Visiting Your Homeland

taxexile

i have recently returned for a visit to england, after 9 months in thailand.

after the happiness of seeing family and friends after a long absence i am overcome with a sadness at being back in the uk.

london seems a joyless place, where the business of "living" seems to be made as inconvenient as possible. the streets seem to be full of scrotum faced geriatrics, in grim shapeless clothes, shuffling along with heads held low, not daring to make eye contact with other passers by.

"young "people only seem to come out at night in order to get drunk and be obnoxious. public transport is unreliable and expensive, the purchase of everything and anything is incredibly expensive. most people seem to speak in eastern european languages. cars cannot be parked and restrictions seem to be imposed on most activities. laughter and freedom of spirit are in short supply. aggression in manners and behaviour is all too evident.

the newspapers are full of depressing stories about crime, hospital blunders,iraqi bombs, the huge increases in politicians pensions and the latest c-list celebrity to have had breast enlargement surgery.

i am now back in my native yorkshire and somewhat uplifted by the fresh weather, the autumn colours and the magnificent scenery.

hopefully this will be a short visit and we will be back in thailand before long.

i would be interested to know how others feel when visiting their homeland after time away.

Spend a day at Whitby,grab a big bag of Fish and Chips avec "les mushies"then spend some quiet "sit down" time on the dock watching the fishing boats doing what they have been doing for the last 500 years. :o

Then head over to one of the local boozers and down a couple or four of decent ales as the sun goes down and you can imagine that you are on the beech at Bang Saen having ....that dont sound rite???

Never mind it will get thee back tit normal lad....enjoy while you can.

I will be up fur tis weekend :D

I am going back to Aust in November for a two week visit (my daughter has never seen her Aussie family), the first time in nearly two years.

I am not really looking forward to it, but will be happy to see my family (my 56 years young mother is now in a wheelchair :o ).

Give me two months and I can answer this question too!

But, I already feel nervous and worried for my wife as there are no somtam ladies roaming the streets.

The one thing that stood out for me when I spent a month at home last year was the calm and relaxing flow of traffic. And my first night back, some drunk took a swing at me for stealing my cab from him. 3 years in Los and not one confrontation. When I hit the two week mark, I was itching to get back to the island (Phuket). It solidified for me that Los is home.

i like to tell you that every else but nt in the western world is life nice

iam always happy to goback to my places of travel and business

phoom rak phrateep thailand

Recently back to my hometown in Aussie for a few weeks. One thing i really missed was the clean air, the lack of traffic, firing up a woodheater instead of A/C and ,of course family and friends. Landing at Tullaramine late at night i had to wait for a connecting flight in the morning . A bunch of filthy bogans wandering the aiport hassling people made me realize how civil Thais can be.

Oh well, also loved taking the tarp of my second wife(the torrie) giving her a good clean and polish and causing mayhem on the mean streets of Hobart Town :D Great to be back 'home' though :o

You go for a short holiday to Europe, stopping over back home in Holland for just two days, and having to traipse around Expensive EuroLand to see family, after a year, and call your brother,

ME: "Hi Bro, guess who´s back?! Let´s have Lunch tomorrow?"

BRO: "Oh, Hi Kayo! Are you in Europe! That´s great, haven´t seen you for ages... Uhh, tomorrow...(rustling of pages of a filofax)...I´m playing golf tomorrow with some clients, sorry."

ME: "Aww well, that´s too bad. How about dinner in the evening?"

BRO: "My girlfriends parents are coming over tomorrow night."

One starts to get a little tiny bit bothered,

ME: "Well, when is good for you?"

He says, amidst more audible rustling of pages, "I think I´m free on the twenty-second."

... I didn´t see him for another two years, until recently. For an hour.

Above is a nearly word perfect true story. He´s a great guy, but so caught up in his schedule. My point is it often seems like many people are like that there.

Here, most of the time you can just go with the flow.

We still get things done, but we live as we do them.

´

It´s always nice to see family and friends again

but I think taxexile said it best when (s)he opened this thread:

"after the happiness of seeing family and friends after a long absence i am overcome with a sadness at being back in the (name your country)."

