Pvc Pump Tubes, High Pressure Waterguns Banned For Songkran

george

I for one don't want to be the first farang in Thailand to be busted with camo shorts and a water gun. :o This holiday in Bangkok was once thought to have powerful meaning to the Thai people. Now it is an all out war. This is the one holiday that a young Thai can take out all the pent up dislike of farangs in general. They like nothing better than to throw disease laden wanter on any white face. A some ice and they like it all the better. Farangs are considered the people that have stuff and this is their chance to ruin whatever property the uninformed thoughtlessly carry with them.

Then there are the farangs that plan a three day water gun war where their antics would land them in jail for assault in any developed country. These are for the most part tattooed drunks with shaved heads that for the most part were unable to finish comprehensive school before their first stint in jail. They can be further recognized by aiming first at women breasts or crotch then at anyone who ventures into the kill zone with something dry. They do their best work when they run out onto the roadways and open unlocked car doors of vehicles stopped in traffic and soak the everyone inside.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.
If you don't have underwater housing forget it, I also wear swim goggles, as of one year, I almost lost one eye, don't bring any thing that you don/t want under water, unless u at least use double zip-loc-bags, smile and don't get angry, bring 10s, 20s and 100s,

Not 1000 baht bills, no body has change, And a spare water gun, they always brake before you do, In most areas they stop in around 3 days, Jomtien, Pattaya ride it to the dirt and keep you wet for at least a week, wash off when ever you can, most of the toxic water can cause ear or eye infection, It used to be fun, now it is fun and dangerous, beware of pick pockets, batten down the hatch, have a great time, remember your A B Cs, Always Be Cool, May health and happiness be with us all.

Koto, Keeper of the ocean

PS, If your going to be walking around remember there will be more Drunk or Druged, motorcycle riders and car drivers then any other time in your life, Sorry to shot you in the foot, But if your going to run with the dogs, be ready to play hard, or play it safe and stay on the porch. Koto, Run with Dog, Dance with Shark, Soar with Eagle, Carpe-Diem, "The life of the people is in the land", Take care of it. It is up to you to what kind of world you want to wake up to each day.

Thank Buddah that i don't live in the city!!

I can stock up for 'the duration' and minimize my exposure to the insanity, but the Thai wife and kids love to 'play da naam' and I can't refuse them...in fact, I'll join in for an hour or so throwing water at passing motorcycles on our country road, just far enough outside of CM to where they still 'play fair' and polite.

This year in CM and i think other parts of the north, we are experiencing an extreme drought and there is only stagnent poluted water left in the normally flowing poluted klongs, so I will insist on showers with antibacterial soap upon return form the battle.

Having 'survived' a decade of songkrans and seeing them get more and more violent and agressive from both Thais and falangs, I now choose to watch the insanity on tv and play gently in the country.

Even out here in the country, I still witness a smaller amount of insanity, mostly on the roads with buckets being thrown full force in the face of motorcyclests with 3 or 4 passengers on board. It's still hard for me to justify this reckless behaviour just for the 'sake of sanook', but Thais do many insane things for the 'sake of sanook'.

Hey it's April, it's Hot and it's only Water. Put your valuables in a zip lock plastic bag and go out and enjoy the fun. Too many party poopers on this thread. Here are some pics of Songkran at Pattaya last year. No one through water on my camera but make sure you carry it in a plastic bag when not in use as collateral damage is possible.

http://picasaweb.google.co.th/Rdrokit/Songkran

I've been to the village for the past few years, and MOST of the time it's great fun, the kids are really enjoying themselves, the adults are having a bit of fun with the kids, nobody is causing any real problems. Then when it's "party" day in the village it gets a bit more out of hand .......... why? Coz all the "big kids" (teenagers upwards) are drinking beer. Thai teens (and most others) are unable to drink Alcohol without getting drunk, they don't have that instinct that tells you to stop when you get tipsey (also lacking in many westerners and can be seen on a regular basis in most Pattaya bars!).

Years ago Songkran was (if I am informed correctly) a gentle day where people took a handful of flower scented water from a bowl and poured it over your neck whilst you thanked them with a smile for cooling you down. That was in the time when people didn't drink (It was against the teachings of Buddha and nobody could afford to buy it anyway). The world has moved on, and so must we all (Xmas shopping 50 yrs ago to Xmas shopping now!!). If you don't like what Songkran has become...... stay in (bahhhh humbug Mr Scrouge!!!!), If you wan't to enjoy yourselves, hook up with a few friends/family and go out and have fun.

I'm ready to stock the motor up with beer and head off for some fun .

For all you expats and tourists who hate it so much. Simply stay indoors, or on your porch or in your sala.

I love this forum. :o

You see, it's not that simple at all. On the contrary.

Staying indoors 7 days in Pattaya is MUCH too long. (Been there, done that.) What if you run out of beer? But more seriously you usually have some business you need to go out and take care of. Maybe you even have a job. And you may have a medical appointment or emergency.

Practically speaking, you really have to leave Thailand or find a town here where you need stay inside only 1 or 2 days and the rest of the week living normally while you wait for the miserable finish of Songkran in Pattaya.

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.

If you value your SLR leave it at home, or find yourself a safe balcony or window somewhere. If you are determined to take some pics, carry your camera in a plastic bag. Actually in my early days here some years back I managed to get some decent photos by standing with my back to a wall well away from the danger areas, and using zoom. However, with the lunatics (usually farangs) around nowadays firing/throwing water indiscriminantly, including at moving vehicles, I don't chance it.

Your dead wrong 'newby' louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $ and make fools of you....5555, the laugh is on you stupid falang who will be a primary target in the free for all. better stock up on your antibiotics!!!!

Please just chill out, you make me feel like cutting my wrists. Why blame it on the tourists. I live in Dusit and there aren't ANY tourists around here just Thais having fun. Poor you barricaded in hope you find something to occupy yourself while lots of Thais and Farangs get together for some fun.

PVC pump tubes, high pressure waterguns banned for Songkran

BANGKOK: -- Excessive and intrusive waterspray attacking has become popular among some and hated by many during Thailand's annual Songkran Festival, the sale of high-pressure waterguns or PVC pumpguns has been prohibited for Songkran, according to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB).

OCPB Secretary General Rasamee Vistaveth warned that the companies who produced or imported such equipment as well as shops offered such toys should be aware that waterguns have been banned under OCPB regulations.

Using modified waterguns such as the PVC pump tube which produces high water pressure, or other high pressure equipment, could cause serious injury to others, she said, adding that spraying water with such toys at people driving moving vehicles such as motorcycles and cars may cause serious accidents.

Manufacturers in violation of the ban can be fined no more than Bt500,000, or face a maximum five year jail term, while sellers face a maximum fine of 50,000 baht or six months imprisonment, she said.

Members of the public can call the 1166 hotline if they see vendors illegally selling the banned water guns, Mrs. Rasame said.

The Songkran New Year water festival is regarded as one of Thailand's the most important traditions and the OCPB encouraged the public to stick to the more polite Thai traditions of splashing water respectfully when celebrating Songkran.

Songkran is the traditional Thai New Year's festival. It falls on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every April. The government has declared the festival as an extended public holiday, to enable people to return to their hometowns for family reunions, merit-making and reuniting with others in their community.

--TNA 2008-04-04

:o Absoluately welcome that prohibition during Songkran. It has been causing too much accidents in the past. :D:D

100% they will fire at you, camera or not. Leave it at home. In fact, stay at home.

I have to disagree with your 100%. Last year I took my camera out for part of the day. When the water chuckers came past, I pointed at the camera and they refrained from subjecting me to a soaking. However, that was in Isaan.

just put the 1166 hotline into my mobile phone memory. Will duly report any watergun selling.

Yes, I hate Songkran with a passion and if I can bring any watergun seller 6 months behind bars, I'll do it with pleasure.

Yes, I also admit that I was ready to run over a guy who was aiming at my with a bucket with my motorcycle a couple of years ago. He jumped away in the very last second.

Yes, before that I was hit on my motorcycle with a bucket full of water from a pick-up while I was going about 80 km/h. NB, this happened one day before the official start on my way back from work.

On my very first Songkran 11 years ago I thought about joining the fun and brought my SLR camera to town (Bangkok those days). After realizing that this is WW III breaking loose, I took a taxi home. Just in front of my door, my SLR (and me) got soaked from the neighbourhood Thais.

Sorry, I cannot see the fun part of it.

Last Songkran I survived without any drop of water hitting me. This year again, will stock up frozen pizza and try to survive indoors.

My greatest wish at this time of year is for a massive rain storm, lasting the 7 days of songkran and saving so many lives on the roads and infections of the eyes/ears etc...

Help me pray for much needed rain up here in the north!!!!

SONGKRAN IS NO FUN IN PATTAYA.

POLLUTED WATER CREATS EYE AND EAR INFECTIONS AND HIGH POWER WATER GUNS CAUSE INJURY.

eVEN MY OLD MATES SEEM TO THINK ITS FUNNY USING A HIGH POWER GUN ON SOME GIRLS BREASTS OR CROTCH.I FIND THIS SO INSANE AND IMMATURE.RID PATTAYA OF THESE DICKHEADS AND I MIGHT ENJOY IT.

Good to see that at least some Thai has realized it has gotten out of hands - like the UK hooligan phenomenon.

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun and in fact Songkran water splashing is a wonderful event and should be encouraged. But there are always those who take things to the extremes, like having pillow fights and progressing onto bricks.

With everything there is an idiot minority that spoil things for everyone else resulting in the controlling of these events.

As for Chiang Mai, social, and nightlife has already been eroded to an extent that banning water guns won't make a lot of difference.

Edited by distortedlink

They banned Guy Fawkes day (cracker night) in a couple of countries cause it got out of hand and you can't buy fireworks without a license. I have enjoyed Songkran in Patong and Sakon Nahkon probably the later more but I didn't see much difference in the insanity. Perhaps a little more weariness and politeness in Isaan. Kids enjoy it and it's a good time to "rekindle" your youth. Commonsense is the key I guess and I don't know the answer to that in any culture. I was surprised to learn of its earlier inseption however as I thought SONGKRAN actually meant WAR, maybe I was wrong. Love it hate it tollerate it, it is Thailand. There are always idiots that spoil it for everyone else, I enjoyed Guy Fawkes when I was a kid and my boys have never experienced it, good or bad ? I live here because I hated the over regulation and you have to take the good with the bad, can't have it both ways. If you don't like it do what you must I guess. I do think it should have the "official" time line enforced however, 3 days is long enough (maybe too long). Are the water guns banned completly or just for the festival? Seems silly, they are either safe or they're not. It's OK to lose an eye as long as it's not in Songkran Hmmm..... Obviously throwing water at moving traffic (motorcycles) is asking for trouble, once again commonsense and lack of enforcement are the real problems.

Enjoy, either get wet on the outside or the inside or stay dry, it too shall pass. :o

Remember it's all good fun till someone gets hurt (then it's bloody hilarious)...opps (sarcasam) :D

Edited by RigPig

As every year Songkrahn will be war with a lot of streetfights. As in every war everybody will have to suffer. The only good thing about this war is that we all know when it's over. Can't wait for the 21st of April. :o

Rant Starts. :D

I frequently read the posts in this forum, but infrequently reply.

Why are there so many angry, bitter people in this forum? Are most of you retirees with nothing better to do than sit in front of your PCs and whinge?

Some point out that Thais seem to be anti-farang. Can't you get it, that when some of you degrade this country and its people with such drivel that of course there will be elements of society that despise you. It's a two-way street folks.

When you head back to your hotel or condo with a hooker on your arms, sure that makes the Thais think good of you! When you publicly berate staff in restaurants, or any other place, you look like a fool. But yet...I see this too often. The arrogant farang who knows best and cocks two fingers at this society. Would you be doing the same back home? Of course not. (if you do, that's another kettle of fish altogether).

What a sham that some of you profess to know Thai culture and the Thai physche inside out when your arrogant postings point to decidely clear cases of ignorance. I recommend you go and pick up a copy of 'Thai Ways' authored by Denis Segaller. This chap lived here for nearly 40 years and still couldn't figure it out. But he tried to with a degree of dignity and patience and didn't degrade your hosts in the process. And no, I do not profess to know any better than anyone else, but I do know it's wrong to slander a culture like so many of you do.

Have any of you been to orphanges, temples or shelters and tried to make a difference? 'Aiding' the Thai bar beer girl (or boy) doesn't make merit surprise, surprise. How many of you have tried to make a difference to the less fortunate in your neighbourhood. Or do you spend too much time in front of the telly drinking beer and then wonder why your neighbours attack you with such abandon over Songkran?

Those of who are planning to celebrate Songkran in mocked disguises of thuggery (50 gallon barrels on the back of your truck, pressure shots at breasts and crotches or threatening to run down people with your motrocycles), where were you when God was handing out brains?

There are some shameful posts in here and, I hope, are not representative of most of us guests of this country.

That'll do me for the next year. Let's see how fires are lit under people's bottoms now. Rant stops. Phew! :o

SONGKRAN IS NO FUN IN PATTAYA.

POLLUTED WATER CREATS EYE AND EAR INFECTIONS AND HIGH POWER WATER GUNS CAUSE INJURY.

eVEN MY OLD MATES SEEM TO THINK ITS FUNNY USING A HIGH POWER GUN ON SOME GIRLS BREASTS OR CROTCH.I FIND THIS SO INSANE AND IMMATURE.RID PATTAYA OF THESE DICKHEADS AND I MIGHT ENJOY IT.

Using all capital letters is like a high pressure gun to our eyes.

Your .....wrong ....... louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $$ and make fools of you....5555, .......................

I came here in 1988 and I didn't see any tourist riding around in pickup trucks throwing water and few if any even owned one. Nice try to try and blame this on us tourist but just go where there aren't any tourist and its still madness in the streets.

Heh heh- no water guns eh?

That's ok- we've already got the 50 gallon drum that we'll put in the back of the pick-up. How will the poor pedestrians fight back if the powers that be take away they're little squirt guns?! It's gonna be a massacre! Ha ha ha!!! :o

Throwing or spraying water from moving vehicles is outlawed this year and you can expect similar fines to the water guns, also throwing water bags or ice is outlawed.

all this, just to amuse the tourist and bring them up to CM

It's not just Chiang Mai. I will as usual stock up with food and drink and let the poor unfortunates who have to go on the streets get colds, flu, eye infections, ear infections and - for some - dead. Happy New Year. RIP.

Yeah same insanity,stay safe chok dee,to those who go out,and sorry to say this,but farangs on holiday worst offenders at causing mayhem :o

Visit Petch Buri....its worse and there's no tourist.

Rant Starts. :D

I frequently read the posts in this forum, but infrequently reply.

Why are there so many angry, bitter people in this forum? Are most of you retirees with nothing better to do than sit in front of your PCs and whinge?

Some point out that Thais seem to be anti-farang. Can't you get it, that when some of you degrade this country and its people with such drivel that of course there will be elements of society that despise you. It's a two-way street folks.

When you head back to your hotel or condo with a hooker on your arms, sure that makes the Thais think good of you! When you publicly berate staff in restaurants, or any other place, you look like a fool. But yet...I see this too often. The arrogant farang who knows best and cocks two fingers at this society. Would you be doing the same back home? Of course not. (if you do, that's another kettle of fish altogether).

What a sham that some of you profess to know Thai culture and the Thai physche inside out when your arrogant postings point to decidely clear cases of ignorance. I recommend you go and pick up a copy of 'Thai Ways' authored by Denis Segaller. This chap lived here for nearly 40 years and still couldn't figure it out. But he tried to with a degree of dignity and patience and didn't degrade your hosts in the process. And no, I do not profess to know any better than anyone else, but I do know it's wrong to slander a culture like so many of you do.

Have any of you been to orphanges, temples or shelters and tried to make a difference? 'Aiding' the Thai bar beer girl (or boy) doesn't make merit surprise, surprise. How many of you have tried to make a difference to the less fortunate in your neighbourhood. Or do you spend too much time in front of the telly drinking beer and then wonder why your neighbours attack you with such abandon over Songkran?

Those of who are planning to celebrate Songkran in mocked disguises of thuggery (50 gallon barrels on the back of your truck, pressure shots at breasts and crotches or threatening to run down people with your motrocycles), where were you when God was handing out brains?

There are some shameful posts in here and, I hope, are not representative of most of us guests of this country.

That'll do me for the next year. Let's see how fires are lit under people's bottoms now. Rant stops. Phew! :o

BkkBrit -- congratulations - this is one one of the more intelligent posts i have read for some time - you have said exactly what i was thinking and i did manage to reply to some of the stupid comments posted here on this topic but gave up - too many to to reply to - so again - i wish that there were more people out there with this sort of thinking -- GOOD ONE

SOME OF THESE GUYS SHOULD GO BACK TO THEIR HOME COUNTRIES AND TRY THIS - would end up with some free lodgings for quite a while i would think - and when in Rome - do as the Romans do

I love Songkran, even if i could not celebrate it fo 8 years, because i am always out of the country in April.

I guess there wouldn't be any difference, if farangs are in the country or not. The pump guns would be used anyway. You can't hide it from the children or adults who like to behave like children.

But i worry about the tourists who are not used to ride a bike in thailand, especially on Samui, where i am living 7 month a year.

People who can't enjoy should better stay home and lock the door for 5 days.

Chok dee to everybody who got the chance to celebrate :o

Have Fun, take it easy and enjoy it :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

It's the same on every Songkran thread, a group of whingeing old gits on one side, and a party of generally younger (with a few exceptions) funloving people on the other. It is the biggest holiday of the year in the country that you have decided to visit/ live in, if you don't like it bugger off somewhere else, but stop your bloody moaning.

How would you whiners react to a Thai who came to the UK/ US and constantly moaned about Christmas?

Luckily I still have my pipe squirter from last year, and will be on the lookout for any sad faced moany old grouches to give a good dousing.

It was probably a member of this forum, last year a mid 60's farang squared up to me and threatened me that he had just left his appartment and not to soak him (at about 4pm on 2nd Rd, Pattaya). Naturally I gave him a little squirt on the back as he walked away, and he came back and threatened me again. This time he got a bucket over his head and ran away saying he was going to get the police. What a loser, if he had kept his mouth shut he might have got away with it.