Importing A Mg From Uk

My friend from UK has just arrived in Phuket to live here. He has a 1972 MG sports in the UK which is the love of his life! He would love to import it to Thailand. Has anyone done the same? I have heard that is very expensive with import tax etc. to import cars here. If anyone has any advice we would like very much to hear from you. If this is the wrong forum for this artical I do apologise.

According to our resident import agent, you cannot import a used car. (TV to Raro !!!!)

The rules are a little weird and wonderful, now ain't that a surprise? It seems that importing a new vehicle is relatively straight forward, a number of businesses do it on a regular basis, look at the Bangkok Post for exotic cars and you will find a better range at the "parallel importers" than the registered dealers.

For some reason you cannot import a used vehicle, you can get one into the country, but it has to leave the country within 12 months. Raro was explaining this to Bazmb over a few beers one evening, and I was more interested in the beer than the importing of some piece of ... (Bazmb's pride and joy still rusting Oz).

The getting of the licence for the car the challenge, even if you import enough spare parts to build your dream machine.

Now where is Raro to to make this make as much sense as the regulations allow. :o

Plenty of threads on this subject - the bottom line is the people with enough money to pay the 200% import tax applied to the value that the Thai customs put on the car (not what you think it is worth) - are later worn down by the paperwork loop holes that are required and the "service fees" required at every turn.

I heard one person state that there was less heartache and less adverse enviromental impact to fill the car with gas and drive it at speed into the sea at a local beauty spot in your home country then allow it to rust while burning a small pile of money nearby. Nice image.

Please prove us wrong and post your experiances.

Plenty of threads on this subject - the bottom line is the people with enough money to pay the 200% import tax applied to the value that the Thai customs put on the car (not what you think it is worth) - are later worn down by the paperwork loop holes that are required and the "service fees" required at every turn.

I heard one person state that there was less heartache and less adverse enviromental impact to fill the car with gas and drive it at speed into the sea at a local beauty spot in your home country then allow it to rust while burning a small pile of money nearby. Nice image.

Please prove us wrong and post your experiances.

Fill my car with Gas . At todays prices? What do you think I am a multi millionare?

My friend from UK has just arrived in Phuket to live here. He has a 1972 MG sports in the UK which is the love of his life! He would love to import it to Thailand. Has anyone done the same? I have heard that is very expensive with import tax etc. to import cars here. If anyone has any advice we would like very much to hear from you. If this is the wrong forum for this artical I do apologise.

Should be in the motoring forum, but...The general advice is ....DON'T DO IT! :o

It would be a lot cheaper and far less heartache to either:

1) Buy a new 4x4 or saloon car in Thailand.

2) Buy an MG in Thailand.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL