Anyone Interested In Dairy Goat Farming?

I've been doing dairy goat farming for the past five years in Chonburi. We produce an excellent cheese which we sell to a few hotels and restaurants. We have captured a tiny percentage of the market. The potential is big. If anyone is interested in developing the business further I would be happy to get them set up with goats, know how and marketing.

Hello Goatfarmer

Sorry not likely to take you up on the offer of Goats, but I am interested to hear you make your own cheese.

I just bought myself a book on how to make cheese, with a view to getting one milk cow sometime in the future.

Where do you get your starter culture & rennet from ?

Is it available in Thailand ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
I've been doing dairy goat farming for the past five years in Chonburi. We produce an excellent cheese which we sell to a few hotels and restaurants. We have captured a tiny percentage of the market. The potential is big. If anyone is interested in developing the business further I would be happy to get them set up with goats, know how and marketing.

Hi, I'm based down in Krabi where I think there would be an excellent market opportunity for goats cheese. So was thinking about the possibility of setting up a small operation down here. I wasn't sure from reading your email if you are talking about expanding your business in Chonburi or whether you would be at all interested in helping other people set up in other parts of the country with possibilities for linked marketing/sales etc.

Although from a farming background originally I have no knowledge about goat farming at all so any chance you could give me some information, just the real basics of setup requirements to begin with, land area required, goat stock required, feed costs, housing etc etc and any direct costs of production facilities (although would be on small scale to start).

To begin with myself and my wife would just like to make it a cottage industry really as we don't really require to make it into a business that would support us immediately as long as in a reasonable timescale it could support its own operation. Krabi is at an excellent point in its development for such an enterprise and with Phuket a mere 200km away, I am sure that there is massive room for expansion once a market had been developed.

Any information you could throw my way though would be greatly appreciated and if it seems like a viable possibility then any ideas you have to work to mutual benefit would of course be welcomed.

thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

richard

hi goatfarmer, glad to see that things worked out... if i remember correctly a long time ago u posted lots of questions etc....or am i confusing u with someone else? or are u the one in the south with the thai native goats/mix?

where is chonburi? sorry for ingnorance and laziness for checking maps, easier to ask here.

there is a small chance that i may be in thailand in may, with very little spending money,but i will be in around korat... as u know i am a goat fanatic-- did my own non rennet cheeses with vinegar or lemon juice like haluoumi style (and one rennet cheese israeli style)... sadly, no more goats although i may get back in to simillar in the future (meat sheep- yummy but not as fun as goats)-- i would love to see a working goat farm in thailand-- since til recently i was the one giving goat advice here on the forum... but based on israeli methods.

i really really miss my goats and the farming/zoo in general; am now cooking in the kibbutz hotel, so am on the eating side of cheeses-- so i am the cheese buyer-- needless to say, i dont touch cow's milk or cow's milk cheeses; someone here in israel does buffalo cheeses, too bad no one tries in thailand (the water buffalo for cheese is from italy but i think different breed but can also produce good milk-- kwai nom?

bina

israel

hi goatfarmer, glad to see that things worked out... if i remember correctly a long time ago u posted lots of questions etc....or am i confusing u with someone else? or are u the one in the south with the thai native goats/mix?

where is chonburi? sorry for ingnorance and laziness for checking maps, easier to ask here.

there is a small chance that i may be in thailand in may, with very little spending money,but i will be in around korat... as u know i am a goat fanatic-- did my own non rennet cheeses with vinegar or lemon juice like haluoumi style (and one rennet cheese israeli style)... sadly, no more goats although i may get back in to simillar in the future (meat sheep- yummy but not as fun as goats)-- i would love to see a working goat farm in thailand-- since til recently i was the one giving goat advice here on the forum... but based on israeli methods.

i really really miss my goats and the farming/zoo in general; am now cooking in the kibbutz hotel, so am on the eating side of cheeses-- so i am the cheese buyer-- needless to say, i dont touch cow's milk or cow's milk cheeses; someone here in israel does buffalo cheeses, too bad no one tries in thailand (the water buffalo for cheese is from italy but i think different breed but can also produce good milk-- kwai nom?

bina

israel

Yes Bina you are confusing him with another guy. The other guy gave up in the end... his goats kept dying off. You will notice that the guy above posted one year ago and never came back to answer people's questions. If you search for goat and Chonburi you will probably find his web site and contact him via there if you wish.

Best regards,

JB.

right, got it...

anyhows will only be in for two weeks due to WORK blech :o( .... so no time at all for traipsing around.. i remember how difficult it was to get to someone's goat farm in the next muu baan!!!

bina

israel

• 2 weeks later...

bina,in BKK has many small goat farms.but as you know it's not a beautiful ranch and difficult to go to muu ban.

maybe you are enjoy with fresh goat milk and making your israel style goat cheese in BKK.

• 1 month later...

We have been offered a pair of goats from a friend of wifes who breeds them in Bangkok and after reading asiagoat.com recon we could be onto summit...sounds good....fresh cheese... :D

Now all i gotta do is get them a ticket on TG to CM...mmm :)

We have been offered a pair of goats from a friend of wifes who breeds them in Bangkok and after reading asiagoat.com recon we could be onto summit...sounds good....fresh cheese... :D

Now all i gotta do is get them a ticket on TG to CM...mmm :D

Goats cheese?

