Majority Support For New Airport

SUPAPONG CHAOLAN

KOH SAMUI : Nearly 60% of villagers and businessmen at a recent public hearing supported the proposal to build a second airport on Samui Island. The hearing on March 12 was attended by 342 people _ residents, tourism operators and local officials _ said Kla Manichote, managing director of ABEN Engineering consultancy. About 29% of participants disagreed with the idea for another airport, which could be built in the Thung Na Muang area.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/03Apr2008_news12.php

How about fixing the roads and infrastructure first! And besides ever see the boats, jeeps, and other tourist things "loaded" with soo many ppl that they say after, they'll never take a public tourist outing again, and would rather hire a boat, etc. and have the choice of where to go and how long!

So I say screw a new airport, isn't it enough the way it is??????? Rather get more life preservers on the ferries, and AGAIN fix the bloody roads, 2 friends just got nearly killed, and have to go thru a year of rebilatation! Not to mention the high prices, and still someone wants another airport!!???? When hel_l Freezes Over!

Just my 2 baht, err sorry 5 Baht!

The tourist operators,hotels & the such are pushing for a new airport.The locals? Are the ones to stand to profit from land sales.

Pity you don't see these forces above combine for the betterment of the island, such as roads & infrastructure.Why would they? Long term improvement is one thing , they are chasing the almighty currency the only way they understand how to do it is more tourists.They wouldn't give a hoot about roads & infrastructure.

Absolute nonsense to even have a 'study*' for a second airport.

*"ABEN Engineering was commissioned by the Department of Aviation to prepare an environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the airport project."

Where's the 2nd airport on Phuket ? (which is a lot bigger than Samui).

It's just a game......a game in order to try and achieve 'open skies' in the end at the private owned -existing- airport (BKK Airways)

LaoPo

SUPAPONG CHAOLAN

KOH SAMUI : Nearly 60% of villagers and businessmen at a recent public hearing supported the proposal to build a second airport on Samui Island. The hearing on March 12 was attended by 342 people _ residents, tourism operators and local officials _ said Kla Manichote, managing director of ABEN Engineering consultancy. About 29% of participants disagreed with the idea for another airport, which could be built in the Thung Na Muang area.

Now the businessmen and resort/hotelowners are desperate to lure Department og Aviation to build a 2. airport on Samui. But these people have made Samui overestablished so in the peak and high season there have been a occopied rate of only 70-80% and they are afraid to loose money.

Also remember that there is a limit of 36 arrival and departur for airplanes according to the Enviromental Department. I belive there also are strickt rules from the international Aviaton Autorities that there must be 25 kilometers between 2 airports.. And there is not enought space on Samui to fulfill these rules.

SUPAPONG CHAOLAN

Well Kla Manichote would say that wouldn't he! :o I don't think that 342 attendees gives a very representative picture of peoples views.

During previous threads on this subject wasn't there a report somewhere from the University of Songkhla saying that a second airport was not necessary and that the environment wouldn't/couldn't support such a development?

Anyway the terrain at the proposed site will hardly allow other than visual approach procedures to be used.

If Samui needs a longer runway then the existing runway could be lengthened by infilling to the North into the bay at Ban Rak.

It's been done in other countries many times before.

If Samui needs a longer runway then the existing runway could be lengthened by infilling to the North into the bay at Ban Rak.

Forget it, we have a holiday home right there and my wife will not sell the land to the Airport authorities! They should infill Chaweng Bay right to the Ark Bar :o

Now the businessmen and resort/hotelowners are desperate to lure Department og Aviation to build a 2. airport on Samui. But these people have made Samui overestablished so in the peak and high season there have been a occopied rate of only 70-80% and they are afraid to loose money.

Also remember that there is a limit of 36 arrival and departur for airplanes according to the Enviromental Department. I belive there also are strickt rules from the international Aviaton Autorities that there must be 25 kilometers between 2 airports.. And there is not enought space on Samui to fulfill these rules.

Hey Mr Gatorade have you nothing to say about Blackwolf's comment about the limit of 36 flights per day. I seem to remember you jumping down my throat and telling me I was wrong,some time ago when I suggested there was a limit on the number of movements on Samui I had thought it was around 34 - but you had read the AIP so I was obviously wrong!

Forget it, we have a holiday home right there and my wife will not sell the land to the Airport authorities! They should infill Chaweng Bay right to the Ark Bar :D

I strongly disagree. :o

I suggest to buy more of those disappeared Sea-Planes and have them land on Chaweng lake, next to the Reggae Pub.

LaoPo

Forget it, we have a holiday home right there and my wife will not sell the land to the Airport authorities! They should infill Chaweng Bay right to the Ark Bar :D

I strongly disagree. :o

I suggest to buy more of those disappeared Sea-Planes and have them land on Chaweng lake, next to the Reggae Pub.

LaoPo

CIt was a seriously considered option. Just a tad short for a decent payload.

Surely a larger airport open to all carriers would increase tourist development to the point that a properly engineered road network with concomitant drainage, both for run off and waste management, would then ensue?

I know the cynics will scream their usual refrain but one must accept eventually that even the Thai will see the sense of it.

I suggest to buy more of those disappeared Sea-Planes and have them land on Chaweng lake, next to the Reggae Pub

That would have had to much impact on the local fishing industry. :o

:D

LaoPo

The size of the current airport is not the problem it is perfectly adequate.

