Death Sentences In Thailand

paulgfox

So, this isn't getting back on track, so why not? You think it is barbaric to have the death penalty but forcible rapes and beatings are OK? :o Wow I am impressed!

Why do you need to take my comments out of context, it's just a straw man argument. I was commenting on this imaginary situation

If someone came to your home, tied you up, raped your daughter and wife, killed them in front of you, fed you their blood, then went on to do this to 10 other families before they are caught, what would you want?

If that happened to my family then yes personally I wouldn't care what happened to him, thats a completely different subject to what the government should be allowed to sanction though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the thai guy who murdered 2 russian women on jomtien beach was given the death sentence and it was carried out.also the woman murdered in khosamui by 2 fishermen,they got the death sentence and was carried out.

You're wrong. They were sentenced to death, but they havent been executed.

And even if they are not, there have been no executions for five or six years. Like most of the rest of the world, they have lost their appetite for judicial killings. That leaves only barbarian countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, China, and the US using the death penalty regularly. Others - Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Jamaica etc - use it infrequently.

Why don't you really just list the US as having the death penalty? That is what you want to do here, slam the US. Don't try to hide it. Listing the US with countries like that, why don't you just say the US sucks? If you are going to bash the US, why not do it outright.

Bit touchy aren't you? I listed the US alongside the other four countries because statistically those countries carry out executions much more frequently than any other nation. They are the big five executors. And, yes, it's barbaric.

PS . it's hard to debate intellectually with someone who uses the phrase "whydont you just say the US sucks".

Edited by bendix

As in previous years, the vast majority of executions worldwide were carried out in a small handful of countries. In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in six countries: China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/death-penalty/de...cutions-in-2006

An admirable list of enlightened countries. What's that phrase about being judged by the company one keeps? Sudan should be ashamed of itself :o

I wouldn't give him the death penalty because personally I don't think it's much of a punishment. Better to stick them in a jail where they can get rapped and beaten every day. Unfortunately though it seems these guys get let out before their time these days and some countries prisons are more like holiday camps than real prisons.

It's against the law to rape and to beat people. To condone it makes you a sick individual, who gets enjoyment from others doing it. Therefore you are just as guilty as the criminals you claim to dislike, and are a criminal yourself because these acts are against the law.

I wouldn't give him the death penalty because personally I don't think it's much of a punishment. Better to stick them in a jail where they can get rapped and beaten every day. Unfortunately though it seems these guys get let out before their time these days and some countries prisons are more like holiday camps than real prisons.

It's against the law to rape and to beat people. To condone it makes you a sick individual, who gets enjoyment from others doing it. Therefore you are just as guilty as the criminals you claim to dislike, and are a criminal yourself because these acts are against the law.

advocating for lifetime incarceration does not make one a 'criminal' nor does it imply acceptance of the act/behavior. it does, however, indicate an open mind.

perhaps you would like to rephrase your response ... ?

I thought the thai guy who murdered 2 russian women on jomtien beach was given the death sentence and it was carried out.also the woman murdered in khosamui by 2 fishermen,they got the death sentence and was carried out.

You're wrong. They were sentenced to death, but they havent been executed.

The later had their sentences commuted to life.

Seriously, it would be interesting to hear the figures re: capital punishment in Thailand. Are there any published figures by year? I think Thailand used to use capital punishment relatively infrequently, I saw a figure of 500 executions (single executioner, using a machine gun) 1937 - 2003, when they switched to lethal injection. But haven't found any recent figures.

I did find a figure of 53 - 56 executions in the U.S.A. in 2006, and 42 in 2007. Singapore is weird, they are proud of having and using executions but they are secretive about the total number of executions. I think the official figure for 2003 was 10, but the retired PM said it was 70 - 80 in an interview, which was later recanted. The former executioner said in an interview he once hanged 18 people in one day!

When I become "GOD", I will be able to decide who dies & who lives.

In the meantime, the Death Penalty is nothing but a barbaric waste of time.

To those who say, "If someone came to your home, tied you up, raped your daughter and wife, killed them in front of you, fed you their blood, then went on to do this to 10 other families before they are caught, what would you want?", how does the death penalty help? Oops! I almost forgot. It doesn't help anything or anyone except for the "FEELINGS" of the living. This is nothing less than REVENGE. And revenge NEVER changes the past. It will, however, have a drastic effect upon the future.

Sadly, Thailand has not abolished this useless law (the death penalty has NEVER prevented bad people from doing bad things).

To those who say, "If someone came to your home, tied you up, raped your daughter and wife, killed them in front of you, fed you their blood, then went on to do this to 10 other families before they are caught, what would you want?", how does the death penalty help? Oops! I almost forgot. It doesn't help anything or anyone except for the "FEELINGS" of the living. This is nothing less than REVENGE. And revenge NEVER changes the past. It will, however, have a drastic effect upon the future.

WRONG!

It keeps the worthless scumbags from raping and killing anyone else, ever again including prison guards, staff or other prisoners. :o

WRONG!

It keeps the worthless scumbags from raping and killing anyone else, ever again including prison guards, staff or other prisoners. :o

Even though this topic has been discussed ad infinitum previously & this thread appears to be going "off topic", I will reply to your redundant remark.

You are correct in saying that, "It keeps the worthless scumbags from raping and killing anyone else". Of course, they are dead so they can't re-offend.

On the other hand, if the message about "break the law & you will be killed" is so effective, why are there 6 scumbags ready to replace the 1 scumbag who has been murdered by the government?

Your logic is extremely flawed since this method does not work.

And even if they are not, there have been no executions for five or six years. Like most of the rest of the world, they have lost their appetite for judicial killings. That leaves only barbarian countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, China, and the US using the death penalty regularly. Others - Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Jamaica etc - use it infrequently.

