Pvc Pump Tubes, High Pressure Waterguns Banned For Songkran

george

PVC pump tubes, high pressure waterguns banned for Songkran

BANGKOK: -- Excessive and intrusive waterspray attacking has become popular among some and hated by many during Thailand's annual Songkran Festival, the sale of high-pressure waterguns or PVC pumpguns has been prohibited for Songkran, according to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB).

OCPB Secretary General Rasamee Vistaveth warned that the companies who produced or imported such equipment as well as shops offered such toys should be aware that waterguns have been banned under OCPB regulations.

Using modified waterguns such as the PVC pump tube which produces high water pressure, or other high pressure equipment, could cause serious injury to others, she said, adding that spraying water with such toys at people driving moving vehicles such as motorcycles and cars may cause serious accidents.

Manufacturers in violation of the ban can be fined no more than Bt500,000, or face a maximum five year jail term, while sellers face a maximum fine of 50,000 baht or six months imprisonment, she said.

Members of the public can call the 1166 hotline if they see vendors illegally selling the banned water guns, Mrs. Rasame said.

The Songkran New Year water festival is regarded as one of Thailand's the most important traditions and the OCPB encouraged the public to stick to the more polite Thai traditions of splashing water respectfully when celebrating Songkran.

Songkran is the traditional Thai New Year's festival. It falls on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every April. The government has declared the festival as an extended public holiday, to enable people to return to their hometowns for family reunions, merit-making and reuniting with others in their community.

--TNA 2008-04-04

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.

Leave everything at home including wallets and cell phones. Do your filming from a roof top. It'll be every person for theirselves.....a fight to the finish.

A small gesture towards restoring sanity and politeness to an already much abused holiday to amuse the stupid drunken tourists and sanooking Thais is appreciated, but i'll doubt if it will have any effect at this late date....especially when the powers added another day to the insanity.

Another suggestion would be to ban the throwing of full buckets of now stagnant, poluted klong water full force at motorcycles.........all in good fun as the motorcyclist goes down with a kid or 3 on the back.

all this, just to amuse the tourist and bring them up to CM to join in the insanity and spend their tourist $$'s for a few days. never mind the accidents and eye and ear infections that always occur....CM is desparate for that tourist $ at any cost!!

Bah humbug to songkran!!!!

CM and LOS has sold out to the tourist $$!! and forgotten the true tradition of songkran.........

And, why is three new years celebrations necessary?? falang, Chineese and Thai?? one is enough!!

Heh heh- no water guns eh?

That's ok- we've already got the 50 gallon drum that we'll put in the back of the pick-up. How will the poor pedestrians fight back if the powers that be take away they're little squirt guns?! It's gonna be a massacre! Ha ha ha!!! :o

all this, just to amuse the tourist and bring them up to CM

It's not just Chiang Mai. I will as usual stock up with food and drink and let the poor unfortunates who have to go on the streets get colds, flu, eye infections, ear infections and - for some - dead. Happy New Year. RIP.

I just wish they'd ban ice water. All in all, if you find yourself a spot along the street it's a bit of fun to join in. Those that don't like it can stay at home or wear a poncho. There's nothing as fun as a good old water fight, especially when everyone joins in. I park my bike for a few days for safety. Use common sense and enjoy what the Thais have been doing long before we tourist arrived.

A small gesture towards restoring sanity and politeness to an already much abused holiday to amuse the stupid drunken tourists and sanooking Thais is appreciated, but i'll doubt if it will have any effect at this late date....especially when the powers added another day to the insanity.

Another suggestion would be to ban the throwing of full buckets of now stagnant, poluted klong water full force at motorcycles.........all in good fun as the motorcyclist goes down with a kid or 3 on the back.

all this, just to amuse the tourist and bring them up to CM to join in the insanity and spend their tourist $$'s for a few days. never mind the accidents and eye and ear infections that always occur....CM is desparate for that tourist $ at any cost!!

Bah humbug to songkran!!!!

CM and LOS has sold out to the tourist $$!! and forgotten the true tradition of songkran.........

And, why is three new years celebrations necessary?? falang, Chineese and Thai?? one is enough!!

You only mentioned all 3 new years celebrations , Westerners get 1 day off for this , have you not noticed all the other alien holidays celebrated in Thailand , Thais are lazy and will take any excuse for a day off , even at work they watch tv or just loll around most of the day .

PVC pump tubes, high pressure waterguns banned for Songkran

BANGKOK: -- Excessive and intrusive waterspray attacking has become popular among some and hated by many during Thailand's annual Songkran Festival, the sale of high-pressure waterguns or PVC pumpguns has been prohibited for Songkran, according to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB).

