Got New Laptop, But No Sound

Boater

Hi

I bought a SVOA laptop from Tesco, but the computer came with no software, but i have already installed this

The computer also has no sound? but has built in speakers?

My friend bought a HP from tesco and also it came with no sound, but he was able to download the software from HP website..

Can anyone advise if i can download a sound card or sound to my laptop... or any advise on how to get sound

I have already done the usal of checkinh control panel ect ect

Tx

The next step is a little bit weird as you have to pay for it. :o I'm sorry didn't knew it before.

Have you "Everest home edition" installed, so it could maybe retrieve some infos on the sound chipset ? Should be found searching the forum or in Google.

Thank you for this, i have gone to the SVOA website ( I did go there before but had troble navigating )

I am back in there again after the last post, do you know what driver i need to download? as the are alot to chose from?

Many Thanks

^ Good point, one other thing is some notebooks have a Function key + [key] to mute sound as well.

Regards

PS If you post the model number /code maybe a poster here has the PC and will be able to assist more directly.

Edited by A_Traveller

Hi

The model has two codes - Model code SE C2D 1600 and Product Code - M548SE

I entered the product code already, and it has come up with a number of dowloads. 2 being Audio, shall i download the one for windows?

Tx

^ yes, if that is your operating system, which begs the question did it come with Windows pre-installed?

Regards

PS A recent {couple of months ago} Windows driver update, which was optional, caused some audio devices to stop working and to rectify, one needed to download from the manufacturer, though this is purely as an aside in this case

Edited by A_Traveller

Ok

I have downloaded the Audio File, it downloaded as a zip file and i have saved on my Desktop.. when opeing the zip file there are alot of files in side

What is the next step?

Also i had to install windows, as windows did not come with the laptop

Tx

OK Try Function key +[F6]

From the manual page 1-11 this is the audio volume increase key, [F5] is decrease.

Regards

PS It appears you should have a program suite called VIA audio. You may have wiped it out when you installed XP.

Edited by A_Traveller

You have Bluetooth?

Do you have a CD which came with the PC? I most cases there will be the original programs & drivers on that.

Regards

PS If you have no sound how do you know it is 'already at full volume'. That not a rude question but an exploratory one.

Edited by A_Traveller

Hi

Just found the CD now - Devise Drivers & Utilities + Users Manual

Will look through now

With regards to sound at full volume, it mentioned 100% and a toggled on F5 and F6 to see what percentage the volume level was at

Tx

OK , found the Audio program , but came up with the same error message as before.

Installed components :

None

Fail to Installed components :

VIA HD Audio UAA Driver Setup Program v1.90beta :0xfffffffe

I'm about to go out, but try My Computer

->Properties -> Hardware {tab} ->Device Manager -> Scroll down to Sound, video and game controllers. There 'should' be a listing for the sound chip {e.g. Via HD Audio}. Left click on that and select update driver {from CD}. I.e. trying to force the system to see it. If nothing is listed, then check in Control Panel for 'any' audio icons and review these.

If NO icons and CD keeps saying there is no audio component, then SVOA might be your only option, but you'll need to set the system back to original spec, which was Linux, Dos, Windows Starter?

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Usually Bluetooth audio is for headsets, not the on-board speakers.

Anyway :-

SVOA

Phuket

156/3 Phang Nga Road, Taladyai, Muang, Phuket Thailand 83000

Phone :- +66 (0) 7623-2906-9

Fax : - +66 (0) 7623-2909

By the by what OS did the machine come with?

Regards

PS I was going to suggest deleting the audio element and rebooting. This should force the machine to realise it has "new" hardware and start the installation process but we are getting into the extremes.

PPS Earlier in thread it was suggested {byHP8000} to use a program called Everest Home Edition. If you haven't then search for it and download it [Link]. This will scan the hardware and show what "is" on the PC, open the Multimedia panel and it will show both Windows Audio & PCI/PnP.

Edited by A_Traveller

Ok, i uninstalled the audio AV Bluetooth, and nothing... still wouldnt install the Audio Hardware from the Disk

I think i will go to the shop

Thank you very much for your help A Traveller

Did you install an XP version with a SPIII release ?, If so and all is pointing to that because SPIII is missing the driver. Try this - you see in control panel - system - device manager an unknown pci device thats missing a driver. You need to download kb888111xpsp2.exe and open this on a pc with XP SPII because it will refuse to install on XP SPIII. Let it run till the first screen, look for a temp directory in the C-root, find the common files folder, there is the driver. Update the unknown pci card with the .inf and install this driver and finally the audio driver for the sound chip.