I forgot the point of living back home.

Great Britain, as it was, 'Great', but not any more, laural & Hardy has seen to this and all the other <deleted> in the Government, when you get to Heathrow it depresses me, a right bloody shambles, last time i flew in went through fast track, British Passport, they have now put desks in there for returning brits, the que was amazing about 200 people, got to the desk and a guy in a turban asked me where i was coming from and how long have i been away, i told him, i had been to the moon and could not get a flight back for some time and it was none of his bloody business, so he typed the barcode into computer and gave me the passport back, the Mrs & the kids were waiting for me and they went through immigration.

Then no trolleys, miles to walk with two screaming kids, got to the baggage, no baggage, the belts had broken down, two hours later on the way out, lift broken, only one working, any how my mate picked me up in my Mercedes, and down the M4 we went, stopped at the services, my one little girl wanted a bottle of water, small bottle £1.95 that really pissed me off, so cannot wait to get out of this rip off country and get back to the land of smiles, it is now getting depressing :o dark mornings, raining and everybody walking around looking like they have lost a dime, once i have sold my Business i will be going for good. you may wonder who i was refering to as laural & Hardy. its not hard to work out............. :D

Everytime I return to dear ol' Blighty, I am happier than ever that I don't live there.

And everytime I do go back, all my friends and family are more and more depressed about the place. It seems to get worse and worse as time progresses.

Thailand may not be perfect, but I'm a heck of a lot happier here.

I've been back to the UK four times in 6.5 years, mainly to take care of my property. So, I've had work to do and the days went by quickly. Great to see family and friends Best was last summer. There for two months and the first week, temps were higher in London than Bangkok. Had two weeks with the folks on an island off the West coast of Scotland - brought back childhood memories and it was my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary whilst there. Had a great time. Met old schoolfriends - one of whom took a couple of days off work to fly down from Scotland to see the farang.

Have also been back in the winter. when it rains and the wind's howling, everything and everyone is miserable. Prices skyhigh. Nothing seems to be on time or working. General pessimism everywhere.

Still, always good to get back to los and my house on the coast in Hua Hin and, of course, the long time g/f.

I recently returned to Montreal to see my mom, it had been about 2 1/2 years since my last visit.

So I indulged in some things that I associate with backhome. I ate some Montreal bagels, smoked-meat, sugar pie and poutine, I went shopping on Ste-Catherine street, I sat on a terrasse in Old-Montreal and people watched. I went to Rougemont to get some apples.

Although it was the first week of September, it was 10 degrees in the morning. :D

I dont care for cold weather much.

(and it is worse in the winter, I especially despise slush. :o )

I love Montreal, but I don't call it home anymore.

After over 5 years in Asia, I don't see myself living in Canada now.

I miss family and friends but I don't really miss the place. Not that Montreal is a bad place, quite the opposite, it's just that I enjoy living in Nakhon for the moment.

Who knows where I will be next year. :D

Funny, I guess that is the difference between people who move here to live here and people who live here without planning to. I live here because my husband is here, we have thought of moving back to the US from time to time but the expense of starting over again usually changes our minds.

I go home to visit my family every year. My dad is retired so he has plenty of time for me, my mom still works but makes sure to take holiday time when I am back. My sister is swamped with her own business but we still manage to spend quite a bit of time together (she gets offended if I don't stay with her at least over the weekend :o ). My nephews and niece and I always get together at least once during the month, despite the fact that they have school and jobs. I get together with old friends at least once during the month. I enjoy walking around being anonymous for a change , not having to haggle over prices with people who don't know me, and not hearing "taxi, taxi" everywhere I go by people who can't be bothered to learn that I have lived here longer than they have. I enjoy my mom's dishwasher and jacuzzi tub. I enjoy going to the store and being able to buy anything. I love window shopping without being followed around. I always enjoy my stay, I suppose living there could be a different kettle of fish altogether (and I would think that had more to do with jobs than anything else) but I have found to take life as it comes and enjoy something each day.

