it is even worth starting. I went yesterday to survey the situation and it is quite bad. I think that it would take a lot of work. However, slow progress is better than none. There are many bins there to put the rubbish in that I assume get emptied regularly. I am sure a few hands could make some impact over time even if only a day or so per week.

I did once see a ferang man collecting bottles there. Subsequently he appeared on TV and in newspapers. As far as I know he was only collecting the bottles to return for cash.

Has anyone else attempted such a task? Is it worth starting or will so much more be washed up anyway?

If I say this first it may stop the flamers. "You should go home mate" Of course I do not mean this. Its just that anyone who trys to do anything positive where they live in LOS gets this kind of reaction from the old fart Ive been here since before Thapae Gate was built brigade".

Put together your feelings on Paper and off to the copy shop. 50 copies and post em at your local Farang restuarants and Bars. Dates and times of meeting and see what happens.

T_ Dog is trying to do a similar thing here in CM about air pollution "Burning continues and air quality issues"

Just take the first step and you may well be walking on a clean beach in a month or so?

Edited by bsided69

You can always do your small bit. I let the rubbish fend for itself, but on my strolls, I always pick up the pieces of broken glass and move them to somewhere safe (where they won't be trod upon). You could probably organise a voluntary clean-up, but it would need to be done fairly regularly (it's not just the stuff that's strewn there - it washes in with every tide). I like the bins idea, but who's going to be responsible for cleaning them out? What about some signposts in Thai and English - 'Please Take Your Rubbish Home With You'. Who will pay for them? Will you get permission to erect them? An article in the local newspaper could work wonders and you may be surprised about how keen they are to help, if you can present them with a few ideas such as these. (See if you can get a group together first and elect a spokesperson.) Good luck.

Back in the day when I was a rock climbing beach bum on PP... We used to take a couple longtails over to PP Ley every now and again and clean up Maya Bay. Problem was Maya Bay faces West, so half of all the garbage pitched in the ocean from Phuket winds up there. Talk about an uphill battle.

JL

Edited by justin54

I remember back in the US at school we had Community Service days; one of the activities was often beach clean up.

Maybe you could try and persuade a local school that it would be good for the kids to do some community service.

A lot of people may think it is totally out of the question and Thais are community service adverse, but my wife is doing community service at least a few times a month, in the form of volunteering at a low income day care, reading to blind kids, etc... She normally organizes a group to go; so this leads me to believe there must be quite a few Thais willing to do community service.

I remember back in the US at school we had Community Service days; one of the activities was often beach clean up.

Maybe you could try and persuade a local school that it would be good for the kids to do some community service.

A lot of people may think it is totally out of the question and Thais are community service adverse, but my wife is doing community service at least a few times a month, in the form of volunteering at a low income day care, reading to blind kids, etc... She normally organizes a group to go; so this leads me to believe there must be quite a few Thais willing to do community service.

In HuaHin and in Phuket it was local schools that headed up the beach clean-up days

Well, that farang you mentioned is a member here in ThaiVisa.

He is most definately not cashing the bottles in!! :D

He has been doing exactly what you propose for over 3 years now. Every day. Usually 2-3 hours daily. Hauling trash out of the ocean as well as cleaning the beach of litter. This is here in Jomtien but he has cleaned several beach ares in the area. Sort of a bus-mans holiday I guess. :o

His member name is..KOTO or koto not sure. Send him a PM.

Go for it! :o

I'll be scheduling a beach clean-up project for the entire island of Koh Chang later this year. We'll have dozens of volunteers (Thai and farang) cleaning for a month. But before any of it begins we'll do an island-wide media campaign to educate the locals (and tourists) about littering.

If anyone is considering doing clean-up projects I would highly suggest getting Thais involved as much as possible, since that's where most of the trash comes from. "An ounce of prevention is worth...." or something like that.

Good luck!

I remember last year whilst staying at the Dusit Pattaya, the so called private beach had many broken bottles exposed.

Nobody had made an attempt apart from me to remove them.

Mentioned it to the hotel---nothing!

Could not believe a hotel like that was not aware.

Don't even want to think of injuries that may have occurred and will in the future.

Just go and have good look, many lying just under the sand at waters edge!

<br />I remember last year whilst staying at the Dusit Pattaya, the so called private beach had many broken bottles exposed.<br /> <br />Nobody had made an attempt apart from me to remove them.<br /><br /> Mentioned it to the hotel---nothing!<br /><br /> Could not believe a hotel like that was not aware.<br /><br /> Don't even want to think of injuries that may have occurred and will in the future.<br /><br /> Just go and have good look, many lying just under the sand at waters edge!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Lets be honest here many Thais just dont care not only about rubbish but many other things.

Well, that farang you mentioned is a member here in ThaiVisa.

He is most definately not cashing the bottles in!! :D

He has been doing exactly what you propose for over 3 years now. Every day. Usually 2-3 hours daily. Hauling trash out of the ocean as well as cleaning the beach of litter. This is here in Jomtien but he has cleaned several beach ares in the area. Sort of a bus-mans holiday I guess. :o

His member name is..KOTO or koto not sure. Send him a PM.

