The Dark Side II

paul1970

PJ's bar Top of Khao Noi is not too bad on a Friday nights, good place to take the missus or relax with friends, has music and a pool.

Have we met before?

We ended up there a couple of times recently after our Friday night-outs. The place is packed and good party going on indeed.

Thats very possible Raro :D , although Im a bit worse for wear when Im in there, my parents friends normally sit along the right hand side near the singer. Do you know Malcom?

I normally pop in every other Friday.

Is Malcolm the owner? Been introduced to him, nothing more. We appeared there three times in the course of our Friday night-out ventures and I kinda like the place, although I am possibly on of the youngest there at my tender age of 41.

Your older than me :o

Let us know next time your there and I'll pop round and buy you a beer. Malcom is the owner, but there is another Scottish one who is always singing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Paul, the Lucky Time was mentioned very early in the original Dark Side thread. I was surprised to find a nice, seemingly ordinary pub-like place. Female waitresses, but, at least at that hour, no BGs. Very nice atmosphere.

For those that don't know, the Lucky Time bar is a non-BG establishment ALL the time. It is really a neighborhood pub (ala Cheers) and all around hang-out. Just installed a new kitchen too a few months back. Pool, darts, food, and drink. No working girls so a nice place to go to get away from them or to bring the misses.

why "Dark Side"? we live ~1.5km east of Sukhumvit but we have electricity, street lights and believe it or not... lighting in our home.

Very good points :o

"East Pattaya" sounds so bland...at least ""Dark Siders" give as an air of menace and mystery :D

But I agree...lets get a naming contest going and see what we can come up with!

It all started in another tread about how bad the crime was on our side of pattaya from someone on the west side of pattaya :o If it scares people to come over to our darkside then good we get to have all the fun with our great cafe's & bars all to ourself ha ha :D

why "Dark Side"? we live ~1.5km east of Sukhumvit but we have electricity, street lights and believe it or not... lighting in our home.

"East Pattaya" sounds so bland...at least ""Dark Siders" give as an air of menace and mystery :D

Many Westsiders think that DARKSIDE stands for Dangerous And Krappy Roads...Scam "Investments" Down East.

Not me though.

Whatever turns your crank!!

I lived east of the Sukhumwit from '97 to '04 and quite like the term "Dark Side", it has a new frontiers ring to it. East Pattaya is just too plain and predictable. I suppose the Far Side might suit quite a few of the residents.

When Thai friends learnt that I was going to live in Soi Khaw Noi quite a few of them were concerned for my safety due to the reputation of the area. Must admit I never had any problems but then the only drinking establishments were the shop houses back down towards the railway so generally did my drinking at home (rarely) or in Pattaya itself. I think I went to Noi's bar once not long after it opened, at least I went to a bar that was in the area marked on the Google image. I can see that next time I'm back in town I'll have to mosey over and take a look see.

I think the Darkside is just fine.

Shades of Hobbit-esque forests with Dark forces wafting over the lake, and inexplicable happenings. :D

Indeed some of the older members may recall that my TV name used to be Mobi D'Ark, but I dropped the D'Ark as it was scaring too many youngsters :D

Yes, we are the Dark Siders, and they are the Red Lighters. :D

I think the Darkside is just fine.

Shades of Hobbit-esque forests with Dark forces wafting over the lake, and inexplicable happenings. :D

Indeed some of the older members may recall that my TV name used to be Mobi D'Ark, but I dropped the D'Ark as it was scaring too many youngsters :D

Yes, we are the Dark Siders, and they are the Red Lighters. :D

Absolutely, Mobi! Stick with the Dark Side. As I noted earlier in the thread, I just wish we'd stop "blending in" more of the Red Lighters favorite type of establishments.

Am I surprised?

Some poster (forgot who) wanted to discuss other good stuff to do on the dark side. But what else than bars and girls came up? Nothing inherently wrong with those two "items" as such, but I had hopes of hearing about golf courses, art galleries, wonderful libraries, and of course museums. Pleasure cruises on the lake. All these treasures on the dark side, and nobody to promote them. Shame on you!

Am I surprised?

Some poster (forgot who) wanted to discuss other good stuff to do on the dark side. But what else than bars and girls came up? Nothing inherently wrong with those two "items" as such, but I had hopes of hearing about golf courses, art galleries, wonderful libraries, and of course museums. Pleasure cruises on the lake. All these treasures on the dark side, and nobody to promote them. Shame on you!

Golf courses, there are over 20 in the area, didn't know you were a golfer, I thought tennis was more your style.

As to the rest, these European cultural venues are sadly lacking in the area.

Pleasure cruises on the lake are currently being done by pick-up until there is enough water to cover the dirt. It will interesting to see what the powers that be do with the dust bowl they created when the bulldozed all the vegetation regrowth from the last attempt to landscape the lake. :o

Chang_paarp,

This brings tears to my eyes, and millions of brownie-points to you. I mean, this goes to show you have actually read some of my previous (admittedly brilliant) posts, and can remember that I play tennis (well I attempt to do in a way). Way to go! But I have also played (again tried to play) a spot of golf in the past, and will soon take it up again. But enough of me for now, my ego is bursting.

Anyway, since we are sadly lacking in cultural venues on the dark side, I will hereby issue a challenge to all the upstanding citizens of Nongprue and Pong: I want to see an opera/ballet house built on the shores of our lovely Lake Mabprachan, and we shall go in front to raise the money for it! And the way to do it is of course....

Wait for it...

Yes!

It is to pick up trash, bottles and cans and SELL IT.

So soon we will have the pleasure of Le Figaro, Swan Lake and whatnot. The bars and suchlike venues will be empty, since all the punters will be at our new opera house.

Now all volonteers, please behave orderly, and form 2 lines to sign up. There, there, see you soon.

I'm a new transplant to the darkside and I'm trying for the life of me to remember the connecting sois between the 4 main roads. I know there's the soi that Dao restaurant is on to get from (excuse my spelling) Nern Plub Wan to Kao Talo and then there's the one I use from soi Siam to Nern Plub which I think is called Lablae road. So if anything, I would like to know all the connecting sois without having to go down to the tracks in defeat.

Then I get up to the temple areas and I'm completely lost whether it be day or night. The roads aren't straight and this is why I get confused. I'm so used to driving on the brightside where everything's pretty cut and dried including soi Buakow.

Thanks brothers.

I'm a new transplant to the darkside and I'm trying for the life of me to remember the connecting sois between the 4 main roads. I know there's the soi that Dao restaurant is on to get from (excuse my spelling) Nern Plub Wan to Kao Talo and then there's the one I use from soi Siam to Nern Plub which I think is called Lablae road. So if anything, I would like to know all the connecting sois without having to go down to the tracks in defeat.

Then I get up to the temple areas and I'm completely lost whether it be day or night. The roads aren't straight and this is why I get confused. I'm so used to driving on the brightside where everything's pretty cut and dried including soi Buakow.

Welcome to the Farside MFTHAI. I know how you feel...the roads over here do take some time to get to know. However, once you become familiar with the main routes (and the many short-cuts) you will get around just fine. The main way to learn is to just drive around (preferably during the day :o ).

Good luck!

Welcome to the Farside MFTHAI. I know how you feel...the roads over here do take some time to get to know. However, once you become familiar with the main routes (and the many short-cuts) you will get around just fine. The main way to learn is to just drive around (preferably during the day :D ).

Good luck!

Let's just say I'm keeping the oil companies in business... :o

Here we go as promised a map of the darkside showing the locations of most bars.

I hope you are all able to blow the map up to full size, cause it ain't good like this.

v8tfcorty, what happened to your map attachement?

I hadn't got round to copying it and it has now disappeared.

Any chance you can put it back opn this thread or PM it to me, as I found it most informative.

Here we go as promised a map of the darkside showing the locations of most bars.

I hope you are all able to blow the map up to full size, cause it ain't good like this.

v8tfcorty, what happened to your map attachement?

I hadn't got round to copying it and it has now disappeared.

Any chance you can put it back opn this thread or PM it to me, as I found it most informative.

For some reason the map keeps dissappearing, guess it's offending one of the mods.

Found a good shop for CP food products today called CP Minimarket in NPW, just before soi 6 coming from Sukhumvit on the right hand side. Great for chicken wings, nuggets that kind of thing and cheap, I love CP chicken nuggets and they are the same nuggets from nick the pizza (165 baht for 15) Tesco (150 baht for 25) CP minimarket (80 baht for a bag of 50). Also have Ostrich steaks (I think they where 150 baht) but I love ostrich meat. A good find if you like the type of food CP make.

Has anyone tried the bakers oven which I think has just recently opened opposite the market just across the railway bridge on Soi Nernplubwaan ?

Apparently from reading another forum it's supposed to be a good place for Pies and Pasties etc.

Has anyone tried the bakers oven which I think has just recently opened opposite the market just across the railway bridge on Soi Nernplubwaan ?

Apparently from reading another forum it's supposed to be a good place for Pies and Pasties etc.

i have had pies, pasties etc from there, they are ok, i found the pastry a bit hard but the fillings were very tasty

post-52199-1207311144_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it will last a bit longer before being deleted this time, grab it while you can.

thats a great map Paul, i have printed it off for my pals who visit the Darkside, thank you very much.

Uh oh! VISITORS! If they're from the west side, be sure they have their papers in order for our border check, timekeeper. They must also have bathed within the past 24 hours; and have a blood alcolhol level below 2.5! :D

Seriously, more business for the best of our Dark Side restaurants would be great! It will keep them alive, and, hopefully, convince others to provide us with even more options for great eating, at resident, rather than tourist prices! :o

Hopefully it will last a bit longer before being deleted this time, grab it while you can.

Thank you Paul. Much obliged and very useful :D

BTW I can't imagine why it was deleted :o

Thank you Paul. Much obliged and very useful :D

BTW I can't imagine why it was deleted :o

I assume that you are referring to the map which was posted by v8tfcorty.

When he was banned the attachment went with him.

Good news all you English tea lovers, you can buy PG tips tea bags at the Bakers oven which is in the small soi opposite the wet market on Nernplubwaan, the same soi as Chesters (great breakfast here by the way), it also sells a selection of British goods and home made pies and pasties etc as well as British sausages.

Good news all you English tea lovers, you can buy PG tips tea bags at the Bakers oven which is in the small soi opposite the wet market on Nernplubwaan, the same soi as Chesters (great breakfast here by the way), it also sells a selection of British goods and home made pies and pasties etc as well as British sausages.

Paul, are you the same "Paul" that I just met in Rung's restaurant this afternoon, while I was eating my cheeseburger?

Paul, are you the same "Paul" that I just met in Rung's restaurant this afternoon, while I was eating my cheeseburger?

No, wasn't in Rung's today, unfortunately there are a lot of us Paul's around. Where you in Rhung tip last night, I was there and there where a lot of farangs there. I counted I think 10 tables in use the most I've ever seen there.

If you did see me I'm hard too miss at 6 foot and 130Kilos which would make 286 of your American lbs in other words quite large :o

PS How was the cheeseburger ?

Edited by paul1970

:o Dark Siders

To start us off I will suggest a good wateriing hole on Nernplubwaan which is the Lucky Time bar, which has a nice atmosphere for a few drinks and a game of pool etc and much cheaper beer prices than what is found on the other side.

Not a regular visitor, just a few times over the last years, but found out, that if the owner Alex isn't around the service, the food, supplies aren't as usual.

No, wasn't in Rung's today, unfortunately there are a lot of us Paul's around. Where you in Rhung tip last night, I was there and there where a lot of farangs there. I counted I think 10 tables in use the most I've ever seen there.

If you did see me I'm hard too miss at 6 foot and 130Kilos which would make 286 of your American lbs in other words quite large :o

No. We ate at home last night.

We need to start wearing a "Dark Sider" patch or something, since none of us seem to meet anywhere! :D