Leaving On A Non-b

Hey Folks,

I tried to leave the country to Cambodia and was turned around at the Thai immigration. They said my non-b visa had to be stamped by immigration declaring I didn't have a job. Does anyone know if this was just truly bad English and misunderstanding or do I have to go to immigration in Bangkok and get them to stamp my passport, before I can leave the country, invalidate my non-b, and then come back with a tourist visa?

Thanks,

Andrew

Where, when and why were you crossing the border? Have never heard of any such normal requirement and am sure there is none as business travelers use such visas for travel every day. Did your passport flag you as not being a visiting businessman by any chance?

Or did you have a one year extension of stay rather than a non immigrant B visa (your previous post indicates you quite work and had 6 days to leave the country). If you were on an extension of stay for employment you must immediately leave the country or apply for a 7 day extension. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

Yeah no one seems to have ever heard of this rule, but basically I'm on a non-b. It's due for a check up with immigration April 5th. I tried to leave and they told me it had to be stamped by immigration. Have tried calling immigration twice and e-mailing. It's set to expire in June 2008. That seemed to be the reason why I was turned around. They said my employer had to confirm I didn't work for them before I could leave.

BTW I am trying to leave and not have a non-b when I come back. I'm starting a new job. I do not have a multiple re-entry permit.

does anyone know a direct number to immigration for these problems? the number on the website goes to a menu I've tried a bunch of different options and never gotten to a human before.

btw tried to leave Sunday March 30th from Aranyaprathet. Didn't even get to Cambodia immigration.

-

A

Edited by aljones15

Please advise if you are here on a 90 day (visa) entry or on a one year (immigration) extension of stay. You do not make "check up" with immigration when on a 90 day visa entry.

If you are here on an extension of stay for employment and lost that employment you must immediately leave the country. If you stayed a few days and did not obtain a 7 day extension of stay from Immigration you were likely on overstay and must pay the fine before you are allowed to depart. When did your employment end? When did you try to depart?

Ok, basically the visa I have is non-b and does require I go to the immigration office every few months for a check up. That means it's a 1 year extension of stay visa you're saying? Secondly, I tried to leave the country March 30th, my employer no longer employed me around march 1st, but did not take my work permit until march 12th. My question is, if my employer has not reported that I do not work for them, then does that mean I have over stayed?

-

A

Edited by aljones15

and the immigration bureau will know this? how much will I have to pay?(nevermind 20,000 baht or 500 a day. any idea why I can't leave?

why did my work take my work permit march 12th then? Why didn't they notice my overstay at the border?

-

A

Edited by aljones15

Why didn't they notice my overstay at the border?

Immigration at the border noticed it. You came there with a visa extension but without re-entry. But Immigration at the border couldn't determine how long you "over-stayed". That's why you were sent back.

So, back to Labour, get the dor tor 10, look at the second check box. This box mentions the date that work has stopped. Add 7 days and from that date until you leave the country is your over-stay. 500 THB per day with a maximum of 20,000 THB.

Petch01

This one is new to me. I have done a couple of visa runs to Cambo in the last yr for my 90 day Non B with no issues.

I do have a work permit but I was not asked.

If you have a WP, why haven't you got a one-year visa?

G

He appears to have a one year visa - he does not have a one year extension of stay if making visa runs. This can be due to his salary not meeting requirements or company paperwork not meeting them. Many people with work permits do not qualify for extension of stay.

He appears to have a one year visa - he does not have a one year extension of stay if making visa runs. This can be due to his salary not meeting requirements or company paperwork not meeting them. Many people with work permits do not qualify for extension of stay.

Oh, ok, wasn't aware of that :o

G

If you have been worked in Thailand, legally, with work permit, you cannot leave the country without show that you payed your taxes, this is a paper of your accouting service company who show that you indeed paye taxes will be asked in the immigration office.

Many people with work permits do not qualify for extension of stay.

Explain that one please I have never heard that before.

1. An Immigration extension of stay requires income at a level set by them for your nationality - obtaining a work permit does not.

2. Extensions of stay also require company paperwork that the work permit itself does not require - such as tax payments receipts and now making a profit high enough to support income.

I worked with a teacher who ran into that problem. They stop him at the border and wouldn't allow him to leave until he had the stamp from immigration back in Bangkok....and they wouldn't give it until he had his receipt for canceling his work permit. It's a very real problem.

I just did mine on March 31st. I have been on a Visa extension for 4 years now. I went to the border in Chom Choeng(near Surin). I went there under the advice of one the visa run people who said, Aranyaphet is a mess and requires you to show your DOS 10(receipt that your WP was turned in) slip from the Labor office. I only had a copy from my school, and he still recommended I go there as they don't ask for that.

Of course I went, the only thing that took me time to do was to show the officer my visa extensions while he wrote them down. It was a piece of cake... I can truly say it was probably my first time of ever going to the border and not feeling so stressed out...

Coming back the officer was very kind and I was in Thailand with in minutes.

C

I left last year through Koh Kong on a Non-imm B 1 month after quitting my job. The guy didn't even blink, just stamped me out and my visa was canceled. I was on a non-imm B extension and my WP had been handed in 1 month before. Koh Kong seemed completely unaware and just let me through.

I went to Laos last month to apply for a multiple entry 1 year non B (new job in bkk). They gave me a single entry 3 month with a red stamp which tells me I need to show my workpermit to the bkk immigration to get the multi entry 1 year visa. Very nice, as I needed to go to Singapore last week and had to cancel this trip due to this visa stuff. Now I actually decided not to take the job in bkk, as money (and taxes) are better in other parts of asia but am still with this "incomplete" non B visa in Thailand... I'll see what will happen, but they can't keep me in this country if I don't want to be here...

I have the same problem as the OP. Canceled my WP last Friday and booked a trip to Cambodia. The organizer then told me they wouldn't let me out of the country if I don't cancel my VISA beforehand at an immigration office. To do that I'm supposed to get a letter from my old employer, stating the termination of employment at the date I will try to do the visa run.

I'm currently on a NON-B visa that goes till January next year but, as I understand it, is only valid with a valid WP. I have to leave the country and come back with a tourist visa, as the papers for my new employment are not ready yet.

So, my understanding (which is quite limited, tbh) is that if I go to Immigration with this letter from my ex employer, they will cancel my Non-B visa. Then I should be able to do my visa run and come back on a tourist visa. If I juggle it right with the dates, I should be able NOT to pay any overstay. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

i am on an Non Imm. B, Extension of stay till August 2008, i quit the related job in oktober 2007 and gave back the WP and never gave a thought about this again (my bad)

But in January i went to Immigration for a Re entry permit and got it without any problems and left the country through BKK airport and came back 2 weeks later on the same Visa with the re entry permit and no problem at all

so according to what i've read here i should have had a lot of problems???

If your extension of stay was for work you are on illegal entry now and were on overstay so yes, you could well be in trouble and may not be so lucky on your next exit. In the past coordination between labor and immigration was not often in sync - but new policy of zero delay in stay/extension requirement after loss of work likely means there has been a change.