Thai Visa - Runs Out Too Early?

I am going to Thailand on the 10th of October for 2 months. Went to get the thai visa sorted in London on the 15th of September.

I was looking at the expiry date of the visa and it says 15th of November.

I am going to phone them on monday to confirm, but someone on here might have some advice.

would this be because you can stay in Thailand for 30 days without a visa? (I will be moving on, on the 11th of December), so the visa runs til the 15th of November and then you have 30 days from that date - it can't be can it?

When i filled out the form it asked when you were leaving and then when you are moving on, and i gave them the correct dates...

in your experience is this right?

Thanks.

Guest fj2003

thid expire date is when the visa itself will be expire but the moment you enter the country is the date when your present visa is started to be valid

in your case you enter the country with a valid visa and you will get a permitted stay of 30 days so you can leave but you have to be back here a t least on the 15th of mov, to get another 30 days stamp as an confimr of your signed visa but if you stay abroad longer and you will come back later you will get normally also a 30 day visa on entry but this can be denide up to the border official who has to proof your present visa time is proof and will be just always with 30 days confirmed

hopefully my english is o.k. to understand how it works

example:

visa 60 days issue 01-01

expire date 02-03

coming to thailand 20-01

30 days confirm on tourist visa

valid until 19-02

leaving thailand for 10 days

coming back on the 01 -03

another 30 days confirmed on your valid visa

leaving date 31-03

coming back 10-03 apliing on arrival for 30 day tourist visa

can be deninde

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am not sure that I understand 100% though...

Basically, the visa can be used up until the 15th of November.

When I arrive in Thailand I will receive a stamp with the date on it.

Then I will have to leave after 60 days of this date?

Is this correct?

Hi chris... good name by the way!...

Depends on the visa you got in London... If you got a 60 day visa, then you should technically be right. The visa itself will have an expiry date, but that´s like a "use by date". If you enter before that "use by" date, then you will be good for 60 days. The immigration at the airport will give you a stamp with the relevant dates on it.

That "use by date" just means you will not be able to enter the country after that date.

Chok dii, and enjoy your time here.

Hi......London should of given the visa a 3 month validity in which to utilize it , thats the norm! i.e 15th Sept to 15th Dec.....regardless you/ll have to watch your days by my reckoning if you get here on the 10th October your 60 days stay (which you will get upon arrival) will expire on the 8th Dec.........this means that you will need to do a visa run or risk overstaying by the odd days (risky, but up to you). Somebody correct me if i/m wrong but, extending by the odd few days at local immigration wont be possible because London cocked the expiry date of the visa up! When you phone London on Monday, it might be an idea to "tactfully" ask if your visa should of had a 3 month "use by date" on it..........if they say yes, get it changed (bit of a hassle i know) then you can extend your stay within Thailand when you are here to cover the odd extra days ................or change your return flight date! :o

He can either make a border crossing for a 30 day stay or extend his stay for the few days required at an immigration office. The visa is dead meat after he enters the country so as long as he enters before the expiry date he is safe and can extend the 60 day stay just as anyone.

The visa is dead meat after he enters the country ...

I just like this expression. :o

Actually, we should understand, the visa is just a recommendation to enter a country. Once you reach the border and obtain a stamp (actually a permit to stay)

your visa becomes void and in fact will/should be stamped "USED".

For more than one entry-visa is is the same story, exept that with entering one visa-entry becomes void.

So or so, it is the immigration police at the border who finally decides how long you can stay, it is his colleague at an immigration office, who decides to accept your application for extension.

Easy, huh?

I am going to Thailand on the 10th of October for 2 months. Went to get the thai visa sorted in London on the 15th of September.

I was looking at the expiry date of the visa and it says 15th of November.

I am going to phone them on monday to confirm, but someone on here might have some advice.

would this be because you can stay in Thailand for 30 days without a visa? (I will be moving on, on the 11th of December), so the visa runs til the 15th of November and then you have 30 days from that date - it can't be can it?

When i filled out the form it asked when you were leaving and then when you are moving on, and i gave them the correct dates...

in your experience is this right?

Thanks.

London has made a mistake ( or their computer has ) be sweet and they should alter or reissue it.

I don't see that you have any need to contact the embassy again.

You intend to enter Thailand b4 the expiry date in you passport visa stamp.

Getting the expiry date changed to 15 December will make absolutely no difference.

If you have a tourist visa you will be given 60 days on entering Thailand.

Then you have 2 choices.

Either leave and re-enter Thailand at a border land crossing on a day to suit you

(any time in the 29 days before you intend to move on) Remember to carry your onward travel ticket and 10,000 Baht to show the immigration to prove that you have funds enough to stay. You will get 30 days when you re-enter Thailand. Remember that the 30 days includes the day you do the border crossing, so you effectively get 29 days.

Or you can extend your visa at any immigration office. This can be done any time in the last week of your permission to stay. Take your travel ticket with you, although they are unlikely to want to see it. This will cost you 1900 Baht.