Need Visa Help - Head Exploding!

Hi,

I am being driven mad trying to find a definitive answer for myself and my partner. We are travelling to SE Asia this summer. We are both Irish and both 23.

We will both be entering Thailand a number of times and are hoping to do it solely using the free 30 day stamp.

Me..

1st time: Entry at Malaysian border. I will have proof of an onward flight to Vietnam from BKK within 30 days.

2nd time: Entry at Bangkok International Airport from Vietnam. I will have proof of an onward flight to Malaysia from Phuket within 30 days

3rd time: Lao-Bangkok border. I will have proof of the same onward flight to Malaysia as above within 30 days.

BUT - I do not really plan to take this flight from Phuket to Malaysia. I am only pre booking it so as not to encounter any difficulties re: onward travel when I arrive in Thailand on the last two occasions, as I have heard a lot of horror stories. Instead, I plan to spend the last 6 weeks of my trip on the Thai islands, and do a visa run to Burma at some stage in order to keep myself legal, re-entering the country for a fourth time using my return flight to Kuala Lumpur as proof of onward travel at the Burma/Thailand border. So..

4th time: Burma/Thailand border after visa run. I will have proof of my flight home to Ireland from KL within 30 days.

Will I have any trouble with any of this?

Him...

1st Entry: Bangkok International Airport - with proof of onward air travel to Vietnam from Thailand within 30 days.

2nd Entry: Bangkok International Airport - with proof of onward air travel to KL from Phuket within 30 days.

3rd Entry: Vietnam-Lao border - with proof of the same flight on to KL within 30 days.

However, he does not plan to take this flight either - he is booking it for the same reasons I am booking mine. This means that his final stay in Thailand will actually be 32 days. Should he do a visa run from Phuket to Burma and a 4th entry or just risk it and pay the fine in the airport when he leaves? I don't particularly want him to take this option but a whole day visa running to Burma seems a bit of a waste for the sake of two days when you might just be able to pay 1000 baht fine in BKK when leaving..

Any advice is very much appreciated..This is very important to us as if the above does not work out then we will be forced to buy a triple entry visa each which costs 120 euro, and as two of our entries will only be for two or three days, this would be horrible :o

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

It looks fine, altough the flight from KL to Ireland will not be accepted as proof of onward travel, as the rule states that it needs to be out of Thailand. Or maybe I'm wrong, and you also fly to Kl from Thailand. Then of course everything is fine.

Regarding overstay, I wouldn't risk it, you might as well get a Thai tourists visa in Laos, which is only 1000 baht, or extend your 30 days exempt stamp at 1900 baht, this way you save the travel time needed.

It looks fine, altough the flight from KL to Ireland will not be accepted as proof of onward travel, as the rule states that it needs to be out of Thailand. Or maybe I'm wrong, and you also fly to Kl from Thailand. Then of course everything is fine.

Regarding overstay, I wouldn't risk it, you might as well get a Thai tourists visa in Laos, which is only 1000 baht, or extend your 30 days exempt stamp at 1900 baht, this way you save the travel time needed.

Thanks so much for reply.

So you think they would turn me away from Thai border rather than let me in with a proof of long haul flight from KL within 30 days? I was planning on going overland between Thailand and KL really.. :o Don't fancy being stuck in Burma :D

Where do you get an extension on the 30 day exempt stamp? I don't think we will be in any one place in Laos long enough to organise a visa..

You are limited to 90 days in Thailand in a 6 month period when you enter using the 30 day visa exempt entry stamp they give you if you do not have a visa. Unless some of your 4 entries are fairly short, you will not be able to stay that long without a visa.

You are limited to 90 days in Thailand in a 6 month period when you enter using the 30 day visa exempt entry stamp they give you if you do not have a visa. Unless some of your 4 entries are fairly short, you will not be able to stay that long without a visa.

Yes, some are very short.

We are going Malaysian border - Thailand on 17th July, departing BKK 20th July for Vietnam.