When my wife was in Portugal she tried some despite my warnings.

I just wish I ahd had a camera with me to take a picture of her face. :):D

AND I had to pay for the cheese as well.

mheee-mee thinks it sounds like a very cheese idea! hope you find the right person.

Bina, there is already at least one or two companies making buffalo cheese locally, however i won't really suggest anyone to buy them, try the imported ones if you like a good taste, but they don't come cheap...

I am interested in the business. I am going to tomorrow morning(May 11,2009) to Pataya. How can I contact you. You can send an email: [no emails here please, have posters PM you -- )

• 4 weeks later...

Dear All Goat Lover

I also wanted to set up a goat farm for meat goat for long time. Hence, I visited a beautiful 500 goat operational goat farm in Muka Lek area this week. As most of you have some intrest in goat for meat or goat for milk farming, based on my visit I would love to answer any questions if you have as the owner of the farm does not speak English. You may send me email as well if u like on [please dont post email addresses here, have people PM you ]

best regards

ALI

I am interested in the business. I am going to tomorrow morning(May 11,2009) to Pataya. How can I contact you. You can send an email: []

• 1 month later...

I am interested in the business. I am going to tomorrow morning(May 11,2009) to Pataya. How can I contact you. You can send an email: [no emails here please, have posters PM you -- )

Im interested in goat raising in north east thailand and would like more information. email deleted as per forum rules / anyone interested or have info please use the PM functions....

Dear All Goat Lover

I also wanted to set up a goat farm for meat goat for long time. Hence, I visited a beautiful 500 goat operational goat farm in Muka Lek area this week. As most of you have some intrest in goat for meat or goat for milk farming, based on my visit I would love to answer any questions if you have as the owner of the farm does not speak English. You may send me email as well if u like on [please dont post email addresses here, have people PM you ]

best regards

I am interested in the business. I am going to tomorrow morning(May 11,2009) to Pataya. How can I contact you. You can send an email: []

ALI

Hi Ali, from an old goat lover. Where is Muka Lek? Because I am in Laos with a farm and I have brought a dozen good goats here from Chon Buri this year. Now I am looking for some good bucks, of high quality. I mean dairy goat bucks. So if you or you know anyone who is selling some i would be very interested. Capt. Bob in Laos.

• 2 years later...

Howdy from Chaiyaphum. I am exploring same. If you get serious, I welcome contact: Will <<Use PM function>>. I have a ready market in young family patients awakening to a higher level of self-care. There surely is a similar or wider market around KK.

Edited by metisdead
Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems.

host poster: Will - <<Use Pm function>>. Previous experience managing a small goat herd for milk production. I have 15 Rai to host some kind of farming project. I have a patient market to serve through my wife's clinic.

Edited by metisdead
Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems.

I have some good Nubian Stock in The North East I Welcome Any Contact With Other Goat Farmers.

I have 12 girls and 1 Nubian Boy ( sorry nothing for sale yet )

<email removed, use PM function instead>

One Question Does anyone know how much milk a Nubian girl gives per day.

we get about one lt per doe per day is this the norm ?

Edited by metisdead
Email address removed per forum rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Raising a few dairy goats for milk to make cheese is something I have been interested in for many years so I will be in contact with you goatfarmer.

Our next door neighbour - and a few other local farmers - raise a small herd every year and I've asked them many times about dairy goats. For the first few years all inquiries were always met with blank stares: Goats for milk?! Never heard of that crazy idea! Earlier this year the neighbour attended a local meeting of goat herders and again I asked him to inquire about dairy goats. When he returned he was raving about the goat meat barbecue and, oh yes, someone has dairy goats and I can buy one for 9,000 baht. As I checked your prices I turned to my wife; Look honey, the price for a dairy goat is indeed 9,000 baht. Look again old man, she replied, that's 900 baht not 9,000.

But I have two quick questions; around here - Petchaburi - the ONLY feed given to goats is fresh kratin (Leucaena) that is cut from along the roadways. Would this be suitable feed for dairy goats? And secondly, do the goats have to be milked daily? If we were away from the land for a few weeks would there be health problems with the goats?

Thank you for the useful information, look forward to investigating further.

Raising a few dairy goats for milk to make cheese is something I have been interested in for many years so I will be in contact with you goatfarmer.

Our next door neighbour - and a few other local farmers - raise a small herd every year and I've asked them many times about dairy goats. For the first few years all inquiries were always met with blank stares: Goats for milk?! Never heard of that crazy idea! Earlier this year the neighbour attended a local meeting of goat herders and again I asked him to inquire about dairy goats. When he returned he was raving about the goat meat barbecue and, oh yes, someone has dairy goats and I can buy one for 9,000 baht. As I checked your prices I turned to my wife; Look honey, the price for a dairy goat is indeed 9,000 baht. Look again old man, she replied, that's 900 baht not 9,000.

But I have two quick questions; around here - Petchaburi - the ONLY feed given to goats is fresh kratin (Leucaena) that is cut from along the roadways. Would this be suitable feed for dairy goats? And secondly, do the goats have to be milked daily? If we were away from the land for a few weeks would there be health problems with the goats?

Thank you for the useful information, look forward to investigating further.

You can feed them gatin trees they love it, as for milking you need to milk twice a day to get the best out of them. If you have no one to milk for two weeks your going to be in a mess unless the kids are at foot

• 1 year later...