Chumphon To Phuket

Big A

Hi all

Although I have driven from Bangkok to Chumphon many many times, I am not sure of the best route from Chumphon to Phuket.

Basically, I can see 2 main ways:

1. From Chumphon, down the main 41 route (to Hat Yai), and then turn right at Phunpin/Suratthani junction and through Phanom on the 401.

2. From Chumphon, go along the windy route 4 via Ranong.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Big A

PS This has also been posted in the Phuket Forum as well.

Hi all

Although I have driven from Bangkok to Chumphon many many times, I am not sure of the best route from Chumphon to Phuket.

1. From Chumphon, down the main 41 route (to Hat Yai), and then turn right at Phunpin/Suratthani junction and through Phanom on the 401.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Big A

I've done both, but not recently. It probably depends on current road conditions. Surat to Phangnga goes past Khao Sok NP if that's a consideration. I think if I were going to do a drive right now, I would go via Ranong.

Hi all

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Big A

I've done both, but not recently. It probably depends on current road conditions. Surat to Phangnga goes past Khao Sok NP if that's a consideration. I think if I were going to do a drive right now, I would go via Ranong.

Ranong is a beautiful drive but it is way way longer, even more so if it is raining. Go straight down the 41 highway til just after Phunpin and then take the road signposted Krabi (I think it is 4011 but can't remember). Long, straight and quiet ... follow it all the way to the end (you actually come out west of Krabi). You have to go left but then take the first U-turn onto Thaput, turn left there and follow all the way to Phangnga and Phuket.

ps: There is a short cut but it's hard to describe if you're not familiar with the area.