Explaining Thailand Experiences Etc

siamsam

Same here gisele,

When i was 21 i worked as a waiter on a cruiseship. I started in hawai, 3 months alaska and canada, 5 months in asia everywhere.

When i wanted to tell about my divers adventures the only small minded question i got was always

"How much money did you make ? "

I gave up telling after 2 weeks.

I only explain LOS now to future tourists (booked ticket) or soon to be married farang , so they know some of the pittfals.

Two mates of mine have dated or married a thai lady recently. One of them hasn't been in thailand yet and still is in denial that he spends to much money for papers ect :o

The other one has just returned , and realizes his culture shock as well now :D

I know what you mean! My husband and I will be retiring here in a bit over a year. Just got the house.

Whenever he tells a coworker of his retirement plans, they are shocked. They cannot visualize anything other than a grass hut down a rutted muddy handcart lane as Thai housing. And who wants to retire to a grass shack?

The US has an amazingly ethnocentric world view. No other place in the world could possibly be as great as the US, right? So most will not ever consider living anywhere else. Who wants to go to someplace so backwards as a Third World country?

We don't even try to explain. We invite them to visit, knowing they will not. (For one thing, they don't know how to get a passport!) It keeps paradise from getting too crowded...

I know what you mean! My husband and I will be retiring here in a bit over a year. Just got the house.

Whenever he tells a coworker of his retirement plans, they are shocked. They cannot visualize anything other than a grass hut down a rutted muddy handcart lane as Thai housing. And who wants to retire to a grass shack?

The US has an amazingly ethnocentric world view. No other place in the world could possibly be as great as the US, right? So most will not ever consider living anywhere else. Who wants to go to someplace so backwards as a Third World country?

We don't even try to explain. We invite them to visit, knowing they will not. (For one thing, they don't know how to get a passport!) It keeps paradise from getting too crowded...

I live in florida and we just ad a few hurricanes there are places underwater maybe a few feet I was watching a news report that this one community the people in charge told the people not to use the toilets because of the flooding it may back up into the house if the toilet is flushed too much, Well one lady was surprised because they brought portable toilets in for the people to use.

She said this " Wow this is surprising Makes me think I live in a third world country" I wish i knew where she lived I would show her how thais use and what they use for a toilet

If this same lady came to thailand she would be outraged and would not know what to do

Sometimes i think it's the person's mentality that is third world.

Well one lady was surprised because they brought portable toilets in for the people to use.

She said this " Wow this is surprising Makes me think I live in a third world country"

Sometimes i think it's the person's mentality that is third world.

You are so right! Americans simply have no clue.

Personally, I predict Thailand will lose its status as a third world country in a couple more decades. I see the beginnings of a solid middle class, and class upward mobility existing, albeit limited. And that, my friends, is the hallmark of an industrialized nation.

It's certainly not the elimination of poverty. There are still parts of the US where people live without electricity and running water. There are homeless people in every large metropolis. Frankly, I see the US heading TOWARD third world status. Bush is doing his best to eliminate the middle class and class upward mobility.

Personally, I predict Thailand will lose its status as a third world country in a couple more decades.

I think it already has in most cases.

What defines 3rd world? Lack of electricity, clean drinking water, food, plumbing, health care, and at least a little money to buy these things?? Am I right??

Sure I've seen some tin shacks down by the river and in some remote villages, and these might qualify as 3rd world. Then again, most people have at least the above readily available (along with cell phones, motorbikes, etc.).

At the very least, this puts them into 2nd world or developing nation class, and for many in the city, it's practically a 1st world existence.

Back to the topic of the thread, though, I think it is easy for people in Western and advanced Asian countries to view Thailand as a 3rd world country. IMHO, that is just another false impression.

I have lost some friends since I moved to Asia/Thailand. Same as mentioned already, got fed up with being asked when I was returning to Taiwan and how I could survive on eating rice everyday; and realised previously very good friends couldn't relate to me anymore. But there are others, who are very interested and I got a reputation for my annual travellog video of my adventures.

... most people have at least the above readily available (along with cell phones, motorbikes, etc.).

At the very least, this puts them into 2nd world or developing nation class, and for many in the city, it's practically a 1st world existence.....

I know Thailand is a constitutional monarchy, but doesn't the quality of the government (and police?) also count towards third/second/first world status?

Let me get this straight...The USA is third world and Thailand is not.....enlightening. And Bush is responsible for it? This sound like a late night comedy channel in the US.

Yes I to thought that was rich . I want some of what she's drinking :o

My friends and family seem completely disinterested in Los and my life here. Kind of sad I think. But, I don't push it. If they genuinely ask, I will give info. But I have yet to get legitimate interest about Thailand from anyone. I don't know what to think about it, other than disappointment.

This has been a frequent problem with me too. And totally unexpected. Some folks just aren't interested in different lands, different ways of living. Very common reaction to the older generation.

It can also be a drag telling stories to other travel oriented friends who don't think Thailand is any great shakes any more -- far too westernized, dont' you know?

Talking about Spain ...i did all my entire high school there and lived there for almost 8 years. Would you be shocked if i told you that 60% of the kids in 8th grade couldn't point out their own country on the map? Some of them even placed it as far away as Australia or the US. Totally freaked me out. :o