Are you sure that we are thinking of the same guy? This guy was only collecting bottles and my wife confirmed that from his spot on TV.

I will try to find him on the forum now.

KOTO is a different man.

I think that I will make up some notices to attach to the bins giving a time to meet and take it from there. I guess that at the end of the day there are very few ferang using the beach so I can't expect too much.

I've organized two beach clean-ups on Kho Samet and one waterfall clean up at Khao Khiow, both started with our core group but wound up with dozens of foreigners and Thais joining in.

Out of habit I wander up and down the beach with a child's play bucket collecting fragments of glass - it seems to be infectious because there is always someone who will join in the hunt.

Thailand beach clean-up? It's like painting the Forth Bridge. :o

Doesnt the forth bridge look nice though!

The Forth Bridge is being painted with a high tech paint, meaning it won't need painting again for 30 years.

Come on fellas, it was only an expression! :D

But in truth, you are wasting your time. It may stay clean for a day or two, maybe even a week. But the flotsam and jetsam will quickly replace what you pick up, let alone the - mostly - Thais who will replace it even quicker.

I never leave rubbish on the beach - everything is put back into the plastic bags that it was brought in. But looking around, I have seen quite a few farangs surreptitiously burying their crap, and Thais blatantly leaving their rubbish where it fell as they walk away from their party.

Perhaps a new "No litter" law would help the BiB increase their income and help keep the beaches clean. I would be for that, 100%.

Then we could all turn our attention to dealing with the crap lining the streets and grass verges, especially around schools and colleges. :D

Hi Rich. I live overlooking Payun beach and agree about the amount of crap lying on it just now. All depends on the tides and the weather as some days the beach is pretty well clear of garbage the next it can be full of it. There's an old Thai who walks the beach early every morning but he only collects what he can sell. Most of the beach resteraunts clear the patch infront of their own places too. Must admit that the west end of the beach looks like a tip at the moment.

Drop me a PM if you want.

The Forth Bridge is being painted with a high tech paint, meaning it won't need painting again for 30 years.

But in truth, you are wasting your time. It may stay clean for a day or two, maybe even a week. But the flotsam and jetsam will quickly replace what you pick up, let alone the - mostly - Thais who will replace it even quicker.

I never leave rubbish on the beach - everything is put back into the plastic bags that it was brought in. But looking around, I have seen quite a few farangs surreptitiously burying their crap, and Thais blatantly leaving their rubbish where it fell as they walk away from their party.

Perhaps a new "No litter" law would help the BiB increase their income and help keep the beaches clean. I would be for that, 100%.

Then we could all turn our attention to dealing with the crap lining the streets and grass verges, especially around schools and colleges. :D

That is an excellent idea! And in my view the only one with any longlasting effect. This would be a better fund raiser for the BiB than No Helmets/Licences and Gambling put together!

Now. How do we get this new No Litter Law to whoever's in charge at the relevant government department . Perhaps the guy who thought up the law, unfortunately but predictably, confined to the areas of Silom and Sumkumvit and mostly only applied to foreigners, of being fined 2000 baht for dropping their cigarette buts.

Webster University Thailand though situated in Cha-Am Amphur but they held beach clean-up in 2002 and 2003 on Hua Hin beach. I joined the one in 2002 and I understood that the university contact the Hua Hin municipality. On the clean-up day, the mayor was there to give a short speech but the main thing is there was two beach trash trucks to drive up and down collecting plastic bags, beer bottles and cans, dead leaves, etc. while students walking from the south up north (from Khao Takiab Beach to Hilton Hotel). It went well even though the next day the beach became trashed again. WUT also got some sponsors who provided trash bags and gloves.

Besides this there have been several schools and organizations that cooperate and hold beach clean-up once or twice a year on Hua Hin beach..usually from Khao Takiab to the area in front of Hilton Hotel.

You can start small by contacting local schools but I have to wonder if that will go through without pulling local government to help. Or, you can talk to local people who live and work around the beach and try to build awareness like if they trash their own homes no one wants to come for a visit. I hope this helps at least a bit :o

I've started collecting trash in my spare time in two locations; Bang Saen and also around the area of Jomtien where i sail. Spend 20 minutes, just gather up as much as possible, and toss it.

Every time, kids, adults, various othe rpoeple have joined in and helped to pick up. My own guess is that most people watching realise how much trash is generated, and are a tad more careful to use bins to throw away.

In the case of the sailing area, the administrators in that area saw this happening, and now send out some of their staff to pick up the rubbish which washes in once a week, and now at least down to the mid tide line, the beach is significantly cleaner to look at ALL THE TIME.

To anyone who complains the problem is too big, sure it is a massive problem. I suggest that everyone do something about it, rather than sitting on your fat farang ass and complaining about it.

Even 10 minutes is a few pieces less that are not drifting in and out. Even not throwing one plastic bag in the sea is one less bag to deal with.

The best thing is by doing it in front of hotels or other service companies, they see a clean beach may realise the value of that, and then do something a bit more long term to ensure it stays that way.