But then, it is always nice to come back and be a well-known person, have everybody ask me how long I was gone, how are my parents etc. It's nice that the weather is warm (but then I only go home in the summer anyway), the air is humid (my parents live in a really dry climate), and the life is slower. And the best part is coming back to my husband whom I always miss very much :D

I have spent almost 20 years out of the last 30 working away from the UK and I do like to go back to Blighty. I do relly enjoy myself there. Having been to some of the sh1ttier places on earth it is great to get back and enjoy some of the things of my youth.

Am I just a sentimental old fool? :o

After living in the LoS for 10 years I came back to live in Edinburgh last year...had to come back really due to medical issues. At first I thought we'd only last a couple of weeks...my wife is Thai and like someone mentioned earlier I reckoned she'd start to miss her som-tam pretty quick...we've been back 18 months now and she can get baraa and unripe papaya from the local Thai supermarket so that's probably why we're still here eh...positive things - actually I can't really think of any and the negatives - well people have already mentioned most of them in this thread...so after that summing up - jeez I WANNA GO BACK!!! :o PLLEEEAAASSSE SAVE MEEEE SUMBODY!!!

A few random thoughts ...

I've spent most of the last several years working abroad in many different locales around the globe. I've only had a few days in the states over the last 16 months or so, and just got back from a short trip there.

The biggest differences that I see are:

1) The drivers. In the US, the drivers pretty much go where ever they want at what ever speed they want. On the main highways, this is a real pain in the butt. Whereas in places like the UK, Germany and Japan, where I've spent a lot of time, the drivers know how to drive (e.g., keep up their speed and stay in the proper lane for their speed and action).

2) The food. When it comes to food, the US just looks like one big fast food joint. After sampling many of the world's cuisines, with a particular fondness for Thai food, it's really hard to look at places like TGIF's, Pizza Hut, etc., much less think about going in.

3) Rude behavior. I've been to many places in the world where I've been treated great and treated badly. This includes the US as well. But during this last trip home, I just seemed to get a quick fill of people being pushy, loud and obnoxious, and so on. In many other places, people seem to have better manners and are much more polite.

4) Materialism. Don't get me wrong, I like nice stuff as much as the next person. But it is not my sole focus in life. In the US, I sense that it is much more so to many people. Contrast this with people I know in Thailand, who may not have much in the way of material things, but they treat me as well as or better than anything. In other words, they may not have much, but they willingly share what they have.

I'm not down on the states by any means. I still like to go there, and there are many great places and people to visit.

But living abroad for so long has really altered my perspective, and also what I will and won't tolerate, what is and isn't important, etc. I'm an American at heart but I don't necessarily think or view things as the "average" American any more.

Last time that I went back to England it was after living in my wife's village for 18 months. Arrived back in my home town in the evening and I quickly headed to the chippy and ordered Steak & Kidney Pie, Chips, Beans and Gravy.

Bloody 'ell, I only got half way through the meal and I was absolutely bloated. It took a while to get used to not eating Thai sized meals. Also when receiving my change I accidentally thanked Johnny (the chip shop owner) by saying 'Khoop Khun Maak Khap', although thankfully he didn't notice my slip.

A few days after returning I had an interview with a 'Careers Officer' who asked me what kind of work I was seeking. I replied something like "Any work is ok. I just want make BIGS money". Luckily I noticed my mistake and was able to explain to the officer why I was speaking like a 4 year old. :o

Sometimes it's just hard to switch off the Thai influences.

