Transfere Money

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone can help.

I will be moving out to Thailand in a few weeks. Can anyone advise me of the best way to transfere money out. I am possibly looking to get out around £30,000 to start. I have been told that travellers cheques are a good way. I now only have a building society account in England. They only do travellers cheques up to £2,500 in any 90 day period. The Post Office do not have a limit, but highest denomination cheque is for £100.00 and that means a lot of signing. Travel company fees are to high. Any useful help appreciated. Cheers. jb1

I do have an account with Bank of Bangkok.

Edited by jimbeam1

Get the SWIFT CODE and address of the Bangkok Bank acc. before you come here by E Mail or phone.

Send from your UK acc. in Sterling as said. Not easy to do from Thailand.

Don`t know if building societies work the sme way as banks.

jim go to nationwide, the best deal ive ever had. dont know about 30k in one hit, ive taken 500k bt in one hit many times. depends how quick you need the 30k. even a house dont need 30k in one hit but it may be no problem anyway. ask them.

jim go to nationwide, the best deal ive ever had. dont know about 30k in one hit, ive taken 500k bt in one hit many times. depends how quick you need the 30k. even a house dont need 30k in one hit but it may be no problem anyway. ask them.

Hi egg. I am with the Nation wide and they tell me I can only do 2.500 sterling.

Ask your building society or bank in UK about SWIFT transfers. You need to provide the SWIFT code and account number of your Thai bank account. The fee for sending 30,000 GBP should be in the range 20-30 GBP.

When filling the transfer form, be clear that the transfer should be in GBP (to be converted in THB by the receiving bank in Thailand). Normally there is a box to tick to this effect. Keep a copy of the form in case of dispute later. There are a couple stories on the forum about GBP being changed to THB, then changed again to GBP before being transferred to the Thai bank, resulting in very poor exchange rate.

How do people get though life being so clueless? Is it just me or does anyone else think that anyone contemplating moving here just OUGHT to know about about bank transfers in this day and age?

The reason we put posts on forums is to get information on matters that we are not familar with.

jb1

How do people get though life being so clueless? Is it just me or does anyone else think that anyone contemplating moving here just OUGHT to know about about bank transfers in this day and age?

The reason we put posts on forums is to get information on matters that we are not familar with.

jb1

Yeah benix you (Rude Word Should go here) I know how to make money and spend money as for all the wired transfer in between currency converting PayPal sucking blood bullsh!t I had to ask few times on this forum.

As for you jimbeam1 when will you be walking thou customs with 10K ponds strapped in a suite case?

Joke joke!!!

Peace.

My friend. you sound like a nice person . For this I am prepared to do you a good favours. You can transfer you funds into my bank account and I will meet you in Mcdonalds after you arrive in Thailand. My bank is the Bank of Lagos. Account name My Ungogo. I am thinking I should maybe PM you the rest of my details as there are many crooked peoples out there.

Many thank you.

Mr Ungogo

send , say 10,000 pounds to begin with via SWIFT to BKK Bank . And get a Tor Tor Sam ( foreign exchange document - which becomes necessary if at a later date you need to use the money for a condo purchase or else return the money to the UK ) Then send the remainder in equal portions - reason , i may be wrong and it wouldn;t be the first time , but there are limitations on how much cash you can import into Thailand in one go. The government may 'impound' some of it if you breach the limit . Regards

Edited by Ray1167

hi brndix, we all are clueless on somethings, present company excluded. i like you was a very black and white person in another life. being such you must always be right. the hole in your comment is that thai banks know didly squat ref banking. they do seem to be getting better by the year though, so if banks dont know why not the punters. gear brain drive??.

Hi egg. I am with the Nation wide and they tell me I can only do 2.500 sterling.

jb, ive been in and out of los for years, lived here for quite a few, traveled s.e.a. in that time. built rented rooms and house, and various other projects. just converted 500k bt = 8kpds ish. never been squeesed for cash, except when i havent had it. so the nation/w statement is wrong in my expierience. some of my last withdrawals were in nov/dec so up to date. just go into a bank with the debit card and ask for what you want, cash over the counter, normaly 20mins, sometimes 1hr . its easier now than it was a couple of years ago, as the banks are starting to have a little customer care. but i could write a short story on some of the banks ive been in , as i say they seem to be up to the job these days. by the way ive never used any other way to bring money over. and never bring more than i need per deal. n/w the way to go.

send , say 10,000 pounds to begin with via SWIFT to BKK Bank . And get a Tor Tor Sam ( foreign exchange document - which becomes necessary if at a later date you need to use the money for a condo purchase or else return the money to the UK ) Then send the remainder in equal portions - reason , i may be wrong and it wouldn;t be the first time , but there are limitations on how much cash you can import into Thailand in one go. The government may 'impound' some of it if you breach the limit . Regards

Ah that is interesting. As I have just sent 25k to my BKK account via Nationwide.

Next question does anyone know the cash limit plus how do I get an Tor Tor Sam. Just user friendly answers please.

Cheers jb1