Forced Tip

Interman

I was wondering if it is leagal to force a tip in Thailand.

I was given a bill with a 10% service charge. If there is a service charge, shouldnt it be a fixed price? Other wise its a forced tip.

YES, Im a cheap ass. I live on a Thai salary.

A 10% service charge is common in many countries worlwide and in some there's an additional 5%, or so, government tax.

A service charge can be viewed as a mandatory tip but it is, as far as I know, not illegal. Provided the price list states all prices subject to service charge it is then down to how much you dislike the practice whether you eat there or not. It is generally taken that at such establishments tipping is not necessary but often the money goes to the owners and not the staff.

Very often you will see the price listed with + + after indicating plus service charge plus tax. In Malaysia where it is 10% and 5% I just got used to mentally adding up the bill and adding 15% but I almost never left a tip.

I was wondering if it is leagal to force a tip in Thailand.

I was given a bill with a 10% service charge. If there is a service charge, shouldnt it be a fixed price? Other wise its a forced tip.

YES, Im a cheap ass. I live on a Thai salary.

:o and I thought my friend was a tight ass

if it was on the menu when you ordered that there would be a service charge added, this was part of the contract entered into when you ordered the food.

And every single time I can recall, this is indeed the case.

So....yes, if you don't want to pay it, don't order the food (which is why I don't generally eat at hotels or American chain restuarants where the service charge and VAT are added on).

I too am paid Thai wages....10% on a Fuji bill should not be a killer....10% eating at the Fireplace Grill could be a bit more serious!

Why go to Fuji at all? I don't like the place all that much myself.

But if you are low on the bahts, and save up for a "fun" night with the family, there is no harm in going to some place special and blow the bonus money etc. If the OP decided on Fuji, so be it, that is his choice and his bonus money.

I hope the OP had a good time along with his party members.

On a side note. I once had a waiter give me the bill with a message written across it...."Suggested Tip Amount XXX $" I blew a gasket on that. It was not the fact that I "should" theoritically give a tip, it was the idea that the waiter had the bA-lls enough to tell me what I should pay him!

For that he got zero.

its true the service charge does get divided up at a later point for more than just the waiter.

if you're ever at a bar or restaurant and recieve particularly good service and want to reward the server, it is best to leave the loose coins in the folder and hand a 20, 50, or 100 to the waitstaff personally. if placed in thier hand as opposed to the ubiquitous billfold, they can keep it themselves without sharing...

Service charges are always a bit questionable and one never knows if it actually goes to the service staff or is just a way to make their prices seem more competitive. I tried the new Dukes at the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai and was surprised to see a 10% service charge on my bill (and the fish & chips were lame).

When hit with a service charge, I am usually at a loss about what to do. If I do not tip because of the forced charge and the establishment keeps it, the unfortunate staff ends up getting stiffed. If I do pay a tip and the service charge is shared, I have paid too much. And I think asking is useless - the owner will always say it is distributed among the staff and the staff will be too nervous about their jobs to tell you otherwise.

Just my own opinion but I would rather skip the 'service charge' joints and decide what tip is appropriate for service given. I am normally quite generous but not when the service is terrible and the staff untrained.

Edited by Dustoff

Service charges are always a bit questionable and one never knows if it actually goes to the service staff or is just a way to make their prices seem more competitive. I tried the new Dukes at the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai and was surprised to see a 10% service charge on my bill (and the fish & chips were lame).

When hit with a service charge, I am usually at a loss about what to do. If I do not tip because of the forced charge and the establishment keeps it, the unfortunate staff ends up getting stiffed. If I do pay a tip and the service charge is shared, I have paid too much. And I think asking is useless - the owner will always say it is distributed among the staff and the staff will be too nervous about their jobs to tell you otherwise.

Just my own opinion but I would rather skip the 'service charge' joints and decide what tip is appropriate for service given. I am normally quite generous but not when the service is terrible and the staff untrained.

All valid points,

Im happy to hear that the service charge does indeed get to employees.

All valid points,

Im happy to hear that the service charge does indeed get to employees.

At the end of the day who gets the money its up to boss and staff, the important thing is it's come out of your pocket.

:D well luckily for the OP .. he can always eat at roadside noodle stalls!

A rather foolish suggestion. Are you aware of how much contaminants end up in those foods as a result of the passing cars pollution ? :o

To the OP. Learn to cook as much food as you can, and save by going to the cheap, clean restaurants. Once in a while go to a decent restaurant if you want but accept the service charge and if you dine in, give a small tip - happily.

A rather foolish suggestion. Are you aware of how much contaminants end up in those foods as a result of the passing cars pollution ? :o

To the OP. Learn to cook as much food as you can, and save by going to the cheap, clean restaurants. Once in a while go to a decent restaurant if you want but accept the service charge and if you dine in, give a small tip - happily.

LOL .. congrats on not posting about your sister or the airport or steroids :D .. and congrats also on making another silly post :D

I am aware some people aren't bright enough to screw in a lightbulb, but not eating street vendor food because of 'passing cars'? LOL You mean those same 'contaminants' you are breathing in anyways? The ones you are absorbing through your skin? WOW

:D Life is good :D

A 10% service charge is common in many countries worlwide and in some there's an additional 5%, or so, government tax.

A service charge can be viewed as a mandatory tip but it is, as far as I know, not illegal. Provided the price list states all prices subject to service charge it is then down to how much you dislike the practice whether you eat there or not. It is generally taken that at such establishments tipping is not necessary but often the money goes to the owners and not the staff.

Very often you will see the price listed with + + after indicating plus service charge plus tax. In Malaysia where it is 10% and 5% I just got used to mentally adding up the bill and adding 15% but I almost never left a tip.