A lot of the beach trash is not new, it is water bourne, and floats around for months. So by picking it up, there is an immediate impact that lasts and lasts.

Just like Extra chewing gum. With no sugar added.

who are you to tell them not to try? perhaps they dont require advice from someone who has given up.

KOTO is a different man.

I think that I will make up some notices to attach to the bins giving a time to meet and take it from there. I guess that at the end of the day there are very few ferang using the beach so I can't expect too much.

Aloha

I'm Koto, First Mahalo Nui Loa for wanting to do some Tam Boon, I never sell the plastic or the bottles, I put them in the dumpsters for the people, I find that everything starts with a party of one, and as you know, everything that you need is at the beach, bags and the garbage, Once you start, from time to time people will help you, I find that Thais offer their help much more often then a Farang, much of the garbage comes from the ocean, just remember every time you pick up a TOXIC CIGARETTE FILTER, you could be saving a unknowning child from putting the TOXIC FILTER into their mouth and getting quite sick, or from a fish eating it an dieing or we eat the fish, the PLASTIC, stops the clams, crabs and other sea life from eating and they die, Above all don't wait for your neighbor to help you, just start, you will find that there are 6 foot steps in the sand, yours, Buddhas and God, you will never walk alone, like the Hump-Back Whale, we are an endangered spicies, The cry of Mother Nature is loud and clear, The problem is that most people just think about themselves and forgot how to give back, shame,shame, you will find that most of the smokers are the biggest problem, they share their bad habbit with all of us, Just start Waster-Sizing, Bend at the waist to pick up the waste and get rid of both. "The life of the people is in the land" JUST DO IT, May health and happiness be with you and yours.

[email protected]

I never litter, nor do my wife and son. Its nice of people to volunteer to clean up the environment, but I didn't retire here to become a garbage collector. I don't live anywhere near a beach, but there is garbage everywhere. If there were a real sense of nationalistic pride, it would be reflected by how the citizens care for the countries environment. Like they say, a picture tells a thousand words.

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a beach clean up or assisted in one. I live close to three beaches in Ban Chang and visit them a couple of times per week. I ride my mountain bike to them a few times per week and some times go there to eat or just relax with my wife. The beaches themselves are in general a complete mess. They are strewn with plastic waste and mess. There are always a lot of people there playing in the sea and having picnics but they seem obviously oblivious to the rubbish. For a while now I have wanted to do something about it but don't know if it is even worth starting. I went yesterday to survey the situation and it is quite bad. I think that it would take a lot of work. However, slow progress is better than none. There are many bins there to put the rubbish in that I assume get emptied regularly. I am sure a few hands could make some impact over time even if only a day or so per week.

Yes it will wash up, again and again, And it is the best form of exercise that you will ever have, One beach at a time, You will find that there really is a Buddha and a God, They not only Walk the Walk with you, They thank you along with the Children and Wildlife, When you give of yourself to help others, such as Mother Nature, The rewards are priceless, ( Tam Boon ) I for the life of me, can't understand why we ALL aren't giving back, Everything that you pick up (HELPS) no matter how much, I sometimes give 4 hours in the AM and 3 hours in the PM, Of course I have been Waster-Sizing for a long, long time and I'm in good shape from Waster-Sizing, May the force be with you, You shine above most.

"THE LIFE OF THE PEOPLE IS IN THE LAND" Health and happiness to you and yours.

Koto Keeper of the ocean, PS 10 kilo dog food, 299 t0 399, or City Hall now provides me with dog food, I'm sure they would be happy, if more dogs were fed.

[email protected] "JUST DO IT"

Go for it! :o

I'll be scheduling a beach clean-up project for the entire island of Koh Chang later this year. We'll have dozens of volunteers (Thai and farang) cleaning for a month. But before any of it begins we'll do an island-wide media campaign to educate the locals (and tourists) about littering.

If anyone is considering doing clean-up projects I would highly suggest getting Thais involved as much as possible, since that's where most of the trash comes from. "An ounce of prevention is worth...." or something like that.

Good luck!

Aloha

Would you please share with me what all you do when you have an island wide campaign.

Mahalo, [email protected]

If I say this first it may stop the flamers. "You should go home mate" Of course I do not mean this. Its just that anyone who trys to do anything positive where they live in LOS gets this kind of reaction from the old fart Ive been here since before Thapae Gate was built brigade".

Put together your feelings on Paper and off to the copy shop. 50 copies and post em at your local Farang restuarants and Bars. Dates and times of meeting and see what happens.

T_ Dog is trying to do a similar thing here in CM about air pollution "Burning continues and air quality issues"

Just take the first step and you may well be walking on a clean beach in a month or so?

"NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT", TAKE THE FIRST STEP, REACH OUT,

PICK UP SOMETHING, JUST DO IT, IT IS ALL OF OUR TURN TO GIVE BACK

WHERE EVER WE ARE, WE ARE ALL CONNECTED,

"THE LIFE OF THE PEOPLE IS IN THE LAND"