I don’t think they lost their appetite – I think they just got impatient. Now they just skip the trial and kill them before the arrest. Haven’t ya heard the war on drugs is to kick back into action next week – the coppers will probably be busy all weekend cleaning their guns in preparation.

I don't think it was just drug dealers either if I'm not mistaken rumor was that politicians and business men were giving names of supposed drug dealers inside a fat envelope to the police, just a coincidence that the names happen to be political rivals or competitors.

WRONG!

It keeps the worthless scumbags from raping and killing anyone else, ever again including prison guards, staff or other prisoners. :D

Even though this topic has been discussed ad infinitum previously & this thread appears to be going "off topic", I will reply to your redundant remark.

You are correct in saying that, "It keeps the worthless scumbags from raping and killing anyone else". Of course, they are dead so they can't re-offend.

On the other hand, if the message about "break the law & you will be killed" is so effective, why are there 6 scumbags ready to replace the 1 scumbag who has been murdered by the government?

Your logic is extremely flawed since this method does not work.

6 scumbags bother other people less than 7 scumbags and no scumbags is even better.

It is your "logic" that doesn't work. :o

Thailand may commute some of the death sentenses but they still can and do apply it. The comparasion between other countries is kind of misrepresented by some people. The last I heard, the death penalty is set by state in the USA. 'The Last Executioner' is a good read about the application of the death penalty in Thailand prior to death by injection.

advocating for lifetime incarceration does not make one a 'criminal' nor does it imply acceptance of the act/behavior. it does, however, indicate an open mind.

perhaps you would like to rephrase your response ... ?

Why does advocating for lifetime incarceration indicate an "open mind"? Perhaps a more open mind would be to have an option between the death penalty and lifetime incarceration and allow a jury of the offender's peers to make the final decision....Perhaps you would like to rephrase your response.....

Edited by farang prince

Thailand may commute some of the death sentenses but they still can and do apply it. The comparasion between other countries is kind of misrepresented by some people. The last I heard, the death penalty is set by state in the USA. 'The Last Executioner' is a good read about the application of the death penalty in Thailand prior to death by injection.

I don't think anyone has been put to death by lethal injection in Thailand yet.

I remember the last very visible executions( 3 criminals) in Thaksin's era, around 2003, their walk to the execution chamber was filmed live on TV( not Thai Visa though), but they were shot.

Edited by bannork

I don't think anyone has been put to death by lethal injection in Thailand yet.

I remember the last very visible executions( 3 criminals) in Thaksin's era, around 2003, their walk to the execution chamber was filmed live on TV( not Thai Visa though), but they were shot.

There was talk of putting a webcam in the shiney new injection chamber? :o

6 scumbags bother other people less than 7 scumbags and no scumbags is even better.

logically the end result of this line of thinking is one person (you) left since any other person might be a scum bag. (at some point, in some manner, in some place, under some condition)

i just don't think we have evolved yet to the point where we are capable of making the decision to take a life to save a life.

and, when we do reach that point, i think we will have found better options for dealing with those who can not adapt to society without hurting others.

There is a web page under the government prisons site, which outlines the official position. A couple of things to note, the most recent executions were in 2004 {4} and that the text makes mention of the moratorium, which occurred for about 8 years finishing in the mid '90s.

The 2001 executions were witnessed by foreign journalists including the BBC: report

Regards

Death Penalty Page

Edited by A_Traveller

Unfortunately they do. Fortunately the person who get the requests for pardons mostly loses the applications what means that most sentences are not carried out. Do not be surprised however that in the next weeks the show starts again. The war on drugs will start again, what means that they will carry out a few death sentences to show the world that they are serious. One big show , as the big guys are seldom caught and lots of small people cannot afford an lawyer. if you take your time and go to the court you will see that it is a kind of bingo there. You will never know what number (sentence) will come out of the sack. Twenty or thirty years will be as common as a few months for the same crime.

I guess I do not consider the US a "barbarian" country. Takes a lot more to make a barbarian country than having the death penalty. To say that the US should be considered a barbarian country like Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Iran is just a slam on the US.

jstumbo

you sound like a one eye person that can see no wrong

usa is barbarick as that is the way people are treated there they have the dearh sentence and people suport it

but as a person that visits that country and when i was lost was dragged from the car and throwen to the ground with a gun in my head

and when it was all over and it settled down I asked whitch way I had to go I was told that he wasnt a f,,,,,en road map and drove of with out so much as kiss my ass

if it such a good place why leave it

dont be one eyed

I would caution members to consider their replies to all persons professing, truly or otherwise, to being journalists.

As another website I subscribe to states:

''As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.''

And how would this help. The same guy could have asked the same questions and not have said that he was a journalist.

It would have resulted in the same replies as the OP has received in this thread.

He could have said he was doing a thesis on the death penalty and still have been a journalist.

What I'm saying is that he could have said that he was a candlestick maker, still have got the same answers (and still have been a journalist)

Edited by john b good

logically the end result of this line of thinking is one person (you) left since any other person might be a scum bag. (at some point, in some manner, in some place, under some condition)

You think that most people want to rape and murder and kill. I think that most people want to live and let live. No wonder you think that we are not "evolved" enough to put society's parasites, sex-criminals and predators to sleep where they can't bother the rest of us.

Executions are known to have been carried out in the following 25 countries in 2006:

Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Uganda, the United States of America, Vietnam, Yemen.[6]

Strange how the U.S is the only western country on that list though.

Singapore does appear to have the highest rate per capita and when you take into account the low crime rate.......

China supposedly has executed up to 8000 people in 2006 while "official" figures only show 1000.

How do you calculate the rate per capita in the US when only 37 of the fifty staes have the death paenalty? I would think the rate per capita counting only those 37 states is much higher.