Returning 28th July, leaving for Laos 29th.

Returning to Thailand approx 4th/5th/6th August (Chiang Mai)

So there is just one long stay - after we come back from Laos. We definitely won't be there for more than 90 days.

Any definitive answer on whether or not Thai immigration would accept a flight leaving from KL within the next thirty days as proof that you were leaving, or where/how you can extend these 30 day stamps?

Once again thank you so much for help so far.

They probably will not ask you about the ticket out in 30 days at a land border besides maybe Cambodia.

30 day stamps can be extended at immigration offices in Thailand for 1900 baht. you will get 7 days if you can show a ticket leaving during those 7 days.

"Any definitive answer on whether or not Thai immigration would accept a flight leaving from KL within the next thirty days as proof that you were leaving, or where/how you can extend these 30 day stamps?"

No they will not, it's a ticket out of Thailand, but I doubt they will even ask, let's just say the chance they ask is very very small. But again, why not get a thai tourist visa, that way you don't have to worry about anything, and it will cover your last stay. If you happen to be in Vientiane or Savannaket, the visa procedure is apply on day one morning, get back passport the next day around 1 PM. So all in all you can get it within a good 26,28 hours.

And it is a whopping 900 baht cheaper then getting an extension on your visa exempt, which is only good for 7 days anyway.

Nothing is ever certain when using 30 day stamps, and extensions are quite expensive.

Immigration offices are not compelled to follow a strict procedure.

As suggested above, getting a tourist visa for the last leg could save you a lot of hassle :o

Naka.

Hi Cerulean

I presume you know there's a Thai consulate in Ballsbridge, Dublin? They accept postal applications only. http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/

You may be better off with a tourist visa.

Hi guys, I don't want to prearrange one before I leave because I've heard if I have one in my passport already then they will just stamp it the first time I enter even though I only need it for the last time I enter :o

I think I will get my Thai visa in Vientiane. Can I get a 60 day one there or does it have to be 30?

Oh and..just for my own information incase something goes wrong in Laos (last year two of my friends were stranded in the mountains for days, lol)...

Are these Thai Immigration Bureaus all over the country? Like can I get to one easily from the islands, either side?

once again THANK YOU

If you do not enter visa information in your arrival and ask them to stamp you for a 30 day visa exempt entry I suspect you have more than a 95% chance that they will do so.

You can obtain a tourist visa (60 day entry) from the Consulate in Vientiane if conditions have not changed.

You're making it too complicated. Just get a tourist visa in Ireland. It's surely cheaper than booking flights you don't intend to take. This will satisfy your airline, which is actually the main issue, since they may refuse to carry you unless you have a visa or proof of onward travel within 30 days. On your first arrival you just tell Immigration not to activate the visa. This is done all the time. Then use the visa on your 2nd or 3rd entries - use it for your longest sojourn. Generally you won't get asked at all by Thai Immigration for proof of onward travel except possibly at entry from Cambodia when you have a lot of serial 30-day exemptions in your passport. That may be the time to activate the visa.

You're making it too complicated. Just get a tourist visa in Ireland. It's surely cheaper than booking flights you don't intend to take. This will satisfy your airline, which is actually the main issue, since they may refuse to carry you unless you have a visa or proof of onward travel within 30 days. On your first arrival you just tell Immigration not to activate the visa. This is done all the time. Then use the visa on your 2nd or 3rd entries - use it for your longest sojourn. Generally you won't get asked at all by Thai Immigration for proof of onward travel except possibly at entry from Cambodia when you have a lot of serial 30-day exemptions in your passport. That may be the time to activate the visa.

Agreed :o

For me I've never been asked for an onward flight ticket or travel ticket by the authorities when being granted 30 day stamp, either at airport of lao or malaysian borders. However, Thai airways asked me once but didn't refuse flight when I said I didn't have. Air Asia told me I should have a Malaysian visa before boarding to Malayasia, but being from the UK this is CaRp. Unlike Thailand, Malaysia give 90 day free.