Residents Of 15 Provinces Warned Of Storms, Hails

george

Residents of 15 provinces warned of storms, hails

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Department Monday warned residents of 15 provinces to brace themselves for possible tropical and hail storms.

In its daily forecast issued at 4 am, the department said the storms could happen in Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Mahasarakham, Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Saraburi, Lop Buri, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao and Chanthaburi.

It explained that the storms would be caused by a high pressure mass over the Northeast and eastern part of the North.

-- The Nation 2008-03-24

Warning

The ridge of moderate high pressure system from China has extended to cover northeastern Thailand and eastern side of the North while hot weather occurs over the country. Isolated thunderstorms, gust and hail are likely in the upper part.

People in following areas should beware of severe weather during this period. Provinces include Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Saraburi, Lop Buri, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao and Chanthaburi.

--Thai Meteorological Department 2008-03-24

Thank Christ it's only MODERATE high pressure. Imagine the consequences.

Have just returned from Khao Yai and had a hail shower there on Wed that lasted 15/20 mins with hail the size of cherries that could have caused serious injury if we had been on the golf course at the time instead of in the bar watching !!

There are 3 links in the following pinned topics of the Isaan forum, courtesy of Jai Dee.

There are also several other pinned links for reference not only in the Isaan forum, but in all forums, as a rule, for members to refer to on FAQ,s and for general references.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98301

This is offered as advice and in no way is meant to be otherwise or indeed, in no way take away the appreciation of links already provided in this thread.

If i may, i,d like to offer and remind members of these most helpful facilities when like me, you want to know about something related to the subject matter of a vast array of subjects.

marshbags :D:o

P.S.

Wherever you are, take care and stay in doors if you can in the areas of concern as they can, as many of us know, come on pretty quick and are unpredictable. :D

Edited by marshbags

This link might be of use to those up there today.

This is really good stuff, Cuban! Thanks for sharing this website.

Amen. Thanks from me too. (there are over 1000 folks reading this thread)

Great link - thanks!

May I also add a big "Thank You" to "Cuban" :D as now it saves me going on CNN to find the forcast for Kan and true, the forcast today was for "thunder shower" and I got caught in one coming back to Bangkok today mid-day in Tha Ruea in Kan. Was quite heavy and all.

:D cuban i live in hotttttt kanchanaburi and thanks for the weather like

Did the rains reach you in Sai Yok?? Gramps? today. Was a really bad one in Kan last Friday evening, :D worst I have seen for a year or two.

Kan Win :D

P.S. "grandpa-m" :o to :D

Can someone who knows more about weather than I do answer a question?

Why is it that in the U.S. high pressure systems bring sunny pleasant weather and lows are associated with storms, etc. Here in S.E. Asia it is high pressure systems that are responsible for the bad weather?

Can anyone explain in simple terms?

A friend in Buririam called me this morning to say they'd had very strong winds yesterday (Sunday) morning. She'd lost the roof off her house. Many others had similar problems or worse. including whole houses being destroyed. Later on Sunday night there were storms with rain and ice(!) (hail). Considering what she and her children had been through she was very philosophical as her friends were so much worse off. (And no she did not ask for any Baht).

That is a great site, TY Cuban..

Brilliant how all provinces are available.

I have for years been using "Wunderground", it is brilliant, just type in the local airport code....

BKK for Bankok, HKT for Phuket , LAX for Los Angeles.

City names are acceptable as well, just airport codes are easier if known.

This is for Phuket, well worth saving.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findwe...ecast?query=hkt

Click and have a looksee, so much more info about the place you are looking at.

Edited by Zpete

Severe hailstorm hit Lomsak on Sunday and blew down the cowshed. Nobody injured. Will rebuild in steel and brick when sheltering from the madness of Songkran in Pattaya. In the circumstances regard Thai weather warnings as relevant as the Police.

Can someone who knows more about weather than I do answer a question?

Why is it that in the U.S. high pressure systems bring sunny pleasant weather and lows are associated with storms, etc. Here in S.E. Asia it is high pressure systems that are responsible for the bad weather?

Can anyone explain in simple terms?

Actually high pressure doesn't bring rain, but brings cool weather in the Northern (Eastern) Thailand especially during winter and summer seasons (November, December, January, February, March and April), thus this high pressure with cooler air meets very hot and humid air from the Southern parts of Thailand. As a result thunderstorms are developing at the border of these 2 systems of air. During Winter the border is in the Southern Thailand with frequent thunderstorms, and during March and April the border of this systems is going upper, Central, Northern (Eastern parts), causing well known thunderstorms during this time which can bring hail in the north. During the Rainy season (May, June, July, August, September, first half of October) things are changing where the monsoon is established. During this time Low pressure is predominant with hot and humid air causing frequent thunderstorms, but without hail.

I tried to explain in a plain English. I hope you will understand, if not, you are welcome to ask more :o

:o cuban i live in hotttttt kanchanaburi and thanks for the weather like

Hi Deartongue.gif

I live in Kancha (Tabsila)too. Three years ago we had a hailstorm that led to a downwash from the mountains that collapsed two walls, flattened two of my storage huts, hit holes in the roof. Some roads were hours unpassablemad.gif. But don't you worry if you live in Amper muang you only get swept away when the dam of the Srinakarin- reservoir breaks due to an earthquake.

Good night Didi biggrin.gif