Death Sentences In Thailand

paulgfox

I am a Production Cameraman for a TV Station in Hawaii (besides being a firefighter). We have been running reports about the recent fareng shooting in Chiang Mai. It is big news here since the fareng killed is from here. Our newscasters have been reporting that the Australian fareng who shot him might get the Death Sentence. Thailand being a Buddhist country I don't think they have a Death Sentence anymore. Can someone set the record straight for me, "Does Thailand have a Death Sentence these days?"

Thanks,

Paul "Dang" Fox

Training Liaison Officer / Asst. Chief of Training

Hickam Emer. Services / Changpuak Fire Dept.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Production Cameraman for a TV Station in Hawaii (besides being a firefighter). We have been running reports about the recent fareng shooting in Chiang Mai. It is big news here since the fareng killed is from here. Our newscasters have been reporting that the Australian fareng who shot him might get the Death Sentence. Thailand being a Buddhist country I don't think they have a Death Sentence anymore. Can someone set the record straight for me, "Does Thailand have a Death Sentence these days?"

Thanks,

Paul "Dang" Fox

Training Liaison Officer / Asst. Chief of Training

Hickam Emer. Services / Changpuak Fire Dept.

Thailand retains the death penalty ( lethal injection ) thus far no westerner has been executed ( certainly not in modern times )

Why is this big news there, all kinds of Farangs get killed here all the time. Just had a woman tourist killed and raped in Phuket, had a Thai cop kill another Farang and shoot his female Farang friend. etc , etc.. There is a death penalty here, but I don't know to what extend they enforce it other than for drugs. They killed 2,500 people for that in extrajudicial style, and a couple of weeks ago announced this next war on drugs will cost about 4,000 lives. So I guess its alive and well.

I would caution members to consider their replies to all persons professing, truly or otherwise, to being journalists.

As another website I subscribe to states:

''As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.''

"Does Thailand have a Death Sentence these days?"

Yes, but if the murderer confesses and is cooperative, then they commute it to life in prison.

And even if they are not, there have been no executions for five or six years. Like most of the rest of the world, they have lost their appetite for judicial killings. That leaves only barbarian countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, China, and the US using the death penalty regularly. Others - Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Jamaica etc - use it infrequently.

And even if they are not, there have been no executions for five or six years. Like most of the rest of the world, they have lost their appetite for judicial killings. That leaves only barbarian countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, China, and the US using the death penalty regularly. Others - Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Jamaica etc - use it infrequently.

I don’t think they lost their appetite – I think they just got impatient. Now they just skip the trial and kill them before the arrest. Haven’t ya heard the war on drugs is to kick back into action next week – the coppers will probably be busy all weekend cleaning their guns in preparation.

Yes, but if the murderer confesses and is cooperative, then they commute it to life in prison.

You are a bit behind the times Bendix. Singapore, Malaysia and Japan still swing 'em, and Vietnam shoot 'em.

Killing 2,500 people without a trial or investigation, could be considered a death sentence for all of them, I would think. Announcing that there will be 4,000 killed soon, in part 2 of the war on drugs, could be considered that many more death sentences. It's just that the names will be forthcoming at a later date.

Why don't you really just list the US as having the death penalty? That is what you want to do here, slam the US. Don't try to hide it. Listing the US with countries like that, why don't you just say the US sucks? If you are going to bash the US, why not do it outright.

As for me, I have no problem with the death penalty. If someone came to your home, tied you up, raped your daughter and wife, killed them in front of you, fed you their blood, then went on to do this to 10 other families before they are caught, what would you want? Maybe probation for the guy, maybe some treatment? Afterall he is just misunderstood. For me, I would gladly put the needle in myself.

If it is very clear that the person is guilty. Not just by eyewitness evidence, but with more evidence, then I say they have forfeited they right to live.

I am from Seattle, we seem to get a lot of serial killers there. First we had Ted Bundy, and then we had Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer). I used to play in the area where he dumped some of the bodies, and I drove down the road where they found several bodies every day on the way to work. This guy killed 50+ women. He is now in prison for life. If you ask me, he should have been shot on the spot.

I don’t think they lost their appetite – I think they just got impatient. Now they just skip the trial and kill them before the arrest. Haven’t ya heard the war on drugs is to kick back into action next week – the coppers will probably be busy all weekend cleaning their guns in preparation.

Thats right , in fact the local policemen in my Ampuh , recently are practising

a lot more then average at their shooting fields .

