Golf Near Korat

bartmag

I'am looking to have a round, stay at course hotel then have a round next day. Probably near the end of April, relax after the Songkran celebrations, or possible before they begin.

Not willing to pay the Kirimaya prices so was looking for a recommendation.

Rooks Korat is the nearest to our home, NongKi, i think so, is favourite at the moment, any views ??

I was looking at Mission Hills as well but the reviews i found from 2006 said it was very run down and full of Koreans, any change since ??

Anyway, open to any suggestions, youre the experts. I have never played in Thailand so wherever i play iam sure will be an experience not to forget.

Also the week starting 19th April will be looking for a game in Pattaya. Whats the quietest course, best for high handicappers who dont want to hold up play on a busy course.

Finally, what is the situation with single players, i will be on my own. I presume a quiet course would let me go around alone but if it is busy i would be paired up with another single or group.

Cheers in advance !!

I'am looking to have a round, stay at course hotel then have a round next day. Probably near the end of April, relax after the Songkran celebrations, or possible before they begin.

Rooks Korat is the nearest to our home, NongKi, i think so, is favourite at the moment, any views ??

I was looking at Mission Hills as well but the reviews i found from 2006 said it was very run down and full of Koreans, any change since ??

Anyway, open to any suggestions, youre the experts. I have never played in Thailand so wherever i play iam sure will be an experience not to forget.

Also the week starting 19th April will be looking for a game in Pattaya. Whats the quietest course, best for high handicappers who dont want to hold up play on a busy course.

Finally, what is the situation with single players, i will be on my own. I presume a quiet course would let me go around alone but if it is busy i would be paired up with another single or group.

Cheers in advance !!

I don't understand your question? Are you stating you live in Nong Khai but want to play golf in Korat?

Cheers in advance !!

I don't understand your question? Are you stating you live in Nong Khai but want to play golf in Korat?

No, NongKi near Nang Rong, not NongKai

Perhaps this report from a recent 3 day trip to the area may help:-

Couple of notes to fill you in.

1) Mission Hills was in great shape, but played very easy (even I got a net 60!!)

2) Sir James was tough ..... bl**dy tough, and destroyed us all. Not for the high handicap golfer, and probably not for anyone over 20. Needed to hit long off the tee (2 x 180 yd carries required), and also a couple 2nd/3rd shots required a 150 yd plus carry (providing you got close with your lay up).

3) Voyage Panorama ..... cheapest of the lot and fairways could do with some attention, but the greens were fantastic ....plenty of problems, but ALL in perfect condition. Very fast (like sh*t off a shovel), but true. If you got the read and speed right you holed it.

Hotel was acceptable (not even any complaints from Ian who is used to staying at the "posh" end of the market). Breakfast was better than most in Thailand, only downside was that the pool was being cleaned and could not be used.

Night porter arranged massage etc;

Packchong was "QUIET" as expected with only the 4 or 5 Karaoke bars (50 girls) in the one Soi.

Thai resturant on day 1 excellent

Nightclub, small, modern, dancers on platforms, big TV in courtyard.

Texas Steakhouse "passable" (I think I'll pass it next time) ..... but to be fair it was OK for a steakhouse in a small town.

Pizza House not bad, but no better than any other pizza place.

Hotel resturant did excellent snacks in a lovelly setting by the stream, but didn't get to have a complete meal there.

Bar opposite small entertainment Soi was reasonable. Plenty of room and a couple of guys playing music.

A - Bar:- Modern bar with big screen TV outside, but very uncomfortable stools around all the tables. Looked like they were geared up for a large influx of people later in the evening if the amount of glasses/towers they had ready was anything to go by !! (possible freelance pick up place !!)

Sport bar:- Looked new, modern, good pool table, MU tv on big screen, draft Leo available.

Reckie complete ...... wouldn't mind going again to play in a small group, but I don't think the area would support a large farang influx, so wouldn't recommend it as a CM venue.

Perhaps this report from a recent 3 day trip to the area may help:-

Couple of notes to fill you in.

1) Mission Hills was in great shape, but played very easy (even I got a net 60!!)

2) Sir James was tough ..... bl**dy tough, and destroyed us all. Not for the high handicap golfer, and probably not for anyone over 20. Needed to hit long off the tee (2 x 180 yd carries required), and also a couple 2nd/3rd shots required a 150 yd plus carry (providing you got close with your lay up).

3) Voyage Panorama ..... cheapest of the lot and fairways could do with some attention, but the greens were fantastic ....plenty of problems, but ALL in perfect condition. Very fast (like sh*t off a shovel), but true. If you got the read and speed right you holed it.

Hotel was acceptable (not even any complaints from Ian who is used to staying at the "posh" end of the market). Breakfast was better than most in Thailand, only downside was that the pool was being cleaned and could not be used.

Night porter arranged massage etc;

Packchong was "QUIET" as expected with only the 4 or 5 Karaoke bars (50 girls) in the one Soi.

Thai resturant on day 1 excellent

Nightclub, small, modern, dancers on platforms, big TV in courtyard.

Texas Steakhouse "passable" (I think I'll pass it next time) ..... but to be fair it was OK for a steakhouse in a small town.

Pizza House not bad, but no better than any other pizza place.

Hotel resturant did excellent snacks in a lovelly setting by the stream, but didn't get to have a complete meal there.

Bar opposite small entertainment Soi was reasonable. Plenty of room and a couple of guys playing music.

A - Bar:- Modern bar with big screen TV outside, but very uncomfortable stools around all the tables. Looked like they were geared up for a large influx of people later in the evening if the amount of glasses/towers they had ready was anything to go by !! (possible freelance pick up place !!)

Sport bar:- Looked new, modern, good pool table, MU tv on big screen, draft Leo available.

Reckie complete ...... wouldn't mind going again to play in a small group, but I don't think the area would support a large farang influx, so wouldn't recommend it as a CM venue.

Cheers for that Statt.

Looks like a confidence booster around Mission Hills could be on the cards, only started playing last summer (had 7 rounds) and my best score is 102. On the other hand if i play it and dont break my 100 duck it could totally shatter any illusions i have of ever being able to play this bloody frustrating game.

Hotel and area sounded spot on until i read the MU tv on big screen (LOL)

Thanks for the excellent report Statt.

Just a heads-up regarding Kirimaya. Whilst I know it's in a different price bracket from the other courses in the area, they are doing some good stay/play packages at the moment which brings it down a bit. I'm staying there this weekend at 8000++/night for two nights including unlimited green fees (we usually manage two rounds with ease), breakfast and one dinner included (the restaurant there is excellent). From memory, golf packages start at around 6000++.

• 2 weeks later...
Still prefer to play ROOKS.

There is also a Army or Airforce Golfclub not to far away (10km)from Rooks.

9holes ,easy and enjoyable round, played there last year .

SURANEE is the name.

http://www.thaigolfer.com/courses/course.phtml?id=141

I was just checking through the Korat area sites on Thaigolfer.com and both of these were listed as charging two-tier pricing. It sure sounded expensive compared to when I played in the area in 2001. I almost choked when I say Kirimaya--it was empty and in bad shape when I played it.

Does anyone know if there is a course in the area that has a reasonable annual membership plan? I'm not talking about a full-equity membership although I'm open to that possibility. I'm thinking more like the daily-fee courses in the U.S. where you can get unlimited play for a set amount. I hope to play a lot when I retire (target date 2014)!!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately i have to report that i have still never played golf in Thailand.

The wife simply trusts no Thai woman with her husband, or does she not trust her husband with any thai woman :o , and when she was told that the courses have female caddies, well it was a total non starter.

Ah well, maybe next year !!!

Still prefer to play ROOKS.

There is also a Army or Airforce Golfclub not to far away (10km)from Rooks.

9holes ,easy and enjoyable round, played there last year .

SURANEE is the name.

http://www.thaigolfer.com/courses/course.phtml?id=141

I was just checking through the Korat area sites on Thaigolfer.com and both of these were listed as charging two-tier pricing. It sure sounded expensive compared to when I played in the area in 2001. I almost choked when I say Kirimaya--it was empty and in bad shape when I played it.

Does anyone know if there is a course in the area that has a reasonable annual membership plan? I'm not talking about a full-equity membership although I'm open to that possibility. I'm thinking more like the daily-fee courses in the U.S. where you can get unlimited play for a set amount. I hope to play a lot when I retire (target date 2014)!!

Thanks!

There was an artical in todays paper..Nation or extra..can't remember which but look at web site issan-life.com or contact tom at issan-life.com

Edited by John45

• 2 weeks later...

One to watch out for in the future for the region:

www.toscanavalley.com

It's about 7km past Kirimaya (coming from the main Pak Chong-Khao Yai road). Drove past it the other day (we're building a house about 5km further down the road) and it looks stunning - at least the bit they've finished does. Expect Kirimaya type costs though I'd presume.

No idea when it's due to open, but I feel it would be churlish not to play it once it's ready and provide feedback to other TV members. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if the post is not relevant anymore, but I would stay at the hotel at Sir James and play there once (technically in Saraburi, but on the Khorat border, albeit 120kms from the town of Khorat), then play the course at Mission Hills (about 20km away) then play Kirimaya... all very different and in the week, should be pretty empty.

• 3 weeks later...
Near Korat there are 4 golf courses: Suranaree (Army), 9 holes and dual pricing, Rooks, 18 holes and dual pricing, Tiger (Airforce), 9 holes and no dual pricing, Voyage, 18 holes and no dual pricing

The dual pricing at Suranaree (Army) has been eliminated (well at least for now).