OLD price: 500 Baht/night

(10 rooms are discount at 450)

New 600 (discount 550)

Yes, this

bugs me...as I have stayed with them faithfully every vacation

for the last 4 years..Their buffet is good and they generally have a

pleasant staff and large clean rooms.

To their credit they did post a letter for guests saying they had no choice

but I was hoping that they could have gone a little more slowly.

They must be really struggling..their new sign says 550 but that is just the ten discount

rooms..they can't even tell the truth...

Sadly, in this price range their is nothing on 2nd road(or 3rd) that doesn't smell

like cat piss :o

I will however consider Jomtien..

So you stayed there for the past 4 years at 450baht and now AFTER 4 YEARS its risen to 550baht.

You must be crying in your beer about fuel costs, airline ticket, cinema, food, taxis etc etc

Prices go up, thats all there is to it. take a look on 2nd and 3rd road and see the huge amount of development going on - it was never gonna get any CHEAPER!

Yes the famous Apex of the buffet and budget traveller almost directly behind

Mike Shopping has been hit by the economy:

OLD price: 500 Baht/night

(10 rooms are discount at 450)

New 600 (discount 550)

Yes, this

bugs me...as I have stayed with them faithfully every vacation

for the last 4 years..

It bugs you they put up the price after 4 years (or more) at the same rate?

I was surprised that you went 4 years without an increase. Do you live in the real world? Prices always increase there - it's called inflation.

I remember that.... It was 250 when the new building was being built... I think that was about 1992. That was $10 then, and now it is, at 550 baht, $17.74, so an increase of 77% over 16 years or 7.3% inflation rate.

The rooms are awful. There are better quality ones all over the place for 500 baht. The idiots will keep coming though because it's mentioned on Stickman (and Lonely Planet?).

Sorry but I am going to have call you on this - please name one.

And I mean on road 2 or 3 , not in the boondocks...

I am no fan of the lonely planet(they don't get Pattaya)

but in this case I will stand by my claim that for BUDGET rooms these are

very good. Try getting that in Bangkok(the white orchid at 600 comes close in NaNa).

You want a real dump , look at Ko Samui(sp) road in Bangkok

or try anywhere in Seoul(haha, not a chance)

I get the feeling there are some people here who, having retired, have forgotten

the simpler things in life...a clean room, bright, fridge no smells and not a

friendly roach ever seen....

But yes, take the marble floor room if you can as rugs tend to get shabby...

And yes for those smart enough to read between the lines you may have noticed I was

more venting than really complaining...

-sig: I am BugJackBaron.....a new social critic in Pattaya..

Wow, a whopping 100 Baht more per night!!

A 100 baht increase for a dump is a lot of money.

It was 250 when I first started going there.

Me too and it was considered a good value mid-range hotel then!

Now its a budget hotel at twice the price.

Since I've started grumbling about inflation I should probably mention that when I were a lad I could get the bus into town, a cinema ticket, a couple of pints in the local, and still have enough change from a shiny thrupeeny bit to buy a decent 3 bed semi with an indoor lavvy!

Wow, a whopping 100 Baht more per night!!

A 100 baht increase for a dump is a lot of money.

It was 250 when I first started going there.

Aaaaaah, so it was you who trashed the rooms in the early days. :o

Now the place is a dog kennel, and smells like it too.

I stayed one night in the joint many years ago when they first opened the new, front block. The air-con unit in the window rattled all night and didn't work properly, the sheets had holes in them and the bed was uncomfortable. I moved out first thing the next morning.

For their asking price, you can do much better in many other nearby hotels.

The rooms are awful. There are better quality ones all over the place for 500 baht. The idiots will keep coming though because it's mentioned on Stickman (and Lonely Planet?).

Top Thai Hotel between 2nd Road and Walking Street - 500 baht.

Queen Victoria Inn, Soi 6 - 500 baht.

Both new or recently refurbished.

That's 2, there are many more.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I will stand by my claim that for BUDGET rooms these are very good. Try getting that in Bangkok(the white orchid at 600 comes close in NaNa).

Does the White Orchid have a swimming pool or English TV? Never heard of it. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Do they have swimming pools and English TV? :o

They both have cable TV with all the standard channels. Swimming pool in Walking Street or Soi 6... no. In any case would you trust a budget hotel to properly maintain a swimming pool?

I will stand by my claim that for BUDGET rooms these are very good. Try getting that in Bangkok(the white orchid at 600 comes close in NaNa).

No pool :D but I find that, at least in the dry season, Bangkok doesn't really need one..but maybe

that's just me..

English TV sure, ...It's located in the street just behind A1 Steakhouse(closed since last year)

which is on that street from nana complex.. They actually have 3 branches..

Ok I will check those out, I had a rather good burger in Victoria Inn last week so

that may be a good sign.

Edited by BugJackBaron

They both have cable TV with all the standard channels. Swimming pool in Walking Street or Soi 6... no. In any case would you trust a budget hotel to properly maintain a swimming pool?

Wow, I still can't believe the germaphobic paranoia I see in foreigners...you want pristine water?

Please don't set a foot down in the sea anywhere around here then..there will be a lot more

germs than any pool in Pattaya..Find a glacier somewhere :D

The pool is well maintained and clean..no smells and is even has a jacuzzi...

As for sheets having holes and other stuff..well I have been coming to Apex for years

and have only noticed the tiniest holes(at the end of the sheets) if at all..

For me the important thing is a firm bed, which it has. I have stayed in places from 800 to 1200

baht in Pattaya and Bangkok and believe me you don't always get what you pay for..

No pool :D but I find that, at least in the dry season, Bangkok doesn't really need one..but maybe

that's just me..

English TV sure, ...It's located in the street just behind A1 Steakhouse(closed since last year)

which is on that street from nana complex.. They actually have 3 branches..

I'm really huge and fat, but I make sure to swim at least 40 minutes per day when away from the health club. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems as if I am healthier for it. :D

many years ago i was stuck for a night at apex. it was dire. dirty rattling a/c, stocked mini bar (scam)

apex is a real scrot hole - but wildly popular and im not at all shocked when i know the sorts coming to pattay these years.

I remember that.... It was 250 when the new building was being built... I think that was about 1992. That was $10 then, and now it is, at 550 baht, $17.74, so an increase of 77% over 16 years or 7.3% inflation rate.

It really depends on what currency you're using and when you make the calculations.

If it was $10 in 1992, then in 2003 when the US dollar was about 43 (or more) the rate was about the same. No inflation in 11 years!

Nah, comparing with that stupid currency, the USD :o one baht is exactly one baht, no more no less.

I began staying at the Palm Lodge, now Twin Palm Lodge in 1990 at 500B, last year it was 800B and they were renovating the wing near the swimming pool. I will stay there again later this month and wonder how the price will go up this year.

Price increases are part of life whist I got unemployable after an accident in 2000. Suffice to note that my income does NOT increase with inflation due to insurance policy (bastards). So every time something gets more expensive, the less I enjoy it, can you understand that???

After reading this tread, I find most replies are from european frang, my gawd, talk about cheap charlies. the amercan dollars has fallen so badly, but I love the LOS and will pay what is needed. Come on you cheap basxxds.. STOP your whinning..