Water Saving Measures For This Years Drought.

phutoie2

Just heard on the Soi speakers commencing from from 1st-April the mains water will be on from

5-11am & 4 - 10pm only. Emergency measures required to save dwindling supply apparently.

Stocking up for Songkran!

I live in (South) Petchabun province, small town. Unusual weather blowing through for this time of year, hail/rain and very windy yesterday, quite a storm!.

Article in yesterday's Post about annual drought hitting farmers in Roy Et hard already too.

Always boggles my mind how a "tropical" country like Thailand suffers annual droughts and every year we see terrible flooding too and all that excess water just flows out to sea!!!

as a gesture of solidarity, i have made the desicion to put coke in my whisky instead of water, sacrifices must be made for the common good.

Hear hear...good man!

I shall be joining you by adding Heineken ice cubes into my Heinekens' to assist in this most important of environmentally-sensitive situations.

as a gesture of solidarity, i have made the desicion to put coke in my whisky instead of water, sacrifices must be made for the common good.

Hear hear...good man!

I shall be joining you by adding Heineken ice cubes into my Heinekens' to assist in this most important of environmentally-sensitive situations.

Don't forget "Save water..........shower with a friend" :D

Or friends. :D:o

I don't know where to start, so perhaps at the beginning?

Thailand has for many years neglected to develop the water (and probably electricity) infrastructure in step with the massive industry, tourism and housing developments. Especially as seen on the eastern seaboard (Chonburi/Rayong). There is enough water in the country, but in wrong places at wrong times.

We are now rapidly approaching some possibly severe water shortages, and when asked to save water, we get some sickeningly stupid and lame responses. It is not even remotely funny, and I would like to see some of these posters stuck in a place with no water for an extended period of time. But they would probably not miss their twice daily shower anyway...

I know we can't compare, but in dry periods in my home country, it is illegal (I kid you not) to water your garden with a hose (you can use a handheld watering device), and also to wash your car. And it is enforced, and effectivly so, because if you cheat, you neighbour will remind you gently about the ban, and if you do not comply pronto, you will be fined (heavily) within a couple of days.

I am quite naive, but not so much that I think the same could be applied here in Thailand. But perhaps we could, instead of making lame "jokes" about it, offer some ways to reduce our huge water consumption, to help us all through a tough period. And please, I do not need to hear "Thais don't care, so why should we?" sort of utterings.

I will start:

Don't wash your car, it can go for months without a wash. Mine do all year round.

Spend only 2 minutes in the shower, you will be as clean as with a 10 minute shower. Promise!

Water the garden less, grass will recover quickly when the water is back, even if very yellow and dry. This should also apply to the City Council; if in a drought, do not water the central divide on Sukhumvit. And if you insist, at least do not do it mid day, but early morning or late evening...

If it gets more serious, do not refill your pool, but let it just slowly evaporate. You can refill it when water is plentyful. Even better, use the pool water for flushing the toilets (and only after every second visit).

OK, I leave it for you guys to add your suggestions. I think the next poster just bursting to add his suggestions is our environmental Guru, the one and only Naam, and hey what an appropriate name! The floor is all yours Mr. Naam (btw what happened to the Doctorate, was it revoked by any chance?)

Edit: Some will claim that the Songkran water throwing is a cause of water shortages. As much as I dislike the mayhem in April, I do not think the revellers could be capable of making even a tiny blip on the scale. We are talking about massive industrial estates, huge hotels and resorts, and great new housing developments. And all of these are "super-users" of water... Just try mentally in your head to compare the amount of water gushing through the huge bore supply pipes and pumps, to what comes out of John and Somchai's water guns during a few days in April. So Songkran has to be excused (unfortunately, but perhaps sweetchariot has some alternative ways to save water?)

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

1. OK, I leave it for you guys to add your suggestions. I think the next poster just bursting to add his suggestions is our environmental Guru, the one and only Naam, and hey what an appropriate name!

2. The floor is all yours Mr. Naam (btw what happened to the Doctorate, was it revoked by any chance?)

1. there's not too much to say on water saving except that it depends on the conscience of each person to use water in a reasonable way when there's a shortage.

2. last time i checked my passport when i was travelling out (three weeks ago) the Dr. (which is a part of my family name according to the laws of my home country) was not crossed out. as far as the forum is concerned the Dr. was removed because i asked for it.

3. i don't have any suggestions and draw anybody's attention to what i said in "point 1".

4. my (not so) humble opinion is that the overwhelming majority of water consumers cares a d@mn when asked to save water.

5. any other questions? :o

Thank you Doctor, that was just brilliant. I have no more questions.

Now over to the great unwashed (excuse the pun) to come with their suggestions. I know it is a hard act to follow after our Dr. Naam, but please try anyway.

OK guys, the fun is over, I was just trying to put a lighthearted twist on a serious topic, indeed potentially very serious in the next few years in our area. And Naam took the challenge, well done.

Some people say, if the city supply runs dry, I just call Somchai with his water truck. Problem solved. Not. Or I just drill a well, problem solved. Not. When you compete with the big factories, hotels and resorts for the water, who do you think is going to win? You and Somchai with his little truck? You and your tiny well that has been sucked dry already by other and bigger "suckers"?