I left Scotland 10 years ago and never looked back. Most of my family still live there. I lived in England for about 4 years before up and leaving to Oz. Lived there for a year and then back to London for another year or so. After that i then went to live in Nz for a year. Had the chance to get sponsored to stay. But was a bit bored with Nz/. Went to Thailand on the way back to Uk. Stayed in Thai for a month and fell in love with the place. Decided to come back. Everywhere i went there were signs saying. TEACH ENGLISH! So decided to give it a go. And i'm still here after 3 years. Though i had to go back to Uk for about 6 months to sort something out. I have no desire to return and live in Scotland or even the Uk. When i do leave Thai it will be to Oz for a few years to keep my residence right. At least if you go back to your own country for a holiday or even 6 months. You can always say that you are leaving again. These people you meet after not seeing them for years. Ask. "What you been up to?" So you start to tell them exactly what you have done in the 10 years since you've seen them. And they are like. F###! I 'd love to do that. Well i say go and f###### do it. Its not hard. Their reply is. You know what its like? No i dont mate . I've done it. Your not married and you dont have kifds. You have a good paying job. If you want to do it. Then F###### well do it. No excuses.Wherever you come from. Us, NZ, Oz, Uk ort wherever. You will always be that nationality. Doesnt mean we gotta like it there.

Interesting thread. Insightful contrasting commentary as to home and LOS I think.

My two bites on the subject.

Over the last 26 years I have grown comfortable having a little of both worlds. We have for years felt comfortable with visits of 4 to 6 month in LOS and the States. A little ying and a little yang as they say.

But to us, it was these contrasting, yet balancing, worlds of an aggressive, competitive, let it rip states and the laid back, friendly beauty of the LOS and its people that seem the most positive, invigorating and refreshing to us.

Just as our blood begins to heat up and the hectic, aggressive speed of light tempo of the states starts to get to us, we are off to our homes sometimes in the green mists of the north and or to the bright beaches of the south. With, of course, resupply foray’s to places like Chiang Mai, BKK and occasionally Singapore for a taste of the bright lights.

I have even grown to love, that’s a little strong, let’s say, accept, the heat and even the things that so many Farang complain about. (Police, visas, traffic, pollution ect) as well as equally appreciate even the “Botox inspired” culture and pace in the states.

But as with everything in Mother Nature’s realm I have learned to respect the consequence if I don’t understand my limits in dealing with the environment I am in.

That is all!

I spent 5 months in Thailand and now 5 months in the US (I have ticket in hand for return to Thailand.

One thing I like in the US is the traffic seem's to flow better or be more orderly.

The Go Go or sstripper bars are much better, but not as good as Canada.

In general I find it depressing, the country seem's to be going to pot, the women are fat. The new's they are dishing out is unbeliveable ie a basketball player was accused of rapeing a lady about a year ago, this merits what seem's like at least an hour a day every day on CNN. John Kerry and George Bush's military service from 30 some years ago is being dragged through the new's continuously.

I do find the people friendly, but it is hard to get good service. Everything seem's to be so money orientated.

I'll try Thailand again, for the winter and maybe I'll hang my hat there.

FWIW Jim

I've just returned from a visit to the UK for the first time in 5 years to attend my daughter's wedding. It was great to see my kids, family and friends but other than that I can think of little else to encourage a further visit. I am now attempting to persuade them to visit me instead.

:o

I've just returned from a visit to the UK for the first time in 5 years to attend my daughter's wedding. It was great to see my kids, family and friends but other than that I can think of little else to encourage a further visit. I am now attempting to persuade them to visit me instead.

:o

A yorkie ploy for sure :D

I have just arrived in the U.S. after nine months in Thailand. I don't have any particulary intense emotions.

I noticed the following differences:

1. The air is cleaner in the U.S.

2. Streets and traffic are more organized.

3. Farangs in Thailand seem to brag more. They seem to want to tell me all of their accomplishments immediately. I think that I hear more heroic claims per capita among Farangs in Thailand than in the U.S.

4. People seem less friendly in the U.S., but more sincere.

5. A casual interaction with a cashier in Thailand is generally much more pleasant than a casual interaction with a cashier in the U.S.

6. I have a lower level of anxiety in the U.S. because I feel I understand my rights. I feel I belong here. I don't have to worry about carrying a passport, etc.

7. Things are more expensive in the U.S. It is difficult to avoid spending quickly.

8. When I buy something in the U.S., I have a greater chance of getting what I want, but it is more expensive. In Thailand, it is cheaper, but I might have to buy the same thing three times before I get what I want.

I will enjoy my time here. But, I will look forward to coming back to Thailand next month.

-q