OCPB Secretary General Rasamee Vistaveth warned that the companies who produced or imported such equipment as well as shops offered such toys should be aware that waterguns have been banned under OCPB regulations.

Using modified waterguns such as the PVC pump tube which produces high water pressure, or other high pressure equipment, could cause serious injury to others, she said, adding that spraying water with such toys at people driving moving vehicles such as motorcycles and cars may cause serious accidents.

Manufacturers in violation of the ban can be fined no more than Bt500,000, or face a maximum five year jail term, while sellers face a maximum fine of 50,000 baht or six months imprisonment, she said.

Members of the public can call the 1166 hotline if they see vendors illegally selling the banned water guns, Mrs. Rasame said.

The Songkran New Year water festival is regarded as one of Thailand's the most important traditions and the OCPB encouraged the public to stick to the more polite Thai traditions of splashing water respectfully when celebrating Songkran.

Songkran is the traditional Thai New Year's festival. It falls on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every April. The government has declared the festival as an extended public holiday, to enable people to return to their hometowns for family reunions, merit-making and reuniting with others in their community.

--TNA 2008-04-04

Your .....wrong ....... louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $$ and make fools of you....5555, .......................

Edited by Reimar
remove the flaming contents against an other member

Heh heh- no water guns eh?

That's ok- we've already got the 50 gallon drum that we'll put in the back of the pick-up. How will the poor pedestrians fight back if the powers that be take away they're little squirt guns?! It's gonna be a massacre! Ha ha ha!!! :o

Idiot spotted who has contributed to bring a gentle tradition to a nightmare. Any pride ?

There are thousands of them at people's homes. What about those? So, the users won't be fined? Well, that's smart again! Those who venture out will see nothing changed at all this year. We're in "Amazing Tailand!"

Who is going to fine a hardware shop owner who sells water pipes? This is again absolute nonsense!

Edited by Dario

Your dead wrong 'newby' louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $$$ and make fools of you....5555, the laugh is on you stupid falang who will be a primary target in the free for all. better stock up on your antibiotics!!!!

Wannabe thais - the worst kind of sub human (your no. 2 against the wall - after clayton)

Does this mean that NO waterguns may be used, or did they mean to say that only the high pressure ones are illegal?

Just ignore it. They said the same last year, and it was still chaos. Usual problem here, plenty of rules and regulations passed down from on high, but no enforcement.

I am getting out of town, as I and many others do every year. Am going to Philippines where I expect to see some rain, and a lot of wet t-shirt contests.

I shall not regret missing the immature punks here taking the opportunity misuse a charming Thai custom in order to assault strangers.

Speaking of Songkran,it appears that I will celebrate SOngkran for the first time.As I plan to take pictures with my SLR, what are the chance that they will also fire me with those water guns, or should I will just leave it home.

About 100%.

You'll need to find a place where you can't be hit to snap your photos, such as a balcony 4+ floors above the ground, or the inside of a car with doors locked & windows rolled up.

Last year I made video recordings on soi 8 in Pattaya (eg.,

) from a vacant construction sight across the street from the bars -- but even there, people aimed at me, often aiming directly at the camcorder.

Your dead wrong 'newby' louissmith...the insanity started when you tourist started comming over to throw water in a rude way. before that songkran was a polite holiday to honor the elders in a gentle way and the Thais saw it as an opportunity to milk your tourist $$$ and make fools of you....5555, the laugh is on you stupid falang who will be a primary target in the free for all. better stock up on your antibiotics!!!!

A few years back, I went to RCA on songkran night. I was the _only_ farang there (that I could see, all night), on all of RCA! And frankly, it didn't look much different than Khao Sarn Rd.

I've seen other areas with few farangs during Songkran, and the Thais can & do play just as wildly as the non-Thais, though not nearly as rudely -- I've never had nor seen a Thai use the high-powered PVC pumps to shoot a guy in the face at close range, can't say the same about farangs.

all this, just to amuse the tourist and bring them up to CM

It's not just Chiang Mai. I will as usual stock up with food and drink and let the poor unfortunates who have to go on the streets get colds, flu, eye infections, ear infections and - for some - dead. Happy New Year. RIP.

Yeah same insanity,stay safe chok dee,to those who go out,and sorry to say this,but farangs on holiday worst offenders at causing mayhem :o

I would like to play if i could use naepalm - you know that stuff the yanks liked to use in nam, maybe it will progress to fire and flame throwers in a year or two. After all it did originate with a sprinkling of water like a cristian blessing. I would settle for a 45 automatic though :o