Anything Wrong With This Sentence?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with it. You might have recently learned that coffee is an uncountable noun and therefore it would be better to say, "some coffee". However, it is common colloquially to ask for a cup of coffee, a pint of beer, or a bottle of water, and to leave out the" ____ of".

I would be careful teaching this to students without an explanation though as it might seem to interfere with what they have just been taught. It could also potentially come up in a test where students are asked to tick "the best possible answer" :o (I hate this).

Edited by withnail

This is being taught by a "native Farang" teacher.

"Would you like a coffee?"

Anything wrong or am I just crazy?

Ajarn Ski....

In my opinion, the sentence is incorrect .

The correct structure should surely be "Would you like a cup of coffee?" or "Would you like some coffee?"

But since the Americans bastardised the English Language, then who knows? :o

I doubt this thread is worth a warning to anyone, so I'll remind our members *once* to be careful how they address other members (especially as teachers).

I don't think the quoted sentence passes as correct formal English, but I have heard similar expressions used casually by native speakers from both sides of the Atlantic.

"S"

". However, it is common colloquially to ask for a cup of coffee, a pint of beer, or a bottle of water, and to leave out the" ____ of".

I would be careful teaching this to students without an explanation though as it might seem to interfere with what they have just been taught. It could also potentially come up in a test where students are asked to tick "the best possible answer" :o (I hate this).

From all my years of teaching and the many grammar books I've read; I've never seen " a coffee". I am ummmmm American and I've never heard anyone say "a coffee."

It's either "a cup of coffee" or "some coffee". Is there anything "official" or even "unofficial" out there that shows "a coffee" is O.K to use?

Ajarn...SKi

I doubt this thread is worth a warning to anyone, so I'll remind our members *once* to be careful how they address other members (especially as teachers).

I don't think the quoted sentence passes as correct formal English, but I have heard similar expressions used casually by native speakers from both sides of the Atlantic.

"S"

I agree.

By the way I am not a teacher, so other members can address me how they want. I do not get offended easily. :o

It's either "a cup of coffee" or "some coffee". Is there anything "official" or even "unofficial" out there that shows "a coffee" is O.K to use?

9,250 raw Google hits for "would you like a coffee", starting with http://www.britishcouncil.org.br/etp/unit9d.html.

I still think ijustwannateach's post is correct.

In my opinion, although it is ok, it is not grammatically correct.

Incidentally. that British council website is directed towards Brazilian teachers and the intro letter from Roberta Guittierez. I would not have thought a native English speaker :o

Yet, we also ask, "would you like a beer, or a Coke?" Both my simple American and my big proper Brrritish dictionaries say that it can be countable or uncountable. The Brrritish book uses as an example, "two coffees, please." Maybe it tweren't the Yanks who went and bastardized the American language. :o Would the last native-born UK citizen still in Blighty, who speaks RP, please turn down the lights?

I agree that it is incorrect , but I think that it is still perfectly acceptable to use.

I have heard it used many times by people back in the UK, although one should be aware of regional differences regarding the use of the language.

There's nothing wrong with it at all. English is a living language and evolving all the time. It may have been considered incorrect at one time but nowadays it's perfectly acceptable. The same way that "Would you like a..." might have sounded strange to those who were used to saying "Wouldst thou like a...".

I teach:

'any' used in questions with uncountable nouns if you require a 'yes'/'no' response. For example: 'Is there any water in the kettle tirak?' You don't know.

'some' used in questions with uncountable nouns when you expect the answer 'yes'. For example, in a restaurant: 'Would you like some water, kinok?' The waiter is standing over you with a jug but won't pour until you give him permission.

In the real world we mix both.

A summary:

'any' is used in positive sentences with plural countable and uncountable nouns.

'some' is used in interrogatives and negative sentences with plural countable and uncountable nouns.

Normally, an article would only be used with single countable noun statements.

Edited by Loaded

Yet, we also ask, "would you like a beer, or a Coke?" Both my simple American and my big proper Brrritish dictionaries say that it can be countable or uncountable. The Brrritish book uses as an example, "two coffees, please." Maybe it tweren't the Yanks who went and bastardized the American language. :D Would the last native-born UK citizen still in Blighty, who speaks RP, please turn down the lights?

:o

Also the poster who said English is a living, evolving language has his head screwed on straight.

'some' used in questions with uncountable nouns when you expect the answer 'yes'. For example, in a restaurant: 'Would you like some water, kinok?' The waiter is standing over you with a jug but won't pour until you give him permission.

This isn't truly a question, but a function used for offering, is it not?

I teach:

'any' used in questions with uncountable nouns if you require a 'yes'/'no' response. For example: 'Is there any water in the kettle tirak?' You don't know.

