Motorbike Crimes & Fines

1. Not wearing a helmet

The police can take along a good selection of helmets with them and apart from the usual fine, make the offenders purchase a helmet, so they can legally drive of after having paid the fine.

2. Anyone purchasing a vehicle must produce a valid Thai driving licence. If not give them 7 days to present themselves at nathon police station with a valid licence, remembering having no licence invalidates any insurance you might have including medical.

3. Anyone driving without lights impound the bike inposing a daily storage charge until they have corrected the problem.

4. Children driving motorbikes, impound the bike and fine the parents.

i am sure many more to be added.

All great & sensible ideas in theory Robin but unfortunately, none of them can't be solved with a smile & 50 THB from a local or 100 THB from a Foreigner..

& there lies the problem..

Why would you think there'd be a solution to a problem that the people who would have to enforce it, don't want to go away ??

Someone I talked to had a novel policy for the loud/dirty exhaust problem. I added a twist. Pull over the offending vehicle and take a bat and beat the muffler until it's broken. Then tell the guy to have it replaced by a certified muffler and bring it back to a police station which will reimburse 50% of the cost. I added the bat part. Totally infeasible and abusive, but it solves one of my pet peeves - pollution, both noise- and air-related.

1. Not wearing a helmet

The police can take along a good selection of helmets with them and apart from the usual fine, make the offenders purchase a helmet, so they can legally drive of after having paid the fine.

2. Anyone purchasing a vehicle must produce a valid Thai driving licence. If not give them 7 days to present themselves at nathon police station with a valid licence, remembering having no licence invalidates any insurance you might have including medical.

3. Anyone driving without lights impound the bike inposing a daily storage charge until they have corrected the problem.

4. Children driving motorbikes, impound the bike and fine the parents.

i am sure many more to be added.

I agree with you, but motorbikes seem to be the easy target for a rapid cash influx into the police coffers. IMHO it is the lorries, particularly the cement and water ones which see themselves above the law and are a very real problem, causing damage, pollution and downright dangerous driving. But I guess that they have more powerful guardian angels than the average Thai small bike owner.

I agree with you, but motorbikes seem to be the easy target for a rapid cash influx into the police coffers. IMHO it is the lorries, particularly the cement and water ones which see themselves above the law and are a very real problem, causing damage, pollution and downright dangerous driving. But I guess that they have more powerful guardian angels than the average Thai small bike owner.

They do have Gatorade you're right, but it's all still relative, the Big Police Chiefs get the $$ from the big Bosses at said Company's, the regular Officers get the $$ from Motorbike etc, it's just the way of the Food chain.. :o

They do have Gatorade you're right, but it's all still relative, the Big Police Chiefs get the $$ from the big Bosses at said Company's, the regular Officers get the $$ from Motorbike etc, it's just the way of the Food chain.. :D

And who's at the top of the foodchain? :o

They do have Gatorade you're right, but it's all still relative, the Big Police Chiefs get the $$ from the big Bosses at said Company's, the regular Officers get the $$ from Motorbike etc, it's just the way of the Food chain.. :D

And who's at the top of the foodchain? :o

In this Country ??

The Man who owns Manchester City Football Club..

I agree with OP.

But you can't expect/get the "authorities" to do this.

They are very busy most days trying to work out if they should order noodle soup or padthai for lunch.

I was thinking of a vigilante group, call them "The Secret Police", try to help these busy authority type people.

We could go around mashing in loud exhausts, ripping tyres off bikes with no lights, pulling the plug on kids who think they can and should ride, dumping the wreck in the parents front yard, cool stuff like that.

I thought to start putting a sticker on the car or motorcycle of any given bad driver, saying something like "You are a BAD DRIVER - you are now on The Secret Police Files - the next time we see you drive badly we are going to set fire to your car".

We could just use that adhesive label stuff they put on new ovens, fridges, cookers and stuff, for sure you can't get that stuff off again.

Now that'd get 'em goin' wouldn't it?

I really think it is time we took the law into our own hands, everybody else (locals) here does, yes?

Anybody interested in joining The Secret Police?

My Five Baht's Worth :o