I can tell you that the last time there were people killed in straight daylight

in our Ampuh , its just horrifying , hope it will be not as severe crackdown as last time .

I guess I do not consider the US a "barbarian" country. Takes a lot more to make a barbarian country than having the death penalty. To say that the US should be considered a barbarian country like Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Iran is just a slam on the US.

The U.S SHOULD be listed with those countries as we are talking about the death penality here and not how "the U.S sucks".

Nah it was just Bender trying to wind people up and succeeding.

Executions are known to have been carried out in the following 25 countries in 2006:

Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Uganda, the United States of America, Vietnam, Yemen.[6]

Singapore --- that Bender listed as using it infrequently is the country with the HIGHEST Cap Punishment rate per capita!

Takes a lot more to make a barbarian country than having the death penalty

Thats true but we are talking about the death penalty here.

If you want to talk about other things then U.S foreign policy seems rather barbarian to me anyhow....

Executions are known to have been carried out in the following 25 countries in 2006:

Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Uganda, the United States of America, Vietnam, Yemen.[6]

Strange how the U.S is the only western country on that list though.

Singapore does appear to have the highest rate per capita and when you take into account the low crime rate.......

China supposedly has executed up to 8000 people in 2006 while "official" figures only show 1000.

Please do not go off topic. The original poster of this topic asked whether Thailand still retains the death penalty, and any information related to that is still welcome - the question itself has been answered but further info can be provided.

Thaivisa is a website for subjects related to Thailand. To discuss US (and other countries') foreign policies, please refer to websites set up for that purpose.

Thank you.

As for me, I have no problem with the death penalty. If someone came to your home, tied you up, raped your daughter and wife, killed them in front of you, fed you their blood, then went on to do this to 10 other families before they are caught, what would you want? Maybe probation for the guy, maybe some treatment? Afterall he is just misunderstood. For me, I would gladly put the needle in myself.

If it is very clear that the person is guilty. Not just by eyewitness evidence, but with more evidence, then I say they have forfeited their right to live.

No matter how PC and fashionable it is to disagree with you, only an idiot or a peabrain would do so. :o

I wouldn't give him the death penalty because personally I don't think it's much of a punishment. Better to stick them in a jail where they can get rapped and beaten every day. Unfortunately though it seems these guys get let out before their time these days and some countries prisons are more like holiday camps than real prisons.

Edited by madjbs

I wouldn't give him the death penalty because personally I don't think it's much of a punishment. Better to stick them in a jail where they can get rapped and beaten every day. Unfortunately though it seems these guys get let out before their time these days and some countries prisons are more like holiday camps than real prisons.

So, this isn't getting back on track, so why not? You think it is barbaric to have the death penalty but forcible rapes and beatings are OK? :o Wow I am impressed!

If it is very clear that the person is guilty. Not just by eyewitness evidence, but with more evidence, then I say they have forfeited their right to live.

No matter how PC and fashionable it is to disagree with you, only an idiot or a peabrain would do so. :o

fools, pea brains, and idiots such as i rush in where others fear to tread.

a person such as that described would, even in my book, no longer be considered worthy of life.

however, many, many people... go look up the facts yourself... have been convicted and condemned to death who were later determined to be innocent.

let me repeat that word. innocent. like a baby.

yet they were condemned to death by a system that isn't now, nor likely ever to be, perfect.

so the state and by extension you, who advocate for the death penalty, are willing to kill to avenge your anger those who may be no more guilty of the crime than you.

and that is more scary than your imaginary criminal.

Edited by altman

And pardon from The peeeeeeeepppppp...

So it is a civilisated country after all. Peeeeeeeeepp.

Why is this big news there, all kinds of Farangs get killed here all the time. Just had a woman tourist killed and raped in Phuket, had a Thai cop kill another Farang and shoot his female Farang friend. etc , etc.. There is a death penalty here, but I don't know to what extend they enforce it other than for drugs. They killed 2,500 people for that in extrajudicial style, and a couple of weeks ago announced this next war on drugs will cost about 4,000 lives. So I guess its alive and well.

If you desided living here.

Wake up.

Welcome to the jungle.

Yes, Thailand still has the death sentence, however it is rarely carry out, UNLESS it is the extra Jud kind, as when there was a Major crack down on Drug dealers/Traffickers back in early 2005 or 06(??) :D:o:D

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????