So the waiter is expecting a 'Yes' answer, is he? That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it?

In the real world we mix both.

A summary:

'any' is used in positive sentences with plural countable and uncountable nouns.

'some' is used in interrogatives and negative sentences with plural countable and uncountable nouns.

You have it backwards - 'Some' for positives, 'any' for negatives.

Normally, an article would only be used with single countable noun statements.

There are only two articles in English 'the - definite article and 'a' - indefinite.

Let's get back to the question, should we? Is it correct to say "Would you like a coffee?" Yes, it is! If I am offering you a coffee, what is it that I am offering you? A coffee tree? A coffee plantation? A cup of coffee? or maybe a coffee bean? It is permissible to omit words/phrases when the meaning is clear - I missed a word out in my blue, bolded statement concerning articles, did it make sense? Was the meaning any less clear? Other posters have pointed out that we omit 'glass/cup/beaker/schooner of' without harming the meaning. The grammatical term for the omission of words is an 'ellipses', not to be confused with the three dots which is a printer's mark. Another example would be "I have cycled in the Swiss Alps but he hasn't." I do not have to write "I have cycled in the Swiss Alps but he hasn't cycled in the Swiss Alps."

Would I, a Brit, say 'Would you like a tea?' Possibly not because tea can mean either the drink, a light afternoon meal or the main meal of the day in certain parts of the UK.

There are only two articles in English 'the - definite article and 'a' - indefinite

Actually there are four: a, an, the, and zero article could be counted as the fourth.

As I said two - definite and indefinite. we use 'an' as an indefinite article when the next word starts with a vowel. As for the 'zero article', are you joking? I know it's April 1st but if there is no article there, how can you count it?

Edited by mr_hippo

There are only two articles in English 'the - definite article and 'a' - indefinite

Actually there are four: a, an, the, and zero article could be counted as the fourth.

As I said two - definite and indefinite. we use 'an' as an indefinite article when the next word starts with a vowel. As for the 'zero article', are you joking? I know it's April 1st but if there is no article there, how can you count it?

No, I'm not joking and I am aware that 'an' comes before 'a vowel sound', not necessarily a vowel: 'A European national',

'A union', 'An honest day's work'. When there is no article, it has a meaning, and I did say it 'could' be counted as such.

Edited by mbkudu

"Would you like some coffee?" is the right way to say it.

Sounds good to me. I'm sticking with PB though on this. 'Would you like some beer?' Or, 'Would you like a bottle of beer?' Or,

'Would you like a beer? Or, 'Beer?' It's all queer my dear. :o

Q: What's the most used line on US commercial aircraft?

A: "Coffee, tea?"

Edited by mbkudu

When teaching and writing, I try to be careful to use 'a cup of... a bottle of.... a can of...." It's easiest and best to teach the correct form. People seem to be quite adept at learning the shortcuts on their own.

When teaching and writing, I try to be careful to use 'a cup of... a bottle of.... a can of...." It's easiest and best to teach the correct form. People seem to be quite adept at learning the shortcuts on their own.

I'd agree with that, but they should also be aware that in the real world they will be hearing much shorter, chopped off discourse.

Edited by mbkudu

I stand up to be slapped down, I do not venture into these strange lands (Teaching forum) to offer any great knowledge, but this thought.

Context is all. If the OP situation is one where those taught are going on to Teach English themselves at an adavnced level then the pedantic response about cups, mugs or kilos is fair.

However, if people (students or whoever) can communicate their wants with others in English it does not really matter about the difference between a cup or coffee or a shot of coffee. They will make greater progress long term being able to communicate than worry about tripping up over an extra word that does not add real value to the phrase.

When I tried to order a beer once in Europe the bartender thought my attempt was worst than useless, he taught me the local slang for "another one", and I was was fine for the rest of my stay there.

What do I need to learn in Thai to communicate my need?

a) Please tell me where the nearest bank is?

B) Which way to the bank?

c) ATM ?

Did you notice the mispelling of advanced - didn't loose anything in terms of communicating meaning. But a guess a teacher would give a red mark - those in business would just get on with it. To summarise for teachers - you are teaching more business people than new teachers - teach commication rather than loosing the focus of the students in detail at a level that is wasted on them.

Now get me a coffee.

Edited by Cuban

Teach communication rather than losing the focus of the students in detail at a level that is wasted on them.

This is the important message that a lot of teachers miss because they are too focused on teaching grammar.

Edited by mbkudu

Teach communication rather than loosing the focus of the students in detail at a level that is wasted on them.

This is the important message that a lot of teachers miss because they are too focused on teaching grammar.

Very true, and often you have students who grammar is very good, but they have significant difficulty in communicating verbally.