Curriculum For The Igcse Exams

Hi All,

I have been tasked by the school that I teach at to review the curriculum for Mattayom students wishing to take the IGCSE exams.

I have done a bit of googling without much luck.

Does anybody have any ideas where I would most likely find any useful information.

Many Thanks

Peter

If my memory serves me correctly, then try:

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/acade.../igcse/subjects

http://www.edexcel-international.org/home/

You might also want to have a look at this website for a school in Rome. If you click on a subject in the centre of the screen, you'll be taken to an outline of that subject and have the option to then click on the syllabus (as detailed by CIE and EdExcel):

http://www.newschoolrome.com/html/gcse.html

If you've got specific questions, I'd suggest e-mailing the exam boards directly. They're usually quite helpful.

HTH

:o

The CIE website is very useful and has the full curriculum there. Given the amount of overlap between the IGCSE curriculum an the lower mathyom curriculum it would seem reasonable just to follow the international curriculum and dump the vague Thai 'standards'. Then at least theachers have a good guide of whatto teach and students would be well prepared for external, internationally recognised exams. The students are obviously aware that if they can pass (at a C level), 5 of these exams, they can go to a Thai university (as this is considered the equivalent of the M6 certificate). I know of a few 16 y.o students who did this (skipped m5-6).

• 3 years later...

For A levels there are 2 parts - AS level in the first year and A2 level in the second year

In the old days, I don't recall haveing a AS. 2 years after O level, I took A level.

Q1 Can my child complete his/her A level in one sitting (rather than split into 2)? I.e. Take the AS and A2 paper at the same time?

Q2 Will 3 good A level be good enough (like the old days), or do good universities now need 3 A level + 1 AS as a requirement?

In the old days, I don't recall haveing a AS. 2 years after O level, I took A level.

Q1 Can my child complete his/her A level in one sitting (rather than split into 2)? I.e. Take the AS and A2 paper at the same time?

Q2 Will 3 good A level be good enough (like the old days), or do good universities now need 3 A level + 1 AS as a requirement?

AS and A2 was brought in in 2000 under that nice Mr Blair. It would be extremely difficult to take the AS and A2 at the same time if your child had not covered the curriculum for each fully.

However, they are modular, ie there are two modules for each AS and 2 modules for each A2, each of which is assessed by an exam or by coursework. Modules can be taken - and retaken - in January and May/June of each year.

3 good A levels (AS+A2) will suffice for 'good' universities, but it is done on UCAS points for each level and subject. Some unis accept General Studies, some don't.

• Like 1

Hi GCE "A" level teacher in Thailand.

What are the main text books recommed or used in your school for:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Maths

Further Maths

I am trying to self coach my child for the exams parallel to his regular Mathayom schooling. I did A level almost 30 years ago, and my old text book is very very outdated. Eg. Nelkon & Parker A level physic 4th ed, Bostock & Chandler Core Course, Further Pure Maths & Applied Maths