Farms/farming In Thailand

pattayarob

Hi All

I am thinking of looking into the possibility of buying a farm for a Thai friend in Issan.

In the future I would like a house built on this farm for me to live in when I retire.

Would this be possible? I have no intention of ever wanting to work on the farm.

As anyone got any clues as to where I would start to gather information whilst I am in the UK ready for my return to Thailand.

Cheers!

The beautiful tomatoes I grew only got 10 B per kilo. (I think it was the time of year). So I said Screw this bs. THe money is not worth the investment in time and work. Raising pigs is the way to go! Because of this chicken flu thing, the price of pork is high! Of course, anywhere you go everyone will know you are a pig farmer. men maak!

Finding people who want to sell some farm land is easy, as long as you know someone in Issan. The word will spread quickly that a farlang wants to buy farm land and the offers will come rolling in. They usually will want to charge 2-5 times it's actual value. There is a LOT of land in Issan that floods during the rainy season, so it is best to inspect the land at that time. Otherwise, you may have to pay for a lot of landfill, especially if you want to build a house.

Oh Yeah- Don't forget to make sure that the person you buy land from actually ownes the land. Soome people may THINK they own the land, but it is actually government land or the land of another family. Land title deeds are non-existant in many villages and that only adds to the confusion. THe gov is slow at handing out deeds, but at least they are starting to.