PhilHarries is correct here, the term is "plus, plus" or ++ on the menu. That means VAT and service charge on top of what you are paying.

I've always hated this, just add it into the price, I hate thinking in my mind I'm paying one price and then the bill shows up with 17%added on.

Also, the staff does not always get the service charges. I know for a fact that at one establishment the company keeps half for their own and then splits the 5% amongst the staff. Seems there should be laws on the books regarding this..............10% service charge yet the establishment gets 5%?????..........

A rather foolish suggestion. Are you aware of how much contaminants end up in those foods as a result of the passing cars pollution ? :D

LOL .. congrats on not posting about your sister or the airport or steroids :D .. and congrats also on making another silly post :D

I am aware some people aren't bright enough to screw in a lightbulb, but not eating street vendor food because of 'passing cars'? LOL You mean those same 'contaminants' you are breathing in anyways? The ones you are absorbing through your skin? WOW

The food on the roadside stands are exposed to high levels of contaminants for long periods of time. Yes, exactly the same ones that traffic policemen die from, similar exposure times too. And exactly the same contaminants that are the suspected cause of Bangkokians overall lower IQ.

I suspect you are a victim of your own recommendation :o

LOL .. congrats on not posting about your sister or the airport or steroids :o .. and congrats also on making another silly post :D

:D congrats on not making another silly heterophobic motivated post ! LOL :D

Seems there should be laws on the books regarding this..............10% service charge yet the establishment gets 5%?????..........

Sure, that is the establishment charging you for the service. I guess they only include food costs, cook costs, profit and other things into the price of their dishes, but they want to charge separately for the service person to take your order and bring you your food.

A rather foolish suggestion. Are you aware of how much contaminants end up in those foods as a result of the passing cars pollution ? :D

The food on the roadside stands are exposed to high levels of contaminants for long periods of time. Yes, exactly the same ones that traffic policemen die from, similar exposure times too. And exactly the same contaminants that are the suspected cause of Bangkokians overall lower IQ.

I suspect you are a victim of your own recommendation :o

LOL ... similar exposure times? I sure hope my food wasn't out in a streetvendor stall for 10+ hours a day/6days a week for 15-20 years!

as for BKK people having a lower IQ .. cite your source!

heterophobic? LOL nah I just don't like trolls!

Off point and if you consider all the wars that have been started by mankind in just the last century the US started far less than the other players.

By the way I am anti war and a combat vet... :D

Pepe, I don't think it's off topic. If the US wouldn't have started the Iraq war, the country would have been in a lot better shape, financially, and would also have been a lot more respected by the rest of the world; and the topic is about WW Economic Depression and the financial <deleted> started in the US, spreading like a disease... :D

A lot of people forget that the US NEVER had an international war on their own soil...it always happened elsewhere. It's also sad and dramatic that a high amount of fine young US soldiers have died now already in Iraq...4.000. Spoiled lives..and for WHAT ?

Don't forget: the whole world was lied upon by the Administration... :o

OK, rant over; not your fault.

LaoPo

Hi OP, How much money are we talking about?

A 100 Bath?

Or less?

And please stop the comments about the war, it has nothing to do with this.

LOL ... similar exposure times? I sure hope my food wasn't out in a streetvendor stall for 10+ hours a day/6days a week for 15-20 years!

555 ... you obviously aren't aware of the effects of cumulative poisoning!

as for BKK people having a lower IQ .. cite your source!

please?

BKK post or the Nation. At an average of 2 points in a global study if I remember correctly, attributed to the pollution. No, I am not going to run around to find the article for you - do it yourself please.

heterophobic? LOL nah I just don't like trolls!

LOL... You deny and assume a lot.

:o

anyhow, the point of all this is although the OP seems to want to save money, the suggestion of eating at roadside food stalls is not really the solution, at least in terms of his health.

Uh? Okay, I sort of get your point :o , but I think that if you lived in Thailand you may find yourself using roadside vendors quite frequently.

As you have suggested that you know what contaminants end up in these foods, and to what level, would you be kind enough to cite a source of this research?

Thankyou.

Uh? Okay, I sort of get your point :o , but I think that if you lived in Thailand you may find yourself using roadside vendors quite frequently.

As you have suggested that you know what contaminants end up in these foods, and to what level, would you be kind enough to cite a source of this research?

Thankyou.

Me first! I am waiting on him to cite a source on the IQ rubbish!

Im hazarding a guess that you get the trots from streetfood due to the fact they wash up with filthy water thats enough scientific info you need to know there are contaminents, though i prefer eating at street restaurants as im cheap.

I dont know if the 10% tip is illegal but id be pretty sure that if you asked the waiter/ress to take it off the bill they wouldnt have the authority to. Its a rippoff any its best to avoid such places if you can IMO.

Edited by howtoescape

Im hazarding a guess that you get the trots from streetfood due to the fact they wash up with filthy water, though i prefer eating at street restaurants as im cheap.

I dont know if the 10% tip is illegal but id be pretty sure that if you asked the waiter/ress to take it off the bill they wouldnt have the authority to. Its a rippoff any its best to avoid such places if you can IMO.

Have you ever actually spent any time in Thailand?

^^^^^ Was in transit on my way to Singapore many years ago. Why enlighten me as to why washing dishes in dirty water wouldnt potentially be bad for you, or why i believe that service staff arent allowed to think for themsleves is incorrect Thai expert.

If you can confirm that they are willing to take away the 10% service charge from the bill i am happy to admit im wrong, though i would never ask as im not that cheap, can you confirm this.

Edited by howtoescape