Which Company Does Still Go To Vientiane/nongkhai?

Hi,

I am trying to plan my trip to Laos to get the usual tourist visa in Vientiane, and realized some/all companies or bus planner do not do that anymore :o

Jack Golf is off, and the 2 bus companies I just called Had "too many complaints from customers" (dixit) and stopped that service.

Planes seem still available but a little out of my budget....

Any of you did that bus trip and would share information?

Thank in advance,

Ben

There is public bus service to both Udon and Nong Khai and even direct to Vientiane (if you obtain visa for Laos prior to travel). There is train service to both cities. You do not need a visa company service. Just go the Morchit II (North Bus Station) and get aboard.

There is public bus service to both Udon and Nong Khai and even direct to Vientiane (if you obtain visa for Laos prior to travel). There is train service to both cities. You do not need a visa company service. Just go the Morchit II (North Bus Station) and get aboard.

You are right of course, but it does not really help.

As I would prefer not to hope for the next available seat.... The 2 next weekends are long ones, which means both trains and buses are full.

Thank you anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

You are right of course, but it does not really help.

As I would prefer not to hope for the next available seat.... The 2 next weekends are long ones, which means both trains and buses are full.

Thank you anyway.

Hi,

I am going to Vientiane as I must exit before 3rd may... and re-enter Thailand on a simple 30 days Tourist visa.

I just called and all trains are full to go up north on every train starting tonight till friday !!

I need to know, can I just show up at MorChit and get a Night Bus to Nong Khai , knowing that I'm kind of a spoiled brat and I need VIP coach with the big seats :o ?

How long does the Bus take BKK-NK ? Is it easy to go to the Thai Border and then to VN from Laos border ?

Thanks

Nong Khai is on the border (Thai side). So very easy to cross the bridge and get transportation into Vientiane (about 20-30 minute ride).

Don't know how full bus service to Nong Khai is but if you want VIP would highly recommend obtaining tickets early. It is a 10 hour trip.

I just called and all trains are full to go up north on every train starting tonight till friday !!

If you are not far, a little advice: Try to go to the station, they obviously keep some seats to be able to sale something there.

Don't know how full bus service to Nong Khai is but if you want VIP would highly recommend obtaining tickets early. It is a 10 hour trip.

I tried not so long and it does not seem to have any real vip bus from mochit.

And sorry to add that most of the bus companies which did that earlier, even from khao san, stopped that service.

Which leaves "border-run" companies. Some of them are still doing that way without any ads.... and any security either!!!!

Hi,

I am going to Vientiane as I must exit before 3rd may... and re-enter Thailand on a simple 30 days Tourist visa.

I need to know, can I just show up at MorChit and get a Night Bus to Nong Khai , knowing that I'm kind of a spoiled brat and I need VIP coach with the big seats :o ?

How long does the Bus take BKK-NK ? Is it easy to go to the Thai Border and then to VN from Laos border ?

Thanks

I'm trying to make some sense of your post.

What is a "simple 30 days Tourist visa"?

If it's a 30 day visa exempt entry you're after, then going to Cambodia is a much better option.

Are there trains from Chiang Mai to Laos?

No there are not Savanna - at least I am 90% sure there are not. You would have to travel to Bangkok and then transfer trains to Nong Khai. And sorry to tell you this but there are only two bus companies offering service from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. From Udon Thani you must catch another bus to Nong Khai. The main company in CM (I can't recall their name) offers terrible service. We traveled 12 hours on a very old bus with broken, uncomfortable seats and AC that was only effective if you never moved your head more than 5 cm from the air jet. The other company we were told is even worse! Furthermore, if you are going to travel by bus, buy your tickets several days in advance! My girlfriend called me from the bus station and told me "pack now, we must leave tonight! No buses and/or seats available for three more days! We are sitting next to the toilet!" :o We had to get out of town that evening or my visa would have expired.

Coming back from Udon Thani to CM there are very comfortable, brand new VIP buses available if you know the company to contact to make a reservation. I can get this info for you if you need it. You also need to buy your return ticket several days in advance or you are out of luck.

Edited by elektrified

And the plane would be to Udon or Vientiane.

and they're all full... it's a long week end !! seems like lot of Thai travel to Laos on Buddhist holidays, there are some famous temples there.

There are flights to Udon with Nokair available tomorrow, Friday and Saturday, I have booked - and I am also a cheap skate, just don't fancy ten hours on a bus. 2850 all in round trip isn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I need to know, can I just show up at MorChit and get a Night Bus to Nong Khai , knowing that I'm kind of a spoiled brat and I need VIP coach with the big seats :D ?

Thanks

I'm trying to make some sense of your post.

What is a "simple 30 days Tourist visa"?

If it's a 30 day visa exempt entry you're after, then going to Cambodia is a much better option.

Hi

Yes I meant the basic 30 days visa anyone coming from a developed country automatically gets on arrival... and yes i actually went to Cambodia and I was stunned to see how little interest they give to foreigners using parallel/grey methods to remain in Thailand... and they were actually nice, unlike the posh immigration at Suvarnhabumi :o

Cheers