Birth Registration At Uk Embassy

Dont Panic

The second one is due next week so I have started getting together all the relevant documents for the registration. I was shocked to see a price of 15,000 baht (including passport)on the UK embassy web site. I cant remember paying that much for my daughter 2 years ago.......has it gone up??

cheers

It's more than that - 14,755 for just registering the birth and then 4,940 for the passport. So nearly 20,000 all-in. Will have to do the same thing soon myself - been putting it off for a while though. A disgraceful rip-off it really is though.

More info here.

OK, the web site says different though - I emailed the Embassy this morning as I need to know also. Will post the answer if/when I get one...

very interested to hear your answer as the web site conflicts with what the guy I spoke to said...

cheers

Done it 2 weeks ago so reading from UK Embassy receiptChilds 1st passport 4940 Baht. Registering a birth 5980 Baht. Certified birth certificate 7670 Baht. Therefore answer to register birth, obtain certificate and 1st passport is now 18590 Baht.

That price sure seems a lot more than I paid in 2006 with my first daughter. I remember paying about 5k for the passport which I thought was fine......but I'm sure I paid about 1500baht or something for the birth registration.......maybe I just blocked out the truth and tried to forget I was ripped blind by my government......

I thought it was a bit over 10k for the registration and about 5k for the passport. Of course you have to get the birth certificate translated at additional cost.

That's what the price was when I checked late last year - looks like they've put their prices up very recently.

Done it 2 weeks ago so reading from UK Embassy receiptChilds 1st passport 4940 Baht. Registering a birth 5980 Baht. Certified birth certificate 7670 Baht. Therefore answer to register birth, obtain certificate and 1st passport is now 18590 Baht.

Hi iv gotta do it myself in a couple of months when my 1st boy is born, and iv got the right hump it is a complete con, they know just as they do with the passports that we need them so they just bump up the price and what really gives me the hump is the way they try and make the price seem lower by quoting a completely ficticious exchange rate, i went to get renew my passport the other week and they were saying it was 74 to the pound which then makes the passport not seem that much more but considering the banks were 63 then its wrong wron wrong....rant over now for my question

What is a certified birth certificate at 7670??? Can i not just get a thai birth certificate translated at about 500 baht then register the birth at 5980 then get a passport at 4940??? i dont wanna have to fork out 19k in one hit if i have to..

I thought it was a bit over 10k for the registration and about 5k for the passport. Of course you have to get the birth certificate translated at additional cost.

That's what the price was when I checked late last year - looks like they've put their prices up very recently.

how much the price has increased is what i would like to know?

When I called the embassy I was told the price has increased with inflation.......not sure about that?

what really gives me the hump is the way they try and make the price seem lower by quoting a completely ficticious exchange rate, i went to get renew my passport the other week and they were saying it was 74 to the pound which then makes the passport not seem that much more but considering the banks were 63 then its wrong wron wrong

Is it possible to pay for these things using pounds? If so, then one could probably save a lot of cash by just going to a bank and getting the sum in pounds using the real exchange rate...

I didn't think registration was necesary?

A child born to a British citizen is automatically British. Registration of birth isn't essential, you can go straight to getting a passport.

Check our Scouse's posts on this.

The price has increased recently by 36% to Bt14755 just for registration and this is reflected on their website. Additional copies are another 4k or thereabouts.

So rip off Britain extends its greed hand to Bangkok. Can someone please tell me how it can cost £250 to have some lacky write out a birth certificate and then scan a copy to the computer, presumably mailing a hard copy to the UK ? Takes perhaps 5 minutes ?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, but what advantages are then in having the British birth certificate if it's not needed for the passport?

And can you do it the other way round, i.e. passport first, birth certificate later?

Is there a certain time limit within which one must get the birth certificate and/or passport after the child is born? E.g. could you still get the documents when he's, say, 2 or 3 years old, or must it be done sooner?

Thanks!

Is there a certain time limit within which one must get the birth certificate

42 Days

Births must usually be registered within 42 days.
could you still get the documents when he's, say, 2 or 3 years old,

Yes

It is possible to apply to register a birth years after it occurred. You will need to give as many details as possible, such as the exact date and place of birth including your or the child’s full name and address.

Good Luck and congrats Dan and everyone

Moss

OK, but what advantages are then in having the British birth certificate if it's not needed for the passport?

The only advantage that I can think of is that, should the child subsequently reside in the UK, a British birth certificate will be more acceptable to those authorities who may wish to see it. The other option is to present the Thai birth certificate with a translation.

However, it is worth remembering that a British birth certificate, by itself, is not evidence of nationality; for example a child born in the UK who does not acquire British citizenship at birth will still be issued with a British birth certificate, yet not be entitled to a passport.

Scouse.

I don't know whether I said this before but when I wanted a passport for my daughter I had to get the long version of my birth certificate and they mailed this to me in Thailand. it got me thinking. To get a passport you have to provide the Thai birth certificate with a certified translation so what do they do with those forms ? Surely they scan them onto some system (same system ?) and put a hard copy on file somewhere and I would have thought it quite reasonable, when asked, to have them print off the Thai certificate and the translation. For a paper trail, these documents which were used to get the passport must be available on-line. If not, how could a passport issued overseas be renewed in the UK ?

Its just a con to get more cash out of you.

• 2 weeks later...

The only advantage that I can think of is that, should the child subsequently reside in the UK, a British birth certificate will be more acceptable to those authorities who may wish to see it. The other option is to present the Thai birth certificate with a translation.

However, it is worth remembering that a British birth certificate, by itself, is not evidence of nationality; for example a child born in the UK who does not acquire British citizenship at birth will still be issued with a British birth certificate, yet not be entitled to a passport.

Scouse.

If my daughter doesn't need a British birth certificate and I just obtained a British Passport can she, when she old enough, obtain a National insurance number ?