Marriage visa requirements

Hi, Can someboby please clarify for me the best way to get an appropiate visa to enable me to work legally. I am married to a Thai so could presumably get a 12 month visa on this basis, is that correct? If so can u tell me what documentation I would need & any financial requirements.  I am currently working as a teacher on a tourist visa so very anxious to resolve my visa situation so I can get a work permit. Could the school provide the appropiate letter to get a non immigrant B visa as an alternative? Is anything else required for the B visa?  Also it would be convenient for me to go to Phonm Penh for the visa but would appreciate advice too as to whether it would be better to go somewhere else. Ideally I would like a multiple entry visa, can u get a m.e. marriage visa ? Thanks for help as presently somewhat confused. Baa Baa.

Kiwi Jack,

I can only tell you what i have obtained from the ministry of foriegn affairs website, as i am on my way back to thailand on sat, and will be getting married on august 10th. First of all your mariage must be registered with the thai government. You can obtain an O visa for support of a thai family in country at thai immigation. You would have to take your wife, passport, wifes id card and mariage certificate to immigration and apply for an o visa. This is good for 90 days. Once you get the O visa you can apply for a one yr extension. You would have to put 250,000 bht in a thai bank account, and get a letter from the bank tht the money came from outside of thailand, preferably your home country. Once you get the extension you will need to report your address to immigration every 90 days. According to what has been published in the news papers the visa fees, and extension fees are increasing effective august 26, 2003 from 5500 bht to approximately 105,000 bht. And in 2004 you will have to have 400,000 bht in the bank. You are able to use the money during the year, but must transfer additional funds upon renual to make up the difference.

According to what has been published in the news papers the visa fees, and extension fees are increasing effective august 26, 2003 from 5500 bht to approximately 105,000 bht.

I am sure glad I don't read THAT newspaper!  ???

Hey Husker, Thanks for info tho the imminent costs are frightening, makes u wonder if they really want us here & from now on we will all have to ensure that our work contracts stipulate that the employer pays all visa fees ( dreaming ).  At least it seems I dont have to leave the country to get the O visa afterall. But the B visa sounds like a cheaper approach so can anyone respond to the query as to whether a letter of appointment and/or a contract from  a govt school is sufficient to get me a B visa as Ive seen suggestions that teaching doesnt fall under the ambits of business. Would appreciate any clarification or advice anyone can give me especially other teachers & how they got it all sorted. Thanks.  Have a happy life Husker, with the new wife, mine sure is.

Lopburi3,

OK i'll be exact 5000 BHT for the visa, and 95,700 BHT to extend. this is for a THAI mariage. total 100,700 BHT.

I'm sorry i was off a few thousand baht. At these prices doesn't really make a difference.

OK i'll be exact 5000 BHT for the visa, and 95,700 BHT to extend. this is for a THAI mariage

And that is total crap.   :o

A visa extension is currently 500 baht and if the new rates go into effect will change to 1,900 baht per year.  There is no visa fee once you start extensions.

You are thinking of a PR permit for a lifetime, not a yearly extension.

Thank u Lopburi for the clarification. Perhaps u could address the questions re the Non B visa. At present I am pursuing advice that may well assist many others if correct & will advise outcome here. Meanwhile experiences are preferable so would appreciate any info.