I do not want to appear holier-than-thou, just trying to put a bit of awareness out there. Many of us are big water consumers, myself included, with big houses, pools and gardens. Nothing wrong with that as such (in our view of course), but we also do have some responsibility. To help with energy conservation, resourse usage, waste disposal and related issues. Because we are resourceful people. We do have both the knowledge and the means to do something.

Now the floor is open. Let us have it, flamers, jokers and the others.

To say Songkran doesn't add to the problems is understating it somewhat. It strikes me as rather ironic that during the driest period of the year, when water shortages are discussed year in year out, that we throw away as much as possible during that week. Most bars have hosepipes running on full for about 8 hours per day to keep their barrels, buckets, iceboxes etc topped up during Songkran, in Pattaya alone this must run into millions upon millions of gallons.

But we are never going to change it, so may as well join in and enjoy the party. My contribution this year will be to only drink beer during Songkran, so as not to add to the needless waste of water.

Moi, a Songkran apologist? Never.

Of course a lot of water is wasted during Songkran, but in the big scheme of things, it is not the real culprit of our long term shortages. I hate to say it, but it is true. It is a mere symbol of wastage, and if I can add an off-topic sour remark, a symbol of a beautiful old custom gone terribly wrong. (Note to self: shut up now and get on with it!!!)

I am getting a sort of out-of-body experience, defending Songkran water use against sweetchariot. What is going on in the world? What will be next? EDIT: I know, I shall take up smoking 40 a day again!

The only-drink-beer-brigade is huge, and I am truly impressed by their dedication. If only they could tell me the percentage of water in beer...

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

<br />Article in yesterday's Post about annual drought hitting farmers in Roy Et hard already too.<br /><br />Always boggles my mind how a "tropical" country like Thailand suffers annual droughts and every year we see terrible flooding too and all that excess water just flows out to sea!!!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Its called total lack of foresight and its ok they always have the money to build another temple......... oooohhhhh look at the shiny temple bahhhhhhh who needs to drink! Be more use if they sealed the doors took the roof off and waited.

Did you know it takes 2-9 litres of water to make 1 litre of Coke!! Depends who you believe http://mondediplo.com/2005/03/14india

So you can stop drinking Coke and probably many other soft drinks. I love the stuff.

Im sure nothing will happen here until its absolutely desperate, I know lets blame global warming theres a good one.

Politicians here really couldnt give 2 figs but then again I suspect most of the population dont either you only have to look at the state of the country to see it, rubbish everywhere no lack of thought in virtually everything from driving to even basic thinking planning control etc . Compound it all with many lazy people with minimal education. I like the way the laziest just park where they fancy leaving the handbrake off must be good for pregnant women who need to shift it, even though there are many empty spaces but not near the doors.

Im sure the "go home we love Thailand" mob can wade in with some crap now go ahead.

I wonder how much water is wasted with their crazy 9+litre toilets too. If only you could turn dogs into water there'd be no problems at all!

The list is endless.

<br />spasticated,<br /><br />Thanks a lot for those insightful observations. I take it this is only a warm-up for your real contribution?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Its not exactly "rocket salad" as they say is it, but obviously this is "western thinking" and wont apply here.

1 All houses to have gutters fitted and water collected for whatever purpose, flushing the bog, watering garden etc

2 Proper dual flush bogs 6 litres maximum

3 showers only no baths

4 Kazilllions spent on dams and long distance pipelines

5 No Songkran ever again

6 Mass education from junior school onwards

7 Pressure testing of all underground pipework joints before burial

8 no spitting

9 turn the tap off

10 charge for water the same as gas/ petrol

or.................... shall we build a new temple, with a water feature of course!!

spasticated,

There is still hope for you for sure. I do not think, believe or put forward that we shall save the planet, or Thailand for that matter. I am busy saving Bangkok, because that is what it says on my Foodland grocery carrying nets. I would feel better if I could save Payttaya, since that is my city. But what the heck, I shall save whatever city that I can.

<br />spasticated,<br /><br />There is still hope for you for sure. I do not think, believe or put forward that we shall save the planet, or Thailand for that matter. I am busy saving Bangkok, because that is what it says on my Foodland grocery carrying nets. I would feel better if I could save Payttaya, since that is my city. But what the heck, I shall save whatever city that I can.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sorry to dissapoint you but humans are extremely selfish many Thais seem to excel at it.

1. OK, I leave it for you guys to add your suggestions. I think the next poster just bursting to add his suggestions is our environmental Guru, the one and only Naam, and hey what an appropriate name!

2. The floor is all yours Mr. Naam (btw what happened to the Doctorate, was it revoked by any chance?)

1. there's not too much to say on water saving except that it depends on the conscience of each person to use water in a reasonable way when there's a shortage.

2. last time i checked my passport when i was travelling out (three weeks ago) the Dr. (which is a part of my family name according to the laws of my home country) was not crossed out. as far as the forum is concerned the Dr. was removed because i asked for it.

3. i don't have any suggestions and draw anybody's attention to what i said in "point 1".

4. my (not so) humble opinion is that the overwhelming majority of water consumers cares a d@mn when asked to save water.

5. any other questions? :o

---------------------

Did they remove anything else when they removed the DR... :D