The extortionate prices Bangkok Airways are able to charge, simply because they have a monopoly, are the problem. Nowhere in the modern world are monopolies allowed to exist because they are unfair and unjust.

The only answer to a monopoly is competition. Unfortunately that means another airport on Samui, as the nearest competition in surratthani is just not a practical option.

I personally fly the route around 30 times per year. I could not care less about the quaint gardens or the boutique airport, if thats what the holiday makers want let them pay for it. I just want to get to Samui for a reasonable fair price and I suspect the many Thai's who are simply priced out of flying to Samui and my fellow regular travellers feel exactly the same.

Bring on the new airport the sooner the better.

Edited by iian23

The extortionate prices Bangkok Airways are able to charge, simply because they have a monopoly, are the problem. Nowhere in the modern world are monopolies allowed to exist because they are unfair and unjust.

The only answer to a monopoly is competition. Unfortunately that means another airport on Samui, as the nearest competition in surratthani is just not a practical option.

I personally fly the route around 30 times per year. I could not care less about the quaint gardens or the boutique airport, if thats what the holiday makers want let them pay for it. I just want to get to Samui for a reasonable fair price and I suspect the many Thai's who are simply priced out of flying to Samui and my fellow regular travellers feel exactly the same.

Sorry for you but it will not happen, ever.

LaoPo

LaoPo

Oh yes it will, thank goodness :o

LaoPo

No, it won't :D (and I hope so); don't worry the hearing and stuff is just to break the monopoly of BKK Airways, which would be good.

LaoPo

This very comprehensive opinion on a 2nd airport for Samui in today's Bangkok Post summs up the facts pretty well IMO. Wouldn't it be great if at least the western part of the island could be spared from too much concrete for some more time? I think everybody would profit from that, except maybe some landowners and construction companies. Though I totally agree with previous posters about monopolistic prices of Bangkok Airway's Samui flights.

Edited by longtom

LaoPo

No, it won't :D (and I hope so); don't worry the hearing and stuff is just to break the monopoly of BKK Airways, which would be good.

LaoPo

Seems the new airport plan has been totally rejected by the residents. (Samui Express April 4).

Residents are finally waking up to the fact that a new airport will devastate a large area of forest and destroy

much fauna and flora and only bring dubious benefits. If the report is accurate then many of the greedy speculators hoping for a quick Baht will be upset..good! INMHO it seems from all the welter of discussion that has gone before, that the main support for a new airport stems from a desire by many people to take a snipe at Bangkok Airways and their perceived monopoly irrespective of the consequences.

This very comprehensive opinion on a 2nd airport for Samui in today's Bangkok Post summs up the facts pretty well IMO. Wouldn't it be great if at least the western part of the island could be spared from too much concrete for some more time? I think everybody would profit from that, except maybe some landowners and construction companies. Though I totally agree with previous posters about monopolistic prices of Bangkok Airway's Samui flights.

Just seen it! It is an excellent, well put together article. One can only hope that it might make people think.

if we had a second airport then planes taking off for test flights from the first one could land in the new one in case they had an emergency. and will not need to go all the way to Singapore :o

:D:D

post-13995-1207583716_thumb.jpg (for the ones with short memories..... :D )

Nevertheless...isn't it a dream, to fly out with your Lady, for lunch, champagne, oysters, and a nap ?? hmmmmm.....aaarrrchh :D

LaoPo

if we had a second airport then planes taking off for test flights from the first one could land in the new one in case they had an emergency. and will not need to go all the way to Singapore :o

Highdiver; Good try at getting the old seaplane issue back into the thread! :D :D But I don't get your logic. How would a second airport help when the original departure airport was wide open? (unless there was a Cessna Maintenance centre there)

I thought that the reasons for going to Sin (whether valid or not) had already been done to death on this forum. :D

Couldn't agree more with this conclusion quoted from that article

Surely, slowing development to resolve existing problems before they completely get out of control would be the wisest choice.

Conclusion: It appears there will be no problem raising funds (to the tune of 2 billion baht) to build a new airport. A concerted effort to address and deal with many of the problems plaguing Samui today would cost a lot less. The present dispute over the new airport should be seen as an opportunity to re-examine Samui's present state of development. Instead of more indiscriminate development and building, the island urgently needs visionary planning based on sustainable tourism concepts.

We should not allow this beautiful island to become another victim of short-sighted and destructive, big-money politics. Efficient solutions to the island's present problems, the long-term effect on limited natural resources and ultimate sustainability should be carefully considered before any more development takes place.

Highdiver; Good try at getting the old seaplane issue back into the thread! :D :D But I don't get your logic. How would a second airport help when the original departure airport was wide open? (unless there was a Cessna Maintenance centre there)

I thought that the reasons for going to Sin (whether valid or not) had already been done to death on this forum. :D

Didn't you notice his: :D ? He was clearly joking with his 'second airport'.

That was, at least, my own impression.

LaoPo

LaoPo

Of course, it's just that that there are newcomers reading the forum every day who may not "get it" and off we go again! :D

LaoPo

Of course, it's just that that there are newcomers reading the forum every day who may not "get it" and off we go again! :D

Gator.

I was only joking. don't take this thread so seriously. :D

LaoPo

Of course, it's just that that there are newcomers reading the forum every day who may not "get it" and off we go again! B)

Gator.

Sorry! Guess I'm wound up about the 2nd airport. :D

LaoPo

Gator.

Sorry highdiver,but I do take this thread seriously. B